!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 33744 times)

Offline retica

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #375 on: January 23, 2018, 12:10:53 pm »
and I've been charged £12 on a £30 order

:worried: That's bloody daylight robbery that is. What are they trying to achieve with that, that you buy domestic ? We have a NZ $400 threshold (including shipping cost) for now but retail NZ is demanding that we get charged GST (VAT) on everything we privately import. Great. I don't mind paying GST on stuff I import, what I do not agree with is that I have to pay a fee to cover the time to issue my invoice.

steve     

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #376 on: January 23, 2018, 12:35:13 pm »

:worried: That's bloody daylight robbery that is. What are they trying to achieve with that, that you buy domestic ? We have a NZ $400 threshold (including shipping cost) for now but retail NZ is demanding that we get charged GST (VAT) on everything we privately import. Great. I don't mind paying GST on stuff I import, what I do not agree with is that I have to pay a fee to cover the time to issue my invoice.

steve     

Usually my parcelforce fee is just low enough to make the purchase from Japan viable and cheaper than UK price.

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Mike Beard

• N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
« Reply #377 on: January 23, 2018, 01:29:18 pm »
It's a fine calculation. At the moment 3101's are cheaper in the UK as are EW! carriages if you add in VAT @20% and the £8 Post Office fee. Allegra units are cheaper in Japan. NOCH derived locos are expensive everywhere. The DCC and "Glacier Express on Tour" sets are generally unavailable in the UK.

A number of companies are taking forward orders for the Glacier Express Add-On sets for delivery in June.

Quite what the UK supply situation will be for the Ge4/4II is unknown at the moment.

I think Kato announced the Ge4/4II this time last year, I wonder if anything will be said next month?

Mike Beard

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #378 on: January 23, 2018, 02:11:37 pm »
It's a fine calculation. At the moment 3101's are cheaper in the UK as are EW! carriages if you add in VAT @20% and the £8 Post Office fee. Allegra units are cheaper in Japan. NOCH derived locos are expensive everywhere. The DCC and "Glacier Express on Tour" sets are generally unavailable in the UK.

A number of companies are taking forward orders for the Glacier Express Add-On sets for delivery in June.

Quite what the UK supply situation will be for the Ge4/4II is unknown at the moment.

I think Kato announced the Ge4/4II this time last year, I wonder if anything will be said next month?

Mike Beard

One problem compared to the early days of Kato RhB is the change in the exchange rate / value of the Yen. My early purchases from Japan were much cheaper even adding on the Parcelforce 'handling' fee

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #379 on: January 23, 2018, 02:15:49 pm »

Yes, I was displeased. The postman suggested I didn't pay it, when it would be returned to the sender after 2 weeks. It was £8 fee and £4 duty. With Parcelforce the fee is £11.50, which is even more annoying on comparatively low value goods.

I only do it if it's head and shoulders cheaper. I got my Kato Eurostar from Japan, and even with fees it was vastly cheaper than any UK retailer. If it's marginal I'd not do it personally.

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #380 on: January 23, 2018, 02:33:28 pm »
Todays delivery was a Kato 10-1318 which cost about £115. Add 20% VAT and the Post Office at £8 and it's about £146. Look up how much it is in the UK. Makes no sense. But the Bernina Add-On packs, 10-1319, seem to be in an oversupply situation and so are not worth the risk of a personal import.

It will be interesting to see the "Pricing Policy" for the Ge4/4II.

Mike Beard.

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #381 on: January 23, 2018, 09:11:36 pm »
I've been looking and NOCH make spirals. Have a look at their 53026. Interesting. It looks like the components are available separately.  45 degree components.

There is also a 33 minute video on you tube but he does not say how he joined the 180degree segments to make 360 and he uses nails to hold the flexitrack in place so I was less than impressed.

The search goes on,

Mike Beard.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #382 on: January 23, 2018, 09:28:43 pm »
It will be interesting to see the "Pricing Policy" for the Ge4/4II

I ordered mine from Hobbysearch *in Japan for JPY7650 (which is roughly £49.50 or NZ $94.30 according to *the website www.xe.com). They are a bit more expensive than *normal JR *Japanese models, I just got an email *(from Hobbysearch) that my **DF200 are ready @ JPY5780 a piece *(which is roughly £37.40 or NZ $71.20).

**DF200

steve 

* Edit: tried to change the code into something making more sense and more understandable. Better ?   ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:29:01 pm by retica »

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #383 on: January 23, 2018, 10:50:20 pm »
It will be interesting to see the "Pricing Policy" for the Ge4/4II

I ordered mine from Hobbysearch *in Japan for JPY7650 (which is roughly £49.50 or NZ $94.30 according to *the website www.xe.com). They are a bit more expensive than *normal JR *Japanese models, I just got an email *(from Hobbysearch) that my **DF200 are ready @ JPY5780 a piece *(which is roughly £37.40 or NZ $71.20).

**DF200

steve 

* Edit: tried to change the code into something making more sense and more understandable. Better ?   ;)

Difficult to say!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:51:40 pm by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #384 on: January 23, 2018, 11:35:44 pm »
Difficult to say!

I got an email that my post wasn't understandable so I added some more words. But if it is too difficult I could also simply delete it, would that be better ?

steve   

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #385 on: January 24, 2018, 08:41:30 am »
I understand it perfectly (reading with or without the red bits), just leave it, not sure how it can be confusing. :)

I've been looking and NOCH make spirals. Have a look at their 53026. Interesting. It looks like the components are available separately.  45 degree components.

You can always glue track, just because the video uses nails doesn’t mean you have to. Various people make spirals, Proses also spring to mind. Generally designed for hidden helices though, rather than anything scenic.

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #386 on: January 24, 2018, 08:58:25 am »
can you point me towards the Proses spirals please,

Mike Beard

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #387 on: January 24, 2018, 09:32:26 am »
Mmm they may not be doing them any more, their website has a section, but doesn't list any products. They were acrylic, rather than wood. Model Railway Solutions do them too.

Again though - these are all generally designed for hidden storage loops with multiple spirals, are you looking for something like that, or do you want a scenic spiral, like the Brusio viaduct? In which case you'll likely want something supported differently and will be best served building it yourself. Note also that nothing is anywhere near 5% gradient.

We're also digressing - there's quite a bit of information on the forum about helices, perhaps have a search (using Google with the modifier site:ngaugeforum.co.uk)?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:35:43 am by njee20 »

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #388 on: January 24, 2018, 10:55:44 am »
Actually the Model Railway Solutions helix looks good. Only trouble is that the radius is just too large for a portable layout but me and my calculator, 4mm MDF instead of 6 and I should be able to come up with something interesting.

Thanks for posting that link,

Mike Beard.

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #389 on: January 24, 2018, 12:41:02 pm »
@Mike Beard - I am very interested in the details of your layout plans, and look forward to the developments. Could I recommend that you begin a new thread in the Layout Planning and/or Layout Construction sub-boards to keep all these future details together, and thus maintain the integrity of this thread, which should be primarily about views, opinions and announcements of the Kato RhB series.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything