Bachmann Announcements 2017 models

Started by crepello, December 02, 2016, 10:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

My experience is with Zimo chips and they, once set up, give running (synchronized chuffs, electric whine or diesel grind) and random sounds (clanks, steam, whistles) on DC or DCC.  What you don't get on DC is the ability to toot your whistle on demand.

Carmont

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 12, 2017, 09:12:49 AM
My experience is with Zimo chips and they, once set up, give running (synchronized chuffs, electric whine or diesel grind) and random sounds (clanks, steam, whistles) on DC or DCC.  What you don't get on DC is the ability to toot your whistle on demand.

And, presumably, you don't get idling sounds whilst stationary?

Snowwolflair

Yes idling and any other speed determined sound programmed on the chip are automatic.  All you cannot do is deliberately call up specific sounds like bells, horns, doors etc.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 12, 2017, 10:08:18 AM
Yes idling and any other speed determined sound programmed on the chip are automatic.  All you cannot do is deliberately call up specific sounds like bells, horns, doors etc.

But presumably you need to maintain a small amount of current to the loco on DC to the idle noise? A problem for cab control?

Skyline2uk

Snowwolflair

Yes, if its set up properly it stops moving under 10% power and the sound stops below 5%.  not all sound chips will be the same.

47 years N

With respect. Rather than foaming about N scale sound (a waste of time IMHO) how about cleaning up the engineering on nem sockets so that they actually work like they are supposed to. Like European models. Sloppy finish makes couplers either point up or down and I for one don't see why I should have to intervene to sort them out when say fleischmann gets them spot on?
Second gripe. Has anybody noticed how easily wheels on B4 bogies pop out? Very troublesome on new MK2as.

Third (class) my standard 5mt won't do a crawl on DCC but DC is fine. They have to sort out this coreless motor thing if they are going to make more like this.
I am not impressed with the quality of engineering. Something goes wrong between the lovely CAD designs and what goes on in China i.e. quality control. 

I NEVER had this trouble with German and Japanese makes.  :veryangry:
I don't like roundy roundys. Took me just 50 years to realise 🙄

Carmont

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 12, 2017, 10:50:46 AM
Yes, if its set up properly it stops moving under 10% power and the sound stops below 5%.  not all sound chips will be the same.

This is interesting, I wasn't aware of that.

I am wondering however, is this not bad for the motor? Presumably the motor stops turning at 9% electrical power feed but that means it is in a constant state of stall because it is still receiving power. I'm not a motor expert by any means but can that be good for the windings? :hmmm:

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Carmont on January 13, 2017, 02:33:57 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 12, 2017, 10:50:46 AM

This is interesting, I wasn't aware of that.

I am wondering however, is this not bad for the motor? Presumably the motor stops turning at 9% electrical power feed but that means it is in a constant state of stall because it is still receiving power. I'm not a motor expert by any means but can that be good for the windings? :hmmm:

No, the chip turns the motor off completely at 10% of the range so its quite happy.  I'm trying to find a link to the article explaining how to do it.

On any DCC system you can use the speed table to determine where on a range the sound and motor start.

For instance I saw an American layout recently where a 4 loco train +60 gondolas, had the first and fourth loco with motor power but also with sound chips in the middle two dummy locos as well.  As the locos pull away two locos are heard but at half speed you hear the second and third locos start up.  It was very effective.

Mr PJ

Good evening,

I did write to Bachmann and asked for a split headcode Class 40 - pointing out its never been available before in "N", and low and behold 40141 has been announced.
I would like to think my email helped, but I might be deluding myself! After all I did also mention the 25/3, sadly not announced this year.

A good move with the refurbished 31's too. Not any use to myself being a modeller of early/mid 80's Highland mainline, but I am sure the new liveries will be popular. A re-vamped peak maybe some day?

I will also be getting 40159 when it comes out. 40141 is going to be sound-fitted, and the price quoted of £178.00 on one trader's site represents good value compared with the DC version. I might be able to do a de-coder swap for someone who doesn't want the sound, as I definitely do!

And Scotrail  Mk1 coaches too - very useful, though I seem to remember the Mk2 coaches carried the branding more often.

Cheers
Paul

RailGooner

Quote from: Ben A on January 11, 2017, 05:02:31 PM
..  I think it is often overlooked that you get a surprising amount of the sound functionality on DC. ...

Not guilty of overlooking it here. Because before reading this thread, I didn't know it.  :dunce:

scruff

I'm just wondering if the 40141 model is going to be the chicken or the egg... :-\ It has got me considering a DCC controller.. :doh: But... I was also rather taken with the Class 37/4 and West Highland coaches set... which comes with... :hmmm: you guessed it... :uneasy: a DCC controller. ???

Cheers
Mark

Dr Al

Quote from: GreatBigBlue on January 13, 2017, 02:25:55 PM
Third (class) my standard 5mt won't do a crawl on DCC but DC is fine. They have to sort out this coreless motor thing if they are going to make more like this.

If it runs fine on DC but not DCC then it's the DCC fit that's the problem, not the loco. Either the chip is badly configured or badly suited to the model.

Farish coreless motors are excellent, and I've neither seen nor heard of trouble with them.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

47 years N

Yes I have used a Digitrax decoder and a Gaugemaster (the same?). Seems I should use a lenz silver or something like that?
I don't like roundy roundys. Took me just 50 years to realise 🙄

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations