Country branch stations

Started by mojo, November 15, 2016, 08:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojo

I am adding a single line branch to include a country station and small goods yard to my layout. Supposed access for passengers and goods, livestock etc., will be via a road/lane into a point immediately in front of the station building and I would like to be able to provide entry to the goods yard by crossing the incoming rail track on the level without gates.
Is this at all prototypical?
Running stock is LNER pre-war.
Maurice C.

Bealman

I'm pretty sure it is, but I'm also sure that the definitive answer will be forthcoming!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

port perran

I'd agree.  I'm fairly certain that it is prototypical -especially at a country station. No doubt someone will come up with pictures in due course.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

PLD

The crossing location is OK if there is no other access to the yard - there are a few similar examples, but having the crossing totally unprotected is unlikely.

If the crossing leads only to the goods yard and is used only by railway staff, there may simply be a single manually operated gate on the approach side of the crossing only, to keep the public out.

dodger

there are ungated crossing on branch lines, not specifically for goods yards. All of the examples I know are on lines with a very limited service and trains ran at low speeds.

At my local station in the 50's and 60's there was a service of about 8 trains per hour and the only road access to the goods yard which was used by lorries from 3 firms a proper road level crossing, with gates on each side of the running lines, was installed. The gates were only opened when a vehicle required to access the yard.

Dodger

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations