what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewPH

Right now: building Faller 222167. My first and possibly definitely my last laser-cut kit.

Drew
Ferroequinologist

Eltikon on the forum:  https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=59390.0
Eltikon on the web:  https://www.eltikon.online
Who am I?  https://www.drewtowler.com

KevTheBusDriver

Today - finish building a replacmeent PCB for signals WL50, WL55...

The LHS (for signal WL50) was built Wednesday afternoon, the RHS (WL55) was finished today. All I have to do now is find the inclination to go underneath and rip out the old board/s and wire in this one!

KevTheBusDriver

Two signals built today to replace old ones... the original WL50, WL55 were built in the 1980s using 3mm LEDs (the red LED has a resistor which gets VERY hot!). The new ones use 2mm LEDs from China(!) so look much better. The 'heads' complete with LEDs and resistors are available in sets of 10 (cheap). Search eBay for '10 sets Target Faces With 3-LEDs for 1:150 Railway Signal N Z Scale 3 Aspects'. The posts are Evergreen 3/16" plastic tube. The red aspect is 35mm above ground level. 4 wires go down the tube; one 'common' insulated black wire plus 3 enamelled single copper cores.

Unlike the old ones, these signals have common cathodes which simplifies the wiring. I'm going to use my own resistors (2K2 in R&Y, 10K in the G) which are already on the PCB I built.. these values 'tone down' the brightness to an acceptable level.

crewearpley40

Looking really neat Kevin. @KevTheBusDriver are you sourcing a ladder for those please?!

Maybe a small black id plate to identify the signal would be a nice touch

Chris

KevTheBusDriver

Quote from: crewearpley40 on March 09, 2024, 12:12:04 AMLooking really nest Kevin. @KevTheBusDriver are you sourcing a ladder for those please?!

Chris

Thanks Chris!
I've got some brass ladder somewhere and yes, the ID plates (which are black-on-white - 1970s) will probably come from the old signals. WL50 was actually installed at 09:00 today and works(!). More progress tomorrow, I hope...

crewearpley40

Quote from: KevTheBusDriver on March 09, 2024, 08:25:27 PM
Quote from: crewearpley40 on March 09, 2024, 12:12:04 AMLooking really nest Kevin. @KevTheBusDriver are you sourcing a ladder for those please?!

Chris

Thanks Chris!
I've got some brass ladder somewhere and yes, the ID plates (which are black-on-white - 1970s) will probably come from the old signals. WL50 was actually installed at 09:00 today and works(!). More progress tomorrow, I hope...

Chris

Thanks Chris!
Kev

Hi . Where did you source your signal ID PLates please?

Thanks Chris

KevTheBusDriver

Quote from: crewearpley40 on March 09, 2024, 08:28:32 PM

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Chris

Thanks Chris!
Kev

Hi . Where did you source your signal ID PLates please?

Thanks Chris

A lot of my 'tiny signs' I make myself; I use paint (!) to produce all the signs I need, then get a 6x4 print of the image at the local shop. Then it's just a case of cutting them out and glueing 'em on. I'll see if I can put one here...

that didn't work., I'll put one on a sep. post!

crewearpley40

That's OK Kev. I can envisage how you make them. Hope works is progressing!

KevTheBusDriver

hopefully a typical paint file of little signs...

another tip - if you leave a bit of the cut out photo in water overnight, it is possible (with care) to remove the backing paper to leave a very thin version of the pnoto... not as good as a transfer, but good enough for me.

crewearpley40

Thanks again

Very helpful, great tip and inspirational.

stevewalker

I'm currently part way through installing a scissor crossing - having soldered a multitude of droppers to is, as I don't want to rely on blade contact.

Dorsetmike

Refurbishing buildings from previous layouts that have been chucked"stored" in boxes, replacing chimneys, and general touching up scratches etc.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Southerngooner

Finally getting somewhere with the third rail on Brickmakers Lane. The first 4 500mm lengths are now in, using the wonderful, if bloody small (but perfectly formed), chairs from @RBTKraisee, installed in holes drilled via a (superb) jig by @Mr Sprue, and using 30 odd year old 2mm Association code 40 flatbottom rail, whose moment in the sun has finally come. Only 76 more pieces to go, at least I'm 5% of the way there....

Dave
Dave

RBTKraisee

Really happy to see those going in so nicely Dave!

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

KevTheBusDriver

Well WL55 is finally working... I managed to destroy the yellow aspect somehow, so after lunch today I replaced it (just the yellow) aspect! But it looks the part with a ladder. Image above was using a tablet (not bad?).

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations