Help needed in getting back on line

Started by REGP, August 25, 2015, 08:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGP

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 25, 2015, 09:17:04 PM

Follow your current procedure to get a working connection, and then go here : http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable.  This is a zero-footprint copy of FF.  Extract it somewhere you can quickly find it & give it a test to a website to make sure it works; maybe save to a USB pendrive.

Mike

Saved to a USB drive removed it from laptop, rebooted re inserted USB drive and guesse what " the connection was reset" so regrettably no further forward.

Ray

MalcolmInN

Quote from: REGP on August 25, 2015, 11:40:29 PM
Quote from: MikeDunn on August 25, 2015, 09:17:04 PM

Follow your current procedure to get a working connection, and then go here : http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable.  This is a zero-footprint copy of FF.  Extract it somewhere you can quickly find it & give it a test to a website to make sure it works; maybe save to a USB pendrive.

Mike

Saved to a USB drive removed it from laptop, rebooted re inserted USB drive and guesse what " the connection was reset" so regrettably no further forward.

Ray
did you set it to "No proxy" ?
edit
I'll rephrase that,
Have you also tried setting it to "No proxy"

REGP

No like a dummy I didn't.  So I'll try again and let you know tomorrow what happened.

Thanks again

Ray

MalcolmInN

Ok,
we live in hope cos my PaleMoon portable did preserve.

by the way, above you said
>"Malcolm & Mike
Thanks for the info I altered the proxy settings in both Firefox and IE as suggested, "

but didnt say if it/they connected

>"restarted laptop and still getting the connection reset message."

which is where we needed the portable bit to eliminate mystery windows preservations of incorrect settings !

Good luck for tomorrow :)
all computer problems are simple - in the end,
it's the getting there that is baffling ;)

Malc

Back in the days of XP, I picked up a bug from a corporate network I was on that kept point me to a proxy server. There was a hack to the registry that I had to do to put it back to normal. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I had to set a Dword value to zero, reboot then delete the key. Probably under current version/windows/ie ?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

REGP

Unable to resume working on this problem today, will try again on Thursday, thanks for your help so far guys.
Ray

Malc

REGP

Quote from: Malc on August 27, 2015, 08:20:31 AM
I think this is what I had to do, Ray.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2289942

Thanks for the suggestion Malc, I thought it would be a simply process but Oh No.
I'm running Vista so instructions are click on windows symbol then click run.

When ever I click the symbol all I get is the start Menu at the bottom of that there is a search box, type run in that and all I get is Google desk top.

I'm clearly missing something very fundamental here any suggestions?

Ray

Malc

REGP

Thanks Malc
That gets me into Registry Editor, but there's no search box, just a massive list of item mostly beginning (4D..

Ray

Malc

MalcolmInN

Ummm, you have made a backup of your Reg and know how to restore it if it all goes horribly wrong ?
Messing with the Reg can lead to unintended consequences :(

REGP

Fantastic, managed to get rid of the unwanted proxy settings.

Not quite sure how, I was struggling with your instructions Malc and left the laptop running a disk cleanup programme whilst I had a cuppa.

Afterwards I could get straight onto the Internet with no problems, checked the settings on IE & FF and both stated no proxy.

Thanks you both for help.

Ray

REGP

Quote from: MalcolmAL on August 27, 2015, 11:44:22 PM
Ummm, you have made a backup of your Reg and know how to restore it if it all goes horribly wrong ?
Messing with the Reg can lead to unintended consequences :(

Malcolm I never got that far, but didn't know about backup so thanks for the warning.

Ray

MalcolmInN

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations