!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 36774 times)

Offline Mike Beard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #330 on: January 18, 2018, 01:55:57 pm »
Yes, cab rides - of course. And you can stop them and study them too. Thanks for that, there is never anything worth watching on TV though the Glacier Express was on Quest this morning.

Buying stuff from abroad is always a gamble. I've "bought" a Glacier Express 4 car add on from China and I don't know if it's on it's way or not. Given that I'll get one eventually I've bought the close coupling set almost as an act of faith. Plaza Japan are fine but their prices are in the mid-range and with VAT and PO charges added show no significant advantage over the domestic suppliers. PJ do have a large range of spares though. The eBay/PayPal guarantee is helpful when dealing with the more dubious suppliers.

Why are the Noch Ge4/4III's almost twice the price of straight Kato ones? Is there something I've missed somewhere? Bachmann/Hornby don't double the price when they revise their decoration.

Happy Modelling,

Mike Beard.

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #331 on: January 18, 2018, 03:51:10 pm »
Pricing in Europe is very confusing re Kato items, whatever their co-operative trade name, e.g. Noch.
Here are some notes in put together in 2016 and 2017 on the subject, with additions today:

I did comparisons of pricing of both GE and Bernina Express set items in Nov 2016.
In general, the cheapest carriage price I paid has been calculated to be from £17.00 to £17.50 each.
The current Gaugemaster price (as at Nov. 2016) per carriage was calculated to be between £23.75 and £25.00. (GM prices are a good indicator, though not infallibly, of UK SRP's). With these figures as a start point, sets containing locos were roughly evaluated, and the suggestion is that GE 4/4 III's in those sets could be considered to be priced at between £52.50 (cheapest I have paid) and £70.00 (based upon dearest current G/master pricing). This compares to stand-alone GE 4/4 III prices of between £148.00 and £160 (£152 is a common pricing), though Ruinalta 100 loco 74043 was only £105 at release in 09/2017 at GM, (and €199 or more in Europe!) but could be bought through Keith at Train Trax for only £75.60, though that was in one of his many 10% off periods, but still priced by him today, 2018, at £84.
In contrast, MSL in Germany (IMHO one of the best priced German/Swiss/Austrian sellers) still has the Ruinalta loco (part no. 74043 or 3101 depending on whether listed as a Noch or Kato item respectively) at €199.99. The Co-op liveried Ge 4/4 III is similarly priced, SRP €199.99 but discounted to €179.99. If I recall correctly, similar prices were or are found at other German retailers, such as DM Toys for such Ge 4/4 III's as Die Kleine Rote, and Heidiland (74037). Next to these I find MSL and others also list a few of the sets, for instance the Glacier Express Start Set (containing loco, two GE carriages, track loop and controller) for SRP €199.99 but discounted slightly to, e.g. €189.99.

Draw your own conclusions or inferences, but I conclude that locos (and carriages) in sets are a cheap way to go; single locos from some U.K. suppliers are not too bad compared to Far Eastern sellers, and non-UK European sellers are having a laugh!

Peesonally I prefer to buy in the UK rather than the Far East, not wishing to join the nervous wait for a delivery at an unknown additional cost. So far I have found Train Trax just fine, with some good occasional deals from Osborns and Scograil. The German retailers I use a lot for non-Kato items only.

N.B. Some of the above was written back in November 2016, with random additions to date. Exact pricings and availabilities have changed constantly in that time, and if it all makes no sense to anyone but me, then  :P

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:52:26 pm by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #332 on: January 18, 2018, 03:56:30 pm »
And just to add, I have no idea why two seemingly identical Kato locos, other than livery, such as Ruinalta and Heidiland should have such widely differing prices in the UK. Train Trax currently have them at £84 and £152 respectively.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:57:55 pm by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #333 on: January 18, 2018, 04:38:10 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just after Christmas I spent my Christmas money with TrainTrax. I bought the second EW1 set and I needed something to pull it. The Glacier Express starter set which has an undecorated loco - 644 - and two Glacier Express coaches with 3 lengths of track and a "putter-onner" were £96 while a single loco was £84. So for £12 I got two coaches, 3 lengths of track and a  "putter-onner". And that's just at one shop. Factor in Osborns and Gaugemaster and whoever in the UK before looking at Japan and Europe and you almost yearn for the stability of Hornby. Add in the likely reaction of HMRC and consequentially the Post Office and your looking to a First in Maths to make any sense of the prices. :dunce:

If TrainTrax had a permanent 10% discount then I could put my calculator away and always conspire to spend £100! But they don't so I cannot. :(

To sort of confirm what I said before it seems the base price for the Ge4/4II No 631 is $102.00  Now I'd willingly pay more for the "SIEMENS" livery one but only because I owe them my present state of comfort.

A long way away from track laying.

Happy Times,

Mike Beard.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 05:35:27 pm by Mike Beard, Reason: Ge4/4II info added »

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #334 on: January 19, 2018, 11:27:54 am »
I was talking about German pricing habits earlier. I've been looking at eBay for a PTT  bus, every Swiss station needs a PTT bus, and found several in Germany for about £20. Fair do's, not too much demand. However a postage cost to the UK of £22 is a bit silly to say the least. I just don't know why they bother advertising when shooting themselves in both feet. I'll ask young Michael at Osborns what he can do for me.

Happy Times,

Mike B.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #335 on: January 19, 2018, 04:48:52 pm »
And just to add, I have no idea why two seemingly identical Kato locos, other than livery, such as Ruinalta and Heidiland should have such widely differing prices in the UK. Train Trax currently have them at £84 and £152 respectively.

The Heidiland is a NOCH exclusive model and they keep the price artificially high to blend in with all the other overpriced European train models. Nothing to do with Kato's price politics. I would like to have a Lazzarini model but I am not gonna help to increase Mr. NOCH's retirement fund.

steve 

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #336 on: January 19, 2018, 05:11:36 pm »
I concor with the sentiments about the Noch locos. Interestingly there are always plenty about and certain folks are trying to "offload" their share at a reduced price but nowhere near enough.

However should Noch do the SIEMENS Ge4/4II loco I'd have an instant change of heart.

I'm hoping Train Trax will have one of their 10% brainstorms to coincide with the arrival of the first of the Kato Ge4/4II on these shores and give early warning so I can get over the magic £100 by buying one of those and one of the Albula locos as a batch.

Filisur Station arrived today but no time to take it out of the box yet but nothing wrong with it that Mr Revell's paints won't cure!

Cheers,

Me. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:11:26 pm by Mike Beard, Reason: Qualify Revell »

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #337 on: January 19, 2018, 06:42:50 pm »
I was talking about German pricing habits earlier. I've been looking at eBay for a PTT  bus, every Swiss station needs a PTT bus, and found several in Germany for about £20. Fair do's, not too much demand. However a postage cost to the UK of £22 is a bit silly to say the least. I just don't know why they bother advertising when shooting themselves in both feet. I'll ask young Michael at Osborns what he can do for me.

Probably just the eBay Global Shipping Program, have you messaged any sellers to see if they’d do a better price?

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #338 on: January 19, 2018, 06:50:41 pm »

Happy Times,

Mike B.

DM Toys have a Mercedes Citaro PTT, priced at €24.29. Their shipping to UK is €10.
At today's rates that about £30 delivered.

https://www.en.dm-toys.de/produktdetails/items/Faller_974569.html
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #339 on: January 20, 2018, 06:19:21 pm »
On another track entirely it was Running Day at the Railway Inn at Yatton station today. The WsM branch of the N Gauge Society was out in force.

I took the Ge4/4III to see how it would run. Very well over Peco track and pointwork of all types. That's given me the confidence to move forward with the layout design.

Happy Modelling,

Mike Beard.

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #340 on: January 21, 2018, 12:43:02 am »

DM Toys have a Mercedes Citaro PTT, priced at €24.29. Their shipping to UK is €10.
At today's rates that about £30 delivered.

Busch 8339 is the pair of Mercedes vans for Swiss Post. One is the minibus version which are used on quieter routes and where the road is not suitable for larger ones.

Model Masters currently showing 2 in stock

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:48:19 am by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #341 on: January 21, 2018, 03:29:52 am »
ModelMasters are at the other end of WsM to me. Unfortunately they are £3 more expensive than Osborns. :o
I was thinking about somebody's VW T3's, one a van, the other a Postbus of some sort. But thanks for the "heads up" on them, :)

Mike Beard.

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #342 on: January 21, 2018, 11:25:49 am »
Just a couple of observations.

1     Plaza japan are selling Ge4/4III body spares. No photograph but talks about 651. I'm wondering if by buying that body and a "cheap" Ge4/4III I could get an expensive Noch loco at a reasonable price?

2     Would it be any help if Tomy were to do, say, a GE4/4I to fit on one of their many super chassis?

It's Sunday morning and I'm full of cold so the brain is not working that well.

BTW   Seen elsewhere Peco wholesale prices go up by 6% from Monday. That's double UK inflation Ouch!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:27:22 am by Mike Beard, Reason: Stupidity »

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #343 on: January 21, 2018, 12:49:08 pm »
Just now it's snowing at Filisur and the Landwasserviadukt. To see some vehicles not normally seen I'd have a look now.

Shapeways where are you?

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #344 on: January 21, 2018, 01:40:36 pm »
I was thinking about somebody's VW T3's, one a van, the other a Postbus of some sort.

Do you mean this Lemke Minis set?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minis-LC4315-VW-T3-2er-Set-PTT/401127552442
(€20.66+€10 shipping to UK)

I am not sure that the VW bus would be used as a Postbus? Looks more like this would be for PTT workers (phone line maintenance or something like this). But maybe on some lines a VW bus would be sufficient as a Postbus to connect very small villages?

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here