Delay in receiving post notifications

Started by dannyboy, July 15, 2018, 09:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Prior to yesterday, my internet connection was always slow at home. I acquired a new wifi dongle yesterday which seems to be working at 4G speeds, rather than the 3G of the old dongle. For the last 24 hours, I have been receiving notifications about posts, but some of them are very delayed - the worst was received 47 minutes after the time of posting.** If I click on a post, email, or any other site for that matter, the response, compared to yesterday, is almost instantaneous. (Daft as it sounds, I find that quite a novelty  ;)). Because of the previous rubbish connection, I never noticed any delays before. Is this normal, likely to be something at my end, or something else?  ???

** By that, I mean the time the post is shown as being posted on the forum.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

I can't really help as I only get mails to say I have a PM (which includes notification of tagging) but only check my e mail a couple of times a day, if that.

Bealman

I am not much help either, living where I do, I go to bed here and when I get up in the morning there's a dozen or so notifications waiting for me.

I don't bother looking at the time they arrived as it's not in local time anyway.

:sorrysign:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

woodbury22uk

Although I can't vouch for earlier messages, I just received a notification at 9.47 am for a post made at 9.46am. So no delay I can see at present.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

dannyboy

I have just this minute received notification of your post, which is timed at 0950.  ???
David.

Bealman

dannyboy

I'm saying nowt - I have to live here!  :)
David.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: dannyboy on July 16, 2018, 10:42:57 AM
I have just this minute received notification of your post, which is timed at 0950.  ???

Well I received notification of your reply immediately.

You must be working in the Leitrim Stock Market. I understand that it is traditional for data to the outside world to be delayed about what is happening in stock markets to avoid people jumping on selling/buying bandwagons, or something like that.

So it's getting delayed somewhere in your email system. Now you have a faster Broadband speed, it may be time to reset it to fetch emails more frequently or quickly, if you have the choice.

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

dannyboy

Your reply notification was received at 1100 - 1 minute later! I don't know what is happening.  ???. As far as I am aware, other emails come through okay, although I will have a look at the settings menu. It is not important though.
David.

Bealman

Well you're receiving me, and me receiving you, all across the world, mate!

An idea,,,, I'll have  a beer!  :beers:

Oh of course. It's early morning there!  :beers:

dannyboy

I think it is the likes of Chris in Prague with their stories set in the 60s and involving time travel that have somehow upset the straight passage of messages.  :). It only seems to be messages And posts Relative to the filling In of a Space on the forum that Time enters another Dimension.   ::)
David.

Tank

This forum sends out hundreds of emails a day to members, so the forum automatically makes a list which is gradually works through.  This is so it doesn't cause too much work for the server at one time - along with other tasks.  There may be a short delay of up to an hour sometimes, but it's usually near instantaneous. 

dannyboy

That could explain it @Tank as a lot of the post notifications do come through quite quickly.  :thumbsup:.(Still blaming @Chris in Prague though  ;)).
And as for you @Newportnobby - I couldn't get the words to fit a sentence in the right order, so thought I would give some one something to think about!  :P

(Or could I blame the space continuum?)
David.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations