!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The big flanges on old Farish locos.  (Read 3371 times)

Online Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
Re: The big flanges on old Farish locos.
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2018, 04:15:13 pm »
got the sprockets in the post this morning and the puller turned up from Hong Kong a week ago, will now have to pluck up the courage to pull the wheel set apart.

Paul

Offline JohnBS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17148
  • 2mm Association Number: 1577
  • 2mm scale, N-gauge, GWR 1900-40, Totnes, Ashburton
    • Awards
Re: The big flanges on old Farish locos.
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2018, 09:09:44 pm »
Hi all,
I've just come across this thread.
I have found that it is quite possible to take a bit off wheel flanges manually (I.e. without using power tools). I have just taken a few thou off a set of drivers for a 4-4-0 by using fine (600 grade) wet and dry paper on a sheet of glass. Before you start, measure the existing flange diameters with vernier callipers and decide how much you want to take off.  Hold the wheel pair with flanges on the paper and, with gentle pressure and a circular motion, start sanding. After about ten passes, rotate the wheels and repeat. Keep going until you get to the target reduction - in my case about 0.15 mm less in diameter (0.075 less in flange depth). When satisfied, lightly sand tangentially to the flanges with finer paper to smooth the profile and slightly round and polish the flange edges.
For bogies, I suggest that you check availability of suitable suppliers like N Brass (no connections).
Hope that this helps,
John BS
For more information see my blog: http://ashburton-and-totnes.blogspot.co.uk

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here