Sell or strip down layout?

Started by bbdave, November 13, 2016, 10:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbdave

I am moving house in the next few weeks and I put my layout on eBay as there is no room in the new place for it in current form. The sale failed as the guy that bought it had no way of collecting it I have re listed it but I got to thinking last night is it more cost effective to strip down the layout and re use track work buildings etc. than sell it as a whole?

I am planning a layout that will fit my new space so will need track etc.

Dave

Steve.T

Hi,

So sorry you are forced to make this decision.
Unfortunately, layouts do not make anywhere near the money they cost to build by a long way.
But also it is a chore stripping down an old layout, and I guess can be rather upsetting if it is a cherished layout you have put heart and soul into.

So cost wise I would think you would be better stripping off what you can reuse, such as track, especially pointwork, and point motors etc. But on the other hand starting afresh with new points and flexible track would be much easier and would give you a more reliable new layout.

So it all comes down to whether you can afford to start all over with new or not I guess.

Do you have a link to the layout on Ebay ?

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

bbdave

To be honest it's the building I really enjoy doing but I do regret not using point motors etc. so I am never 100% happy with it and as it was my first layout attempt not the most interesting operationally. I will have limited funds for a while so using the bits would be a good option.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/n-gauge-layout-/162278489472?hash=item25c88d3d80%3Ag%3AllkAAOSwKOJYGlqc&_trkparms=pageci%253A30143e70-a98b-11e6-89ff-74dbd18006c6%257Cparentrq%253A5d36638e1580a60cd800f58bfffb4fd5%257Ciid%253A15

Dave

Steve.T

Dave,

Nice looking layout,shame it has to go.

But think "glass half full" rather than "glass half empty".
It's a chance to start again and try to put all your mistakes (or the mistakes you thought you made) right.

Do you have a reserve on it, if not I would if you still can with a bid on it. Also modify the description to say you want payment on collection, otherwise you will lose some to Paypal fees. No use in letting it go for next to nothing.

How easy do you think you can take the ballasted track up ?
If it will be difficult then you may end up with unreliable turnouts and regret it in the end, but if they are just down with copydex or pva then may be worth keeping the turnouts and maybe use them in the fiddle yard. That way if they look unsightly then doesn't matter and if they become unreliable then you are not destroying the layout to replace them. Also I would keep the buildings and reuse them.

Although a lovely layout I bet you only get a few quid for it on Ebay and some of that will go on selling fees and Paypal if they pay via Paypal.

Steve

Steve

bbdave

The ballast is pva'd down so a bit of a soak should see that up all the track is copydexed so again not to bad hopefully. I think taking it apart makes financial sense but it will be hard to do.

Dave

joe cassidy

It's a nice looking layout Dave - congratulations.

I particularly like the ballasting.

Best regards,

Joe

daffy

I would keep it and reuse whatever i could if I were you, and I notice you don't appear to have a reserve so it could go for a song and that would really annoy you.

I suggest cancelling the eBay listing altogether, which can be done, and I did it once.

Here's the link to eBay's help page on the subject:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/end_early.html
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Portpatrick

I have got 6 N gauge layouts to a running state since the late 70s.  Ambleside never got  to scenic state when we moved house and I had no room.  I managed to sell it for a small sum.  Grasmere and Morfa Nevyn were stripped of people buildings etc and dumped.  Some buildings were sold at subsequent club shows.  People, vehicles etc reused.  Abersoch went to a show in 2003 and I sold it there - I had indicated it was for sale - for c £250.  Just brought the stock back!  Portpatrick Town is still on the circuit, though after 10 years due for a little TLC.  But I really like it and will keep it for now.  Allanbrae is under construction.

Yes that is 2 inspired by the Lake District, 2 by North Wales and now to by Scotland.  I like mountains, fells etc.  We had some good family holidays in Wales and one of my grandmothers was a Scot (definitely not British!).  She was a member of the old Liberal Party to her death in 1966.  They were the only party in her lifetime  to want more independence for Scotland.  I do wonder how she would have voted in that referendum.

Steve.T

Quote from: bbdave on November 13, 2016, 10:29:41 AM
I will have limited funds for a while so using the bits would be a good option.

Dave

You might have limited time available as well if moving house  :no:

If you are downsizing then maybe you will have other possessions you need to get rid of due to lack of space so sell those on Ebay and make sure any money raised goes to your new layout  ;)

Steve

oscar

I had to stop using my loft ladder due to an accident, so had to downsize to my boxroom. I had great fun stripping, re-designing and re-building the now L-shaped one.

And loads of stuff left to Ebay!

silly moo

I'm in the same boat, we are going to downsize and possibly move country. My layout is 70% finished. If we do move country, I'm planning to strip the layout as I think with rising prices it will cost me a lot more to replace track, and some scenery materials. The only thing I will have lost is time, ballast, scenery materials and a lot of styrofoam.

I will have learned from this layout and hopefully the new one will be better.

:NGaugersRule:

Croxy

I would be inclined to strip it down and reuse what you like and have already purchased......due our recent burst pipe which rained water all over my layout I can attest that pva soaked in water will reactivate and release everything it's holding down......

I've taken all my track up....it was easy after the soaking.....  :worried:

Today's task is to rip up all of the scenery and tear down to the bare base board ............  :confused1:
If you like it run it......

bbdave

Thanks folks it is now off ebay and tomorrow deconstruction will commence.

Dave

Bealman

Following along with interest as I am having similar thoughts about my Beal & Castle Eden layout.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Buffin

A buyer has to factor in the time and cost for transporting a layout. Sadly Exeter isn't exactly central.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations