Different coupler types (and changing couplers)

Started by Pjlons83, November 19, 2017, 07:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pjlons83

Hi All,

My "collection" currently includes 2 ebay purchases; both with different couplers. I assume it's possible to swap coupler types? How simple is this/where do I start.

Of the 2, this is the type I prefer. It's on an Atlas engine. (Please ignore the state of the wheels/general condition..... that's a subject for another thread!)

This one was listed as Atlas but I can't see a makers name on it anywhere. Could I swap this for the type in the top photograph? 

Any general hints/tips or links to "How-To's" would be much appreciated from this newbie. I am confident to try things like this myself given enough information so again any hints on specific tools required or pitfalls to avoid etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
Gold Hill - my rule 1, "just for fun" micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

ntpntpntp

So... the type you prefer, as on your loco, is what's commonly referred to as a Rapido coupling as it was first introduced by Arnold Rapido back in the 60s.  Fortunately they were happy to licence the design out to other N gauge brands so all N gauge models can have a compatible coupling (unlike the mess you get in other gauges).

The original Rapido used a "T-shank" fitting at the rear, which fits into the coupling box, with a spring behind it to apply some pressure which gives us the lift-up and automatic return to horizontal. The coupling box is then usually covered with a small plate, but there other other designs where you can insert the T shank from the front and then twist 90 degrees into position.  There have also been designs of Rapido coupling with don't use the spring, eg. very early Graham Farish couplings, and also Peco's "Elsie" coupling  (ELC = Easy Light Lift Close Coupling).

Over the years other coupling designs have been introduced, each with it's own benefits or drawbacks.  More recently, models have been fitted with an "NEM" coupling pocket, a standardised design which allows plug-in replacement couplings with perhaps a different design, depending on what you want.  Certainly the old Rapido is a bit large and ugly, but at least it works reasonably well on just about anything.

Now, as to your little caboose:  I'm not totally sure exactly what coupling you have on that one - one of our American modellers will no doubt recognise it?    It may be that the only way to replace that coupling is to replace the entire bogie(s) on the model?  You could try removing the bogie (looks like that centre pin will pull out) - maybe try gently prising the bogie away by inserting a thing screwdriver or blade between the bogie and the chassis?

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Pjlons83

Thank you for the reply. After a lot more googling I believe the one on the caboose may be called an "Intermountain" coupler. Which has since been replaced with "micro-trains" couplers?

http://www.nscaledivision.com/information_on_couplers.htm

No mention of Atlas using these though so maybe it isn't an Atlas. Be interested to hear anyone's thoughts.

Paul
Gold Hill - my rule 1, "just for fun" micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

ntpntpntp

Yeah, does look like Accumate / Intermountain couplers on your caboose.  It's possible the trucks were replaced on whatever model it is you have.  Is there definitely no makers mark at all on the caboose?  I've have guessed maybe Bachmann, but I'm not an American N modeller.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations