NGS Annual Model Making Competition

Started by Michael Shillabeer, April 22, 2014, 07:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Shillabeer

Hello

I will be running the Annual Model Making Competition at this year’s AGM on 7th June at The Paragon Hall at Westbury Labour Club & Institute, Haynes Road, Westbury, Wilts  BA13 3HA

I’ve set the deadline for entry registration as midnight on Saturday 24th May 2014

Entries after this time or on the day will not be accepted.

There are classes (http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=ammc-classes) for models ranging from locomotives to single wagons, buildings and complete layouts. Once you've read the rules (http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=ammc-rules), you can find out how to register a model at http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=entry-information.

Help Wanted
As well as running the competition I will also be photographing the models.

I would like someone to help me on the day because taking the photographs is a major task. Someone to pass the models from the display to my portable studio would be a great help!

Thanks
Michael

EtchedPixels

Can someone remind me which categories Gareth can't win this year :-)

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully lots of folks will have a go. Its a great way to force yourself to finish a project.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Michael Shillabeer

thebrighton

Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 22, 2014, 07:19:54 PM
Can someone remind me which categories Gareth can't win this year :-)

Due to the lateness of this years AGM it clashes with Scout camp (I'm a leader). Scouting comes before modelling so no entries from me this year. I know I could post some but being a postie I think I'll give it a miss   :worried:
Still, there's always next year  :thumbsup:
Gareth

Karhedron

Quote from: thebrighton on April 22, 2014, 08:24:35 PM
Scouting comes before modelling so no entries from me this year.
Woohoo, a chance for us mere mortals!  :laughabovepost:

I might try my hand at a couple of categories this year.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Tank

Quote from: thebrighton on April 22, 2014, 08:24:35 PM
I know I could post some but being a postie I think I'll give it a miss   :worried:

The same reason I don't enter mine.  Not worth the risk in my opinion.  Each to their own though, as I do enjoy seeing other people's efforts.  :)

Hailstone

I wish I could enter something this year - with Gareth away I might stand a chance, but this year's AGM clashes with a traction engine rally that I am attending, so maybe next year if it goes back to May

Regards,

Alex

Sipat

Im tempted to enter a certain small layout I am building...

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Only Me on April 23, 2014, 09:39:58 AM
Just been reading the rules, so as I made the Gloucester Parcels Class 128 from nothing ie created the CAD file I can, If I've read it right enter my model into the DMU section as a scratch build as the original is "My Model and hard work" and any one who bought the shell would be entering an RTR shell but with their own paint work ?

You also need permission - see rules 6a/6b re: "professional model maker" - although when I asked in the past I was told it was fine for me to enter models I'd built from other people's kits but not my own - which seems perfectly fair to me.

Now I really must get off my backside and finish painting the brake rodding on my Highfield Long-boiler!

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

thebrighton

Quote from: Only Me on April 23, 2014, 09:39:58 AM
Just been reading the rules, so as I made the Gloucester Parcels Class 128 from nothing ie created the CAD file I can, If I've read it right enter my model into the DMU section as a scratch build as the original is "My Model and hard work" and any one who bought the shell would be entering an RTR shell but with their own paint work ?

I guess this is the bit of the rules that will apply to your situation:

6b.    Members entering models made using commercial 3d printing, resin casting, etching or laser cutting service providers (e.g. Shapeways, PEC, York Model Making, 4D Model Shop etc), should make it clear in the model description if the model has been produced from the member's own CAD drawings or purchased from another modeller's work. Members who make their models available to other modellers via these service providers are allowed, at the discretion of the Competition Co-ordinator and the Judges, to enter such models as long as they are sold as a scratch building aid rather than a kit.

Gareth

surfaceman

Alex

Hi,

I always posted my entries to the NGS comp as I live too far away to attend. Never had any problems with them getting there or returning back.

Didn't renew my subscription this year so no entries from me.

Alex

Steven B

Models including wagons, locos, signals and buildigns have been posted for the AMMC from all over the UK, Spain and even New Zealand. Distance is no excuse!

None have been lost but a very small number have suffered minor damage - mostly fine detailing parts falling off e.g. lamps, gutters etc; Certainly nothing can't be fixed with a bit of glue and five minutes of time.

Models are posted from model shops all the time without incident so why should AMMC be any different?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

(ex AMMC Co-ordinator).

Karhedron

I have also posted and received my entries with no trouble in the past. To be fair, I would advise insured post. Steven was always very careful with my entries and I am sure Michael will be equally concientious but I like the peace of mind in case the post office get careless with my pride and joy.  :-\
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Michael Shillabeer

Hello

Yes, I will be extremely careful with any models posted to me.

Please PM me if you intend to do this because I don't have access to the NGS competition email address yet. I'm collecting all the competition info at the Bristol show next week.

Best regards
Michael

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations