!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Turtle Field Railroad  (Read 17536 times)

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Turtle Field Railroad
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 09:19:12 am »
Depron is used extensively by r/c plane flyers to build their planes, so is readily available here in the UK  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 10:24:49 am »
I'm aware of Plastazote http://www.thamesvalleysupplies.co.uk/plastazote.php

but Depron is new to me (I.E. don't remember it) so looked for a link: http://www.depronfoam.co.uk/

Not done a price comparison yet but hope the links are handy.

Oh, and Mick uses a rubber based product but I'm leaving that link up to him!  ;)  :-X

Dave G

Offline Bubule

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 09:25:02 am »
 Hello,  :thankyousign: all again, for your comments !

Today i show you an evening view of the merchant row. The first green building is "Moes Tavern", The favorite place of Homer SIMPSON  :P You can see the Duff beer add on the rigth of the building. I is a superdetailled American Model builder laser kit. All the roof have been superdetailled. Streets Lamps are full scratch built with solded Brass tubes.

At the right of moe's you can see the Karl's Farm market. It is a grocerey. You can see a mom buying some fruits. She was late so she hasn't parked she's car very well  ;) The building is an heavy Kitbashing on a North eastern scale models laser kit.

At the right of karl's, take place the Acme general store. It love Chuck JONES cartoon's so it is wink to him. By the main window you can see accessories for the coyote : Bird seed boxes an dynamite pack with detonator. On the top an avertise say you that you can save money on Anvil's.

The last building is an habitation building. It is the same kit that the one used to built karl's farmer maket but putted togever from the box. So you can estimate the kit bashing work done on karl's.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:27:25 am by Bubule »
Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Offline Bubule

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 10:00:58 am »

Details on Acme general store AMB laser kit:

Interior with 1 euro cent's  :

In place :

Roof work on moe's tavern :

Interior details in moe's tavern :

And moe's zoom

Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Offline Bubule

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 07:07:47 am »
Hello guys !

I am waiting for some scratch building supplies to go forwar on the "spirit of denver" modules, so i will do a little flash back on the construction of some scenery elements on the Turtle Field part to wait ! :o

First i propose you a zoom on the S. GONZLES speed towwing and repair garage. It is the place to repair or feed in fuel all rolling vehicules in the Turtle field town.

To make the gas tank i used a tank rail car. I have remove chassis an made with plastic a retention. I also scratchbuilt the pump and brass pipes. The valves are comming from the tank car :

The primer from alclad II have been sprayed with an air brush :

I choose to affect the garage to the texaco gas supply company (love the star logo). I have paint with mask the white circle :

And now applying the mask of the star and painting the red, So the star will stay white  :

The retention have been painted in concreate and some whethering done :

I will post some more details on the construction of the S. Gonzales  Building.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:14:12 am by Bubule »
Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 10:01:44 am »
Nicely done, great modelling and lovely detail.   :admiration:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 10:06:38 am »
Have you submitted your work to Model Railroader?

You should!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 10:26:52 am »
I am in awe  :admiration:

cheers John.

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 12:24:48 pm »
just out of curiousity...

how do you do your roads/ level crossing? i mean how do you make it look that realistic?
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline Bubule

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 07:30:10 am »
just out of curiousity...

how do you do your roads/ level crossing? i mean how do you make it look that realistic?

For the road i have made a mix with 90% of molding plaster and 10 % vinylic white wood glue to get  a better aspect and a better schock resitance (the glue plastify plaster).
I have carefully spread this mix on the 5mm thick plywood sub-roadbed installed for the roads, with a spatula .
To get a smooth result you need to get a spatula large enouth to do the last smoothing in one pass. It very important.
If you do not you will have differances of level betwin pass and it not will be very nice to see.  :uneasy:

Here you can see the mix just after painting it in "road grey". The often mistake that model railroder do for roads, is to paint it too dark. Smaller is your scale, ligther your road grey need to be. N scale is a small gauge so you need to paint with some ligth gray :

All road painting is done with an airbrush even the main colour, the lines and base wheathering. Only the lastest wheathering ajustments are done with pigments powder applyed with a Paintbrush.

The Concreate slab zone are engraved with the reverse side of an hobby knife ( to get constant engraving width) in the same mix applyed by the same way (very large spatula nedded)
Notice that boarder have been digged to make a good level transition to the rest of the scenery:

Lines are air brushed with tamiya masking adhesive tape :

Same for peoples walkway marking :

I finely had the tires traces with a dark grey with double effect airbrush (not black !! Tires are NEVER blacks  ;) ) . If ou does have a good and precise double effects aibrush dont try this. It nead a very diluted paint and lot of very thick pass. The weathering appears slowly :

Will do another post for Crossing ... need time to write it  :P
Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Offline NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 08:39:59 am »
Here you can see the mix just after painting it in "road grey". The often mistake that model railroder do for roads, is to paint it too dark. Smaller is your scale, ligther your road grey need to be. N scale is a small gauge so you need to paint with some ligth gray
An outstanding post. Much there for me to assimilate. I've found roads, paved railways and platforms much more difficult to "get right" that I thought they would be. Some degree of experimentation is essential. On my recent layout I've been using mixes of plaster, Woodland Scenic scenery paints, and very fine "scenic dust" to add texture. Sounds messy, but works well, in my opinion. Lots of ink washes and dry brushing afterwards adds shadows and highlights respectively, but your airbrush technique is even better. I should try it.

Your point about faded colours is spot on, though contextual. I've got an excellent book called "How to Build Realistic Model Railroad Scenery" aimed at US modellers and the idea of using faded, washed out colours does seem a very American approach. It can work spectacularly well, and as you say, mimics the way colours seem more muted the further back you stand from things.

But in the UK where it's often wet and gloomy, I think darker colour palettes can work well. I think these can give a "it's just rained" appearance that's very authentic. Query: how would we model actual rain? Obviously not the raindrops but what about puddles? Gloss varnish?

The roads here are also different to those in the US. Darker tarmac mix compared to the paved and tarmac roads I remember when I lived in Nebraska. Possibly something to do with the smaller variation in winter/summer temperatures? But the really faded, almost cream-coloured roads you see in the US are pretty rare here, outside of motorways (freeways).

Perhaps it also has something to do with continental climate and lower latitude of the US, so there's more sunshine to bleach things? Lawns are dryer, woodland less lush, so everything has a more "beige" set of greens compared to the deeper "Christmas tree" greens you often seen in the UK.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 08:49:34 am »
Absolutely brilliant Jef, seems another reason I should invest in an airbrush.   :thumbsup:

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 09:07:55 am »
But in the UK where it's often wet and gloomy, I think darker colour palettes can work well. I think these can give a "it's just rained" appearance that's very authentic. Query: how would we model actual rain? Obviously not the raindrops but what about puddles? Gloss varnish?

Exactly what I'm doing on my layout ;)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=7251.msg230337#msg230337

I used satin varnish for general wet tarmac so it wasn't too 'mirror finish', gloss proved good for puddles on my test piece :thumbsup:

Paul
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:09:33 am by Sprintex »

Offline NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 09:09:44 am »
Query: how would we model actual rain? Obviously not the raindrops but what about puddles? Gloss varnish?

Exactly what I'm doing ;)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=7251.msg230337#msg230337

Looks amazing! Without wanting to derail (pun unintended) a thread about one particular layout, I'm going to have to subscribe to the thread about yours!

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Bubule

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 10:36:54 am »
 :thankyousign:

Today a video with Kato bi-level commuter train :

http://youtu.be/6ckcaqPtTp8?list=UUdiu8Syl5wuLnXd59tBtiqA

It is not a Rio grande prototype, but i love so much this cab cars you can drive on reverse  :drool:

To continue on the S. Gonlales Speed towing garage (Arriba, Arriba ! Ay caramba grosso mineto !  ;) )  , i will show you the contruction of the junk yard behind the garage.

I have wheathered some cars and trucks for it. i have used a decoration paint with two componements. One is an iron charged paint, the second is an oxidizer paint to transform the iron in the first paint into rust. Transformation take a day and is is a natural process you did not know how it will bee before realizing the process ... The result is surprising :

Here they are in place on the layout :

The garbage dumpster, and the loading dumpster mecanism of the Ford truck are scratch built.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:40:12 am by Bubule »
Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here