Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

My first Union Mills loco, and very chuffed with it I am too.

Union Mills G2 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Though it really needs a grimy urban setting.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Papyrus

I was in our neighbouring town, Burgess Hill, a couple of days ago, and walked past a shop I have seen many times before but never thought it worth looking in. It is called Rocking Horse Emporium and I've always assumed it was a charity shop, but this time I happened to spot through the window a display of Dinky Toys and Hornby trains among the bric-a-brac. I decided to investigate and found a shelf of N gauge!!  :D There wasn't much to interest me, but I found, and bought, this Powderham Castle for the princely sum of£40:

This may be a complete waste of money! I don't know whether it runs, although it looks well looked after, and I don't even model GWR. However, I bought it on the presumption of using the chassis to build a LNER Thompson A2 using a whitemetal kit of an A1. It may not be do-able, in which case it will probably appear on the Nporium in due course!

Nevertheless, I shall keep an eye on this shop in future.

Cheers,

Chris

Newportnobby

Maybe you've discovered the best source of Rocking Horse poo as well, Chris! ;)

johnlambert

For £40 you can't really go wrong. I doubt there could be much that can't be fixed on Powderham Castle. I've got one which will be fitted with scale front bogie and other details. It won't be as good as the new one (of which I have 2) but at least I'll have the satisfaction of doing the modification myself.

justintime

My Latest Purchase - Two SD70's & 24 Trucks :-)

Intercity

Very nice, those bethgons are really nice, but a full rake will be very very expensive!!( 110 cars plus depending on where in the country)

justintime

Quote from: Intercity on May 11, 2018, 04:04:54 PM
Very nice, those bethgons are really nice, but a full rake will be very very expensive!!( 110 cars plus depending on where in the country)

Yep, 3 boxes of eight at £110 a box, not good for the wallet but hopefully they will look pretty good once they are running  :D

My Latest Purchase - Two SD70's & 24 Trucks :-)

dannyboy

In an earlier post, I mentioned that 'VRC Hobbies' had some decent prices on twin pack USA locomotives -
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41294.0

Ten days after placing my order for two 'Burlington Northern' engines - look what arrived today -

The picture does not do them justice due to the artificial light. I have brought them to work to test but could not bring my test track as I think somebody might have said something if I had set up a 4' x 2' board!  :). I have tried the loco's on my rolling road and I have to say that they are very smooth and quiet runners. They are DCC Ready and, for €103 including post, I think I got a good deal. As you may be able to tell from the photo', the handrails have come adrift in a couple of places, but nothing that a spot of glue, (and magnifier), will not sort out.   :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Webbo

Hi David

Those Arnold U25C locos are a mighty fine deal. My friend has one (Northern Pacific) and I noted how smoothly and quietly it ran and how good it looked. Unfortunately, I'm already stretching rule 1 to breaking point and the road names available won't fit for me.

I'm wondering about your layout and whether you have a thread for it? I remember your previous layout which was UK outline, but you have mentioned several times on recent posts that you have US locos as well as at least two Japanese coaches. I have North American stock mainly with a bit of UK as well, but the Japanese equipment shown by railsquid and others looks pretty good and I'm tempted.

Webbo

railsquid

Quote from: Webbo on May 15, 2018, 12:51:46 AMthe Japanese equipment shown by railsquid and others looks pretty good and I'm tempted.

So sorry about that :D

dannyboy

I have to admit I am very pleased with the engines - and VCR Hobbies. I have bought a couple of engines from them in the past and never had a problem.
I have not got round to starting a thread for the latest layout, even though the first piece of wood was cut in January 2016!  :-[ mainly/partly, because, although I always had a basic idea for the layout, I keep changing aspects and, as we do, I do a bit, then a couple of weeks later think that it would look better if ..................... Plus, I am using Kato Unitrack for the new layout and if it has one drawback, Unitrack makes it so easy to change ones mind about a curve or the position of a point  :). However, the new layout is totally Rule 1, with mainly Diesel stock, but from the early days up to the present.  Having said that, because I keep getting tempted, (who allowed access to eBay  :doh:), I have over the last 12 months or so, bought some US and Japanese stock, if only because, if the mood takes me, I can have a day or two running just the US or Japanese stock. I promise I will not look at European stuff ...... honest!  :worried: There will also be a tramway! However, I am getting off the thread subject here, so maybe it is time I started a thread, as some of the layout is now fixed and I have just finished a tunnel that has 2 rail tracks and a roadway, (for the Faller bit), and is nearly 3 foot long!  :goggleeyes:
@Webbo
David.

Hailstone

A present for my 62nd birthday today, on test behind a "Schools"

Happy days!

Alex

daffy

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

David.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations