Which coaches

Started by TrevL, April 24, 2018, 04:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevL

I realise under Rule 1, I can run whatever I like, which I do, however having just made an impulse purchase of a
Graham Farish 372-535 Standard Class 4MT 2-6-4TBR black, early crest loco, I was wondering what would be suitable coaches for this to haul?   I'm not looking for perfect authenticity, close enough is close enough.
I've seen some Mk 1's in maroon, would these be ok?
I've looked at Hattons website and they give the era's of locos, but not coaches.
Also how many would be typical?
TIA.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Intercity

If it's preserved and mainline certified then any Mk1s either matching or otherwise could very well fit on any layout, but then that would very much be a rule one operation.

joe cassidy

I run Farish non-corridor Mk.1 suburbans behind mine (crimson livery).

Best regards,

Joe

TrevL

Quote from: joe cassidy on April 24, 2018, 05:59:56 PM
I run Farish non-corridor Mk.1 suburbans behind mine (crimson livery).

Best regards,

Joe

Thanks Joe, how many?
Cheers, Trev.

joe cassidy

My formation is:

brake second/composite/first/composite/brake second

but this is not prototypical.

I have a copy of an article about the real formations somewhere. I'll try to dig it out over the next couple of days.

Best regards,

Joe

TrevL

Thanks Joe, that would be very helpful.
:thankyousign:
Cheers, Trev.

joe cassidy

According to the article by Steve Banks in the January 2007 issue of "Model Rail" the composition of suburban trains from Marylebone/Kings Cross were as follows.

Marylebone : brake second/second/second/second/second/brake second

Kings Cross: brake second/second/second/second/brake second (1954 onwards)
                   second/second/brake second/second/second (1965 onwards).

So,on the ex-LNER, 5 or 6 coaches.

Best regards,

Joe

Newportnobby

Given the running number is 80027 your loco spent all its time in Scotland....

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=80027&type=S&loco=80027

if that helps any experts with coach type.

Phoenix

Hi Trev,

I have been in exactly the same situation as you, and had awesome help from here.

There are some fabulous people here who are so generous with their knowledge

:NGF:  :NGF:  :NGF:

With kind regards
Kevin

:beers:

dodger

There are some photos of BR 2-6-4T working on the Dumfries  to Kirkubright line hauling 2 Stanier corridor coaches in Steam World this month.

Dodger

Steven B

The standard 4MT Tank engines were used on secondary main-line and branch line trains (including commuter trains). In the early BR period they'd be unlikely to be paired with rakes of Mk1s in Maroon - these would be the primary mainline trains.

Much more likely would be BR suburbans or LMS/LNER/GWR/SR build coaches in either crimson or crimson and cream. Pick a train length to match your layout size (and length of any express trains you run) - three to eight coaches would be typical. Also, the trains hauled by these locos would be unlikely to have a large number of first class seats (a composite 1st/2nd class would work well), or a buffet/restaurant car.

Steven B.

PLD

The Class 4 Tank really was a "go-anywhere, do-anything" loco and examples were allocated to every region of BR so there almost isn't a wrong answer...
Equally at home on Suburban commuter services, medium distance interurban or country branchlines anything from pre-grouping non-corridor stock through 'big 4' types to the then latest Mk1s; anywhere between 2 and 8 coaches...

When the loco was in Early Crest livery the coaches would mostly be in BR Crimson & Cream livery (Corridor stock) or Plain Crimson (Non-Corridor stock)

TrevL

Quote from: PLD on April 25, 2018, 09:22:44 PM
The Class 4 Tank really was a "go-anywhere, do-anything" loco and examples were allocated to every region of BR so there almost isn't a wrong answer...
Equally at home on Suburban commuter services, medium distance interurban or country branchlines anything from pre-grouping non-corridor stock through 'big 4' types to the then latest Mk1s; anywhere between 2 and 8 coaches...

When the loco was in Early Crest livery the coaches would mostly be in BR Crimson & Cream livery (Corridor stock) or Plain Crimson (Non-Corridor stock)

That's very helpful, thank you.
Cheers, Trev. (ex Riley High School)
Cheers, Trev.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations