Variable feedback controller?

Started by belstone, September 20, 2014, 08:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belstone

Does anyone know whether it is possible to buy a DC controller with switchable (or even better, variable) feedback?  My older locos run much better on a feedback controller, the newer ones (especially with coreless motors) don't like feedback at all.  Could be a gap in the market there if no-one makes such a thing, but I've got too much on my hands with coupling design to expand into electronics right now...

Richard

tutenkhamunsleeping

ECM used to make an example in their 'Compspeed' range - don't know if it's still available but I know someone took over the production from ECM years ago.

Back in the 80s I used to use 2 or more DC controllers for just this reason - thing of the past if you ever go the DCC route.

PLD

ECM controllers were I believe made by the same firm as AMR controllers which has long since closed down.

The Kent Panel Controls range also used to have an option for switched feedback (I have two of their hand-held controllers with it and they are the best DC controllers I've found for N gauge) but they also are sadly no longer in production, though still turn up quite regularly second hand.

DaveGlew

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on September 20, 2014, 10:17:49 AM
ECM used to make an example in their 'Compspeed' range - don't know if it's still available but I know someone took over the production from ECM years ago.

Back in the 80s I used to use 2 or more DC controllers for just this reason - thing of the past if you ever go the DCC route.

Do you have any recent experience of using ECM Compspeed for N gauge.? I have 3 of these which I was going to use on a new N scalelayout but I've seen conflicting (and sometimes complicated) reports on them causing motor damage. A "real world" viewpoint would be welcome.
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations