BR era coach rake

Started by Jaguar68, February 10, 2018, 07:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaguar68

Hi chaps,

What would be the best combination of coaches for a short two or three coach setup?

Cheers

John

NeMo

Quote from: Jaguar68 on February 10, 2018, 07:39:30 PM
What would be the best combination of coaches for a short two or three coach setup?

At least one brake vehicle (not necessarily a full brake though) and at least some 1st class seating. The rest varied enormously. Some idea of your favoured Region and Era will help, I think.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Newportnobby

I think we also need to know whether you want a 'suburban' set or 'mainline' stuff.
For suburban you could have a a couple of composites and a brake end or 2 brake ends sandwiching a composite (depends on how much parcels/cycles you want to transport)
For mainline I'd probably go with a second open (SO), first corridor (FK) and a brake end (BSK) but, beware, I'm no expert :no:

Jaguar68

Sorry, should have mentioned the era modelled. I'm modelling the period between nationalisation and privatisation, but more the late 'i80 tonthe mid '90's, NSE, but with a flavour of preserved railways, so I'm covering a lot of bases.

It will mainly be suburban trains, but with a little preservation too  :)
John

Jaguar68

My tryping is getting worse!!!

NeMo

Quote from: Jaguar68 on February 10, 2018, 07:57:07 PM
...more the late '80 tonthe mid '90's, NSE, but with a flavour of preserved railways, so I'm covering a lot of bases... It will mainly be suburban trains, but with a little preservation too

Not many loco-hauled 2-3 coach trains operating in southern England during that era, unfortunately. Circa 1985 for example, you'd really see loco-hauled trains on inter-regional services (e.g., between Cardiff and Portsmouth) as well as more remote parts of Wales and Scotland (Class 37s being particularly important on this sort of thing).

One option would be a loco hauling a dead DMU or EMU. There are some kits out there for making non-powered models of such out of Farish Mk1 coaches. Electra Graphics for example have some nice vinyls for this, which can be used on the old (pre-Blue Riband) Mk1s you can pick up cheaply at model train shows.

Cheers, NeMo

njee20

As above, NSE was dominated by EMUs for suburban stuff, and the loco hauled trains were a lot longer than 3 coaches.

As such I'd not really worry too much about realism, something like mk2 BSO, TSO, TFO would be reasonable, with a 47 for haulage. All available from Farish.

There were more short services further up north, something like a Regional Railways 37 with some mk2s would have been a more common combination for a short-formed rake.

MJKERR

Quote from: Jaguar68 on February 10, 2018, 07:57:07 PM
I'm modelling the period between nationalisation and privatisation, but more the late 'i80 tonthe mid '90's, NSE, but with a flavour of preserved railways, so I'm covering a lot of bases
Known as the Sectorisation period

A rake of less than four coaches would be restricted to 60mph, unless special permission had been received
As a result they were very rare

Aberdeen - Montrose : Mark 2A TSO-BSO
Glasgow Central / Edinburgh - Manchester : Mark 2C TSO-BFK-TSO (Glasgow portion)

There were hardly no NSE rakes of less than five coaches
However, later in sectorisation replacement loco haulage became quite common, but again the minimum was normally five coaches
Equally, later rakes went for a preference of Open coaches rather than Corridor although sometimes it was unavoidable
For Mark 1 consider the TSO CK BCK
For Mark 2A consider the TSO BSO
Therefore you could easily end up with a mix of Mark 1 and Mark 2A to give you : CK-BSO-TSO

The next issue is a suitable loco in the NSE area
You are therefore probably looking at a Class 33 or Class 47
A Class 37 would be very unlikely, but not impossible

Jaguar68

Thanks for your replies chaps. I have a spare Class 33 body in NSE, so the loco is not a problem. The issue is that my layout is only 4'6" by 3', using 315mm Kato unitrack curves which limits the maximum length of the trains I can run. The other alternative may be to run DMUs or EMUs in a rural type scenario.

Regards

John

Newportnobby

Some folks use a 'rule' a train should occupy no more than 1/3rd the length of the scenic section. I would say loco +3 or a 4 car DMU/EMU sounds about right for you.

Steven B

Two car/carraige trains in that period would have been provided DMU or EMU. By the time of your modelling most of the bugs in the 2nd generation DMU & EMUs had been ironed out and so loco-hauled replacements were few and far between.

Most Mk1&2 based trains I've been able to find info on at the begining of your period are at least 7 coaches long.

However, looking at some of the early morning workings there are some short trains, albeit unlikely to be 100% NSE:

00:05 St. Pancras to Derby - CK BCK BG BG (all Mk1)
00:19 Derby to St. Pancras BG SK SK SK BSK (all Mk1)
03:50 Euston to Bletchley BSK BG BG (all Mk1)

If you want to model a secondary express train in just three coaches then try a BSK+CK+SK.

NSE often ran with a higher proportion of first class accomodation but don't get carried away. One of the shorter rakes outlined above would look more realistic than say a BSK FK SK.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

PostModN66

Quote from: MJKERR on February 10, 2018, 08:29:08 PM
A rake of less than four coaches would be restricted to 60mph, unless special permission had been received

......interesting.....Why so?

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Luke Piewalker

Assuming it's the same as for HST, brakes.

NeMo

Quote from: Jaguar68 on February 11, 2018, 06:47:09 PM
Thanks for your replies chaps. I have a spare Class 33 body in NSE, so the loco is not a problem.

Indeed not. Opens up some options!

What about building a 4-TC set? I say building, but with Electra Graphics, what we're really talking about is stripping some old Farish bodies and then carefully applying some vinyls! Very straightforward, and for pocket-money prices, you can end up with something that's more than acceptable. A little bit of weathering is useful to take the shine off the vinyl, and if you look at the current NGS Journal, you can see my article on distressing Mk1 coach roofs using nothing more than salt, water, an airbrush, and a few paints.

http://electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk/tf491.htm

http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/class438_1.html

The thing with the 4-TC set is that it was designed to be hauled or pushed by a Class 33. Mostly working the Bournemouth route, but it's your layout, so if you want to invent another working, then that's 100% fine. It's also a definite option for the NSE era.

Cheers, NeMo

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations