Wrexham & Shropshire Coaches

Started by GWR-Kris, July 28, 2018, 04:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crewearpley40

morning bob. a man in the chilterns with two children who are employees of said company, sounds good. i, local and its a good thing your modelling their loco and coaches. did see a set down marylebone recently, thanks for helping shed some light on the transfers. chris

davidinyork

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on July 29, 2018, 09:34:42 AM
Frizinghall Models did do a set of Wrexham and Shropshire transfers that's what I used on my blue grey rake , Chiltern also had a D V T painted in Blue and White  in the same style as the silver grey ones which they used  , my number two son and daughter both work for Chiltern so I HAD to buy the actual set and the extra coaches ,well I thought  it's a good excuse anyway.
Bob Tidbury

As I recall the original intention was that Chiltern would have their own rakes (the parent company, DB/Arriva, had and still has a number of stored Mk3s), in a version of their then current blue and white livery. That DVT (which never received any branding on it) was as far as it got, as before anything else was done Wrexham & Shropshire (which had the same parent company) closed and the sets were transferred to Chiltern. They removed the branding but stuck with the same base livery colours as the sets had recently been refurbished and didn't need painting. Extra vehicles from the stored pool were used to lengthen the sets, and painted in the same livery, which was also retained when the power doors were fitted. The 68s which they took on lease from DRS were painted in the livery from new also. More recently, the slam-door mk3 set and the Class 168s have received a livery which is a cross between the original Chiltern and Wrexham & Shropshire, being mainly white and grey.

It is still possible to tell which are the ex-Wrexham & Shropshire coaches - all of the RFMs are, and the TSOs have different interior lighting than the later additions which were refurbished by Wabtec at Doncaster (who also fitted the plug doors to all of them).

Buzzard

@GWR-Kris

Suggest you look out for this Rail Express freebie, possibly from 2014, as it has information about coaches and locos in the pre-Chiltern days.

Bob G

Hattons have a Wrexham and Shropshire set with 2 coaches and DVT in their secondhand right now...at an amazing £255.
That's how rare these things are.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/391410/Dapol_ND101d_PO_Class_67_Bo_Bo_Diesel_67013_in_Wrexham_Shropshire_Livery_with_2x_Mk3_coaches_an/StockDetail.aspx

HTH
Bob

davidinyork

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations