Which printer?

Started by dannyboy, February 29, 2016, 10:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

I have a cheap HP 2540 printer which I am quite happy with, using it for 'normal' printing. However, I was wondering what the general consensus was regarding printers that are better for printing downloaded printed paper/card kits etc. What printer would you fine people recommend? (Forget about colour lasers - I want to spend my money on n gauge  ;D).  :thankyousign:. David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

JasonBz

I cant help you here - mainly 'cos the very same question has been on my mind recently too! Printers, and what is good and bad confuse me somewhat, to say the least.....

themadhippy

Quote. What printer would you fine people recommend? (Forget about colour lasers - I want to spend my money on n gaug
you said no laser,and it aint really a laser,but im very happy with my £100 brother hl3140,print out  from scalescene are better than my elcheapo epson inkjet  and its a dam sight quicker
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Dorsetmike

A colour laser will cost less to run than an ink jet in terms of cost per page (mine work out at 0.5p per page, for your HP typically from 4.3p). I use an OKI colour laser, have done for about 10 years. I can print to card up to 230gsm and for backscenes can print up to 4' long "banner" paper

Cheapest OKI
http://www.printerland.co.uk/OKI-C301dn-P122971.aspx

The one I have (got it cheaper when it was on special offer)
http://www.printerland.co.uk/OKI-C531dn--P122974.aspx

I don't use OKI toners, I use cheaper "clones"  from Cartridge save, had no compatibilty problems.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Malc

I bought an OKI colour laser last year on Mike's recommendation and I am delighted with it. In addition to the normal printer facilities, you can print banners for back scenes.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

MikeDunn

Dissing lasers for no reason isn't very sensible  :P  Mine is an Epsom, and works quite well for me.  Prices for personal colour lasers are akin to inkjets, from what I recall (not looked into it for a while), as they make their dosh on the consumables.

However, as & when I want to do photo-quality imagery & use a high-end Canon with 7 ink cartridges.  It just depends on what the needs are ... ScaleScene stuff looks OK with normal inkjet or colour laser.

Railwaygun

before buying any printer, check the costs of a full set of original cartridges, and the cost/availability of clones.

New printers tend to take some time to have clone carts. available for them, and the cost of 0ne or two sets of originals can exceed the cost of the printer!

I have had several Dell colour / BW lasers  - clone carts readily available and cheap.
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Dorsetmike

Quotebefore buying any printer, check the costs of a full set of original cartridges, and the cost/availability of clones.

One of my reasons for mentioning the OKI colour lasers, clone cartridges are readily available, even Amazon do some.

You may look at the prices for toner and think they are dear, however they do either 3,500 or 5,000 pages, HP black only ink typically 250 pages for £7, 5000/250 = 20, 20x£7 =£140 which is a little more than I pay for a set of 4 toner cartridges  £138.59 which will give me 7,000 pages black and 5,000 each colour, taking it further an HP all in one cartridge (CMYK) does 330 colour, 480 black, and costs £42.47 so cost for 5,000  pages would be £640.45

I rest my case.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Greybags

Don't dismiss a colour laser ..

Much the same price as a good inkjet, toner last for ages, my last set lasted over a year, including daughter printing art work for art college and not overly expensive, my Samsung set of 4 toner cartridges cost less than £100, and they don't dry out if not used for a couple of weeks, and of course the toner is waterproof..  Ideal if you want to print on waterslide transfer paper.

No blocked inkjets and endless cleaning cycles wasting ink, or it dripping away into the bit of sponge in the bottom.

Colour laser is really the way to go... Far more economical in the long run...

dannyboy

Thanks to all for the opinions - may have to start looking at laser printers, especially 'Oki'!  :thankyousign:. David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

MJKERR

I put this same question recently, and is one of the reasons I looked at professionally printed papers
However, all the ones I want are "Print at home"

Thankfully there was a trader at this years Model Rail Scotland (if a little expensive)

The advice is to use any inkjet printer that uses a separate photo cartridge
You do NOT need to use the photo cartridge, but the printer is setup to print high quality images

The next issue is the paper quality
From memory use 200 gsm paper as a minimum

JasonBz

Quote from: dannyboy on March 02, 2016, 08:33:23 PM
Thanks to all for the opinions - may have to start looking at laser printers, especially 'Oki'!  :thankyousign:. David.

Same here :)
I always associate Laser with   :censored:expensive, but that seems to be not the case at all

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations