!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Centering Points when Fitting Motors  (Read 485 times)

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
Centering Points when Fitting Motors
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:37:24 am »
If like me you find it a complete Pain, then maybe the device I've created can help you too :-

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39774.msg480641;topicseen#msg480641

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
Re: Centering Points when Fitting Motors
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:10:44 am »
If like me you find it a complete Pain, then maybe the device I've created can help you too :-

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39774.msg480641;topicseen#msg480641

Hi

Great minds think alike. I made something like that (for fitting between the stock rails) from plasticard around fifteen years ago  :D

Cheers

Paul

Offline john12glen

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 07:42:38 am »
 :dunce: Can't see this link for some reason?

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 07:56:03 am »
All I do is centre the points from above then hold them in place with a couple of map pins, then fit the motor also centered from below, although I am using Cobolt motors which come out the box self centred.  Although I have had a couple fail after turning centering back on so only do it with NEW motors, but they are easy to install even with centering turned off.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline stephen lewis

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 06:11:16 pm »
As a relative beginner I had a real struggle with point motors, centrering and operation, but after fitting a 16v ac supply and capacitor discharge unit I could probably fit the motors at 90 degrees and they would still work, I do try to fit them correctly to the best of my limited ability anyway. I did give up on using the switched points as the travel allowed on n gauge track did not seem enough to throw the switch. I read on the forum about spacing the motor from the board to allow more movement for the switch, but as I am very unlikely to ever exhibit, I clean the point blades religiously and accept the odd failure.
Am I doing any other damage to the motor by taking this approach?

All the best

Steve

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything