Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

People often say that I can be a bit cold.

Quote from: Papyrus on April 29, 2018, 09:30:13 PM
an emotion heater.

Where can I get one? :D

dannyboy

I have an emotion heater at home. Unfortunately, she does not always heat the emotions I want heating!  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on April 29, 2018, 09:41:11 PM
I have an emotion heater at home. Unfortunately, she does not always heat the emotions I want heating!  :)

Now that's what I call living on the edge, David :worried:
I just hope your emotion heater wasn't looking over your shoulder at that moment in time

dannyboy

I'm not daft  :no:. I am at work and the lovely Louisa is at home 15 miles away.
David.

Newportnobby

Ordered 10 x Dapol BR weathered 20T mineral wagons from Rails whose website stated "Availability: Ordered on request" and received an acknowledgement telling me delivery would be approx 7-10 days. I've now received an e mail today from Rails stating their delivery from Dapol has arrived and there were no mineral wagons on it. When they contacted Dapol, Rails were informed they were discontinued.
I'm not really a happy bunny :unimpressed:

dannyboy

So they will be appearing on ebay in a few days marked 'rare' !  ;D
David.

silly moo

We have just been traipsing around looking for an electronic item that was supposedly in stock at three different stores. The stock was shown on their computer system but when we got to two of the stores there was nothing. Eventually after quite a bit of time and petrol, it was third time lucky.

Ian Bowden

Quote from: Zogbert Splod on March 06, 2018, 01:07:35 PM
I have not been in possession of a television set for many years now.  I don't like television.  Since I moved into my current address, some seven and a half years ago, I have had three visits from TV license plonkers, i have also had three letters from them asking me to purchase a license and to provide proof of having done so, or let them know that I don't need one.  I have responded to this online each time.  That's all OK (ish)...   However, today, I got a letter advising me that I am to be visited by an 'enforcement officer' to confirm that I do not have a TV and that I do not watch live broadcasts on line.
The attendance at my door of a 'representative' wishing to confirm that nothing has changed I can deal with.  But an 'enforcement officer'?  Really?
While I question the morality of the thing in general, I also have to wonder how much of the licence fee goes to checking up on whether people are paying their licence fee!  It seems that there is a visit to an address every 5 seconds, day, evening - including weekends. 10,101 visits a day they say.  I wonder how many people, on the streets and in various offices around the country, are involved in this.  I wonder what the total cost of policing this is.
It's the implied threat of a visit from an 'enforcement officer' that has got me wound up.  Does anyone else find that offensive?
They probably have a few people running round pretending to be a lot. I am dubious of the figure of 10,101 visits (a nice round number) a day as that equals 2,626,260 visits a year (based on 5 day working week). With the average household comprising of say 3 people and a population of 65,000,000 that equates to about 1 in 10 households not having a TV licence.
I get these threats regularly, my usual answer is what part of the address theatre indicates we should have a TV set.

daffy

I would advise  anyone bothered in this manner by the Licence checkers to complete a declaration that you don't need a licence. The TV Licensing website gives this page for doing just that:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

It might stop the plonkers! :D

Just a warning: note that you don't need to have a TV nowadays to be required to have a TV Licence. Note the wording near the top of the page linked above:
QuoteYou don't need a TV Licence if you:
never watch or record programmes on any channel as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and
never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.
This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

So if you don't have a TV but use another device to watch BBC programs, the nice folks from the Licensing Police could be knocking on your door! :o

PS - for full clarity, here's the wording from the Licensing website that gives the exact detail of when you do have to have a licence:

Quote[You need to be covered by a TV Licence to
watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.
This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder./quote]
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Malc

When I worked for the Beeb, I used to get letters demanding payment for a TV license. Each time I responded by saying we didn't require one. After a few years of this I got fed up and called them. The guy I spoke to told me his wife was a great Archers fan and if I could get her some publicity info, he could get us off the mailing list. A quick call into the Archers office and a large envelope in the post and we were off the list. Please note, I don't think this works for anyone else.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Strewth! I think I'd rather pay a licence fee, Malc

Ian Bowden

What gets me riled about the declaration is they have us down 3 times in their records and despite several assurances that it has been corrected we inevitably get 3 separate threatening letters.

silly moo

Being driven bonkers by passwords. :veryangry: In this electronic age you seem to need a password for almost everything including this forum and remembering them is a real test, unless they are all the same which is inadvisable. I store mine in an app on my iPad but if that were to get stolen I'd be in trouble so I need to back them up on a piece of paper which isn't safe either but trying to remember them all is the worst and I'm not even senile yet  ???

zwilnik

Quote from: silly moo on May 24, 2018, 01:57:27 PM
Being driven bonkers by passwords. :veryangry: In this electronic age you seem to need a password for almost everything including this forum and remembering them is a real test, unless they are all the same which is inadvisable. I store mine in an app on my iPad but if that were to get stolen I'd be in trouble so I need to back them up on a piece of paper which isn't safe either but trying to remember them all is the worst and I'm not even senile yet  ???

if you're using an iPad, switch on iCloud Keychain storage. Then all your passwords are stored securely on iCloud, which means you can use it to auto-fill most web ones and access them in an emergency (from any of your devices ). If you've switched 2 factor authentication on then nobody is going to get access to them if the device is stolen (especially if you've got Find my iPad on, because you can remote lock it)

zwilnik

Besides that, you live in South Africa at the moment don't you? Don't you have flamethrowers fitted to your iPad for security like they do on the cars there? :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations