Royal Mail Liveried Engines

Started by dannyboy, May 05, 2017, 04:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

From what I have been able to find out, the only rail engines in Royal Mail livery were a Class 325 4 car EMU. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_325). Do any of you knowledgeable forumites know if any company has issued an engine in n gauge Royal Mail livery?  ???
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

MJKERR

I would not even class a Class 325 EMU as a locomotive
That is correct, Royal Mail livery was never applied to any locomotive, it was agreed only to apply the livery to non-passenger carrying coaches

The livery was initially only applied to the TPO (Travelling Post Office)
At the time this would have meant to be most likely to be a Large Logo livery Class 47 or BR Blue Class 86 / 87, which was ideal to utilise such locomotives after their use each day / between days

Sectorisation took into account the Royal Mail livery, with the creation of the Parcels sector livery
As was typical with the initial liveries, this then became the RES livery
Royal Mail livery was also starting to appear on other coaches at this point, and expanded further once RES livery started to be applied
At this point was more common to see Royal Mail livery coaches hauled by such a locomotive

tutenkhamunsleeping

As mentioned above, RES and parcels sector liveries are the closest you'll get.  Still makes for a nice "Royal Mail"-ish sort of train, though:

90019 at Slindon 10/09/1999

Cooper

GrahamG

Again, not an locomotive, but some of the class 128, Gloucester RCW single parcels railcars were painted into the red Royal Mail Letters livery in the 1990s. I guess they were at least self-propelled!
Graham

scruff

I believe there was a class 108? 114 DMU in royal mail livery too..

Cheers
Mark

dannyboy

Quote from: Only Me on May 05, 2017, 08:19:29 PM
click the link in my signature if you want to see them.

Not sure if I am blind or stoopid, but what link  ???
David.

dannyboy

Quote from: Only Me on May 05, 2017, 10:04:23 PM
@dannyboy  sorry just click the picture of them in my signature ;)

Okay, I admit it, blind and stupid  :-[. For some reason, the nice red box at the bottom of the post would not correlate as a signature, (call it an age thing  :)). Thank you.  :beers:
David.

CaleyDave

There was a bit of experimentation of livery before the parcels sector (As It had become) decided on the red and grey livery.

One locomotive, 47522 Doncaster Enterprise was repainted in LNER green and carried "Parcels" Branding around 1987 (By 1988 it was removed as per the Farish Model).
http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0872000041000.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations