locomotive lubrication

Started by Murdock92, May 23, 2018, 06:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murdock92

So I've finally made my first step into n gauge and started off with a trainset , loving it all so far but its saying on one of the guides about lubrication of the locomotive, what do you guys use, any recommended brands, and how often should you go about the lubrication?

many thanks guys

Murdock

austinbob

I use Dapol oil but there are many other suitable oils. If you do a forum search this topic often comes up. Graham Farish recommend oiling after 24 hours running. Dapol often recommend oiling from first use. Use a tiny amount of oil applying with something like a drop on a small needle. Too much oil and it will get everywhere, including the track and into axle pickups. Not good.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

ntpntpntp

Whatever you do, DON'T over-lubricate it causes more grief than under-oiling to be honest. 

I'm using white PTFE grease on gearing these days rather than oil, but very very sparingly - just the tiniest amount on the end of a pin.

I use Peco Powerlube where moving conductive surfaces are involved, eg. axles passing power to a metal chassis. Again only the tiniest drop on the tip of a pin.

For other uses such as steam loco valve gear pins etc. I still use old bottles of Fleischmann or Faller oil that I've had since the 80s. They have very fine applicator pins or tubes.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

austinbob

Quote from: ntpntpntp on May 23, 2018, 07:42:38 PM
Whatever you do, DON'T over-lubricate it causes more grief than under-oiling to be honest. 

I'm using white PTFE grease on gearing these days rather than oil, but very very sparingly - just the tiniest amount on the end of a pin.

I use Peco Powerlube where moving conductive surfaces are involved, eg. axles passing power to a metal chassis. Again only the tiniest drop on the tip of a pin.

For other uses such as steam loco valve gear pins etc. I still use old bottles of Fleischmann or Faller oil that I've had since the 80s. They have very fine applicator pins or tubes.

I've just bought some Powerlube ntpntp....... Does it work on axle pickups which are already slightly iffy or do you have to clean the axles and boxes first.
Some locos with axle pickups are a nightmare to get at for cleaning.  :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

ntpntpntp

Quote from: austinbob on May 23, 2018, 08:01:58 PM
I've just bought some Powerlube ntpntp....... Does it work on axle pickups which are already slightly iffy or do you have to clean the axles and boxes first.

Well, always clean first if you can. No point in adding oil to existing dirt, you just get gunk!   Are you talking about stub axles with pickups on the pinpoints?  I'd drop the axles out and clean the boxes. 

I find Powerlube more useful where you've got a bit more bearing surface to contend with that's carrying power - eg. the old Peco Jubilee and old Minitrix diesels.  It worked a treat on a UM B12 I acquired cheap last year.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

I've been using the Gaugemaster precision oiler (GM619) for a few years now as I like it's needle tip.
Basically, if you can see the oil, you've used too much!

Murdock92

thankyou for your help and input guys!

Bramshot

Dapol's current instructions, which are the only detailed ones I have seen from a manufacturer suggest the following application method;

Put a drop of oil on a clean surface. Get a very small artists brush, the tiniest you can find, and dip it into the oil puddle. Apply oil to the surface you are lubricating. Clean oil off brush (with a tissue or similar) and reapply the brush to the surface to 'wick' off some of the oil you just applied.

It seems to work and the brush lets you get into awkward spaces.

I use Woodland Scenics hobby lube HL654 Lite oil for the most part, but purchased their kit containing a variety of oils and greases, hobby park HL650.

elmo

In nearly 40 years I have only ever used MaGeR oil or electro/power lube. Never had any issues with either of them.
The thing with oiling gears is that the Oil only needs to be one molecule thick to do its job. if you can see the oil you have used too much. A lightly oiled surface will show a shiny/rainbow reflection when held up to the light.
I generally dip a pin into the oil then place the smallest drop on a cog then run the loco to spread it around.
Steam valve gear gets the same treatment.
I use MaGeR on plastic cogs and valvegear.
I use power lube on the older bigger brass cogs, motor bearings and any axle bearings that carry current.
I find the best approach to any oiling smaller more frequent oiling is better than one large hit.

Elmo

Hailstone

I have used Daywat as recommended by BR lines for 14 years now and had no problems at all. I use a precision oiler or recently a small medical syringe which is handy for oiling the worm without removing the body on some locos.

Regards,

Alex

Railwaygun

Quote from: Hailstone on May 25, 2018, 12:41:35 AM
I have used Daywat as recommended by BR lines for 14 years now and had no problems at all. I use a precision oiler or recently a small medical syringe which is handy for oiling the worm without removing the body on some locos.

Regards,

Alex
be sure to remove the worm and the lemon from the bottle first
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34