!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 118303 times)

Innovationgame and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2016, 01:57:41 pm »
I have two "Castles" and one "Hall" (all awaiting DCC-fitting): Graham Farish by Bachman N - 370-150 BR 7004 "Eastnor Castle" - Double Chimney; super-detailed Graham Farish N - BR 4096 "Highclere Castle", Graham Farish by Bachmann, and N - 372-000 "Hall" Class 4-6-0 5955 "Garth Hall" BR Green as well as, here (DCC-fitted) 7816 "Frilsham Manor", GWR 4-6-0 Locomotive, Ixion Model Railways - super-detailed. (Really anything bigger than a "Mogul" 2-6-0 would be too heavy for Cant Cove's RA.
It sounds as though your RA is somewhat lower than double red!  Do you have another layout to run the big locomotives or have you simply got a lot of surplus motive power?  Or are they intended for Penmayne which, as far as I can see from your various posts, is yet to be built (please correct me if I'm wrong)?

My DDC concepts Cobalt PSU 2+ arrived today so, when the main controller arrives (and of course the track) I will have plenty of power for the Digikeijs controllers to operate the Seep PM1 point motors.  I decided on an auxiliary power unit because some of the routes operate 8 points simultaneously and almost all operate 6.  Unfortunately, I didn't realise that it comes without a mains lead, so I have just ordered one.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:28:42 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2016, 09:46:52 pm »
In real life, Laurence, for use as a wartime diversionary route, Bodmin Junction to Wadebridge was upgraded to take GWR 43XX 2-6-0s (presumably the maximum the SR North Cornwall line could take) but that was all. I have stretched that to "Manor" Class instead. (However, "Castles" and "Halls" are really 'Rule One' so are not scheduled in the WTT and are at the end of the DCC-fitting list. My two "Castles" have personal significance.) However, from Wadebridge to Penmayne is a short extension if the WR CCE was persuaded in the Late 1950s that the Bodmin Road-Wadebridge line needed further upgrading to carry peak summer Saturday traffic (Penmayne, the terminus, being the population size of Newquay rather Padstow). (In any case, in my alternative North Cornwall, Padstow was rail-less and a very small fishing village the opposite bank of the River Camel from the bustling port and resort of Penmayne!) However, "Kings", never!

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2016, 07:54:15 am »
Moreton-in-Marsh would certainly have seen Saturday holiday specials, but I'm not so sure about the re-sited location of Morton Hinmarch.  However, there were regular Saturday holiday specials running through Leamington Spa General, so I think a few could be diverted via Morton Hinmarch.  The only problem is what to do with them when they're not running.  I suppose I could think about having a Holiday Saturday running day, but that would involve considerable stock relocation.  Nevertheless, it's a thought for the future.  After all, when (and if) I get everything completed, I will need something to continue to challenge me.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2016, 09:29:18 pm »
Really good news today.  My BIG Hattons order is due to be delivered tomeorrow.  I'll get a one hour slot in the morning.  So, although the baseboards have still not arrived, I will at least be able to lay out some track on the wallpaper table, set out some trains and take some pics.  I made an error ordering the track.  By mistake, I ordered concrete sleepers instead of wooden sleepers.  Now I know that Moreton-in-Marsh didn't get concrete sleepers until the seventies, but I'm not sure about Morton Hinmarch.  If I use the modern prototype technique of leveling up the ballast with the tops of the sleepers, it may not be not be so noticeable. 

I have taken a picture of the auxiliary power supply that came yesterday and you can also see some heat shrink that came from Radiospares.  I have also some red heat shrink and a DPST on order from RS.  The heat shrink is to identify the bare bus wires and the DPST to switch the program track from Program to Main (and vice versa).

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2016, 10:12:18 pm »
Concrete sleepers were in use well before the 1960s so you can justify having them on the mainline but you would need wooden ones elsewhere, I'm afraid, Lawrence. Is all the track you ordered / have concrete sleepered?

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2016, 07:04:52 am »
Yes, I'm afraid it is.  I didn't realise that I'd clicked the wrong part number until I checked what was coming.  I'll just have to bury the sleepers in the ballast in the station and on the branch and make sure there's plenty of ash between the tracks.  The point work is all code 55, so that should be OK.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2016, 08:14:38 am »
Can you ask the seller to swop them, Lawrence?

Offline Fardap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26027
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2016, 08:18:00 am »
Can you ask the seller to swop them, Lawrence?

I am sure a decent supplier would if you asked them, seems a shame not to have the correct track from the start and you will always be looking at it and wishing you had changed it, well I would...

I would call them and explain see what they suggest

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2016, 08:30:27 am »
I have sent Hattons an Email, so I will see what they say.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2016, 08:37:12 am »
I'm sure they'll change it for you.
You'll just have to pay the extra postage.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2016, 08:41:15 am »
Agree with all of above.

If you're gonna do it, do it right.  :thumbsup:

As CiP says, you'll be looking at it in the future and wishing you'd changed it.

Sending it back for exchange and waiting a bit longer will be worth it in the long run.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:42:57 am by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2016, 09:26:40 am »
Hattons have confirmed that they will change the track, but I don't think I'll need to send it all back because I need about 20m in each set of hidden storage loops and it comes in 30m packs.  In fact, if I use concrete sleepers on the main, outside of the station, I should be able to get away with changing only one pack for the branch and station.  It would be good to keep at least one pack so that I can set out some of the trains for photos.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2016, 09:58:33 am »
Sounds good to me!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2016, 11:22:05 am »
Hattons have been very helpful when I have made the occasional goof.

In my experience, it's always handy to have a couple of extra lengths of flexi to cover changes of plan and/or 'user error'! :doh:

Hope the boards arrive soon so you can start laying down all that track.

Dave G

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2016, 11:25:03 am »
Looking forward to those train photos.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here