World Cup 2018

Started by Bealman, June 16, 2018, 07:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weave

Dare ga omatta no? Think that's who'd of thought in Japanese.

Also Senegal, who'd of thought, google translate doesn't do Senegalese  :D.

What a wonderful and weird World Cup it is.

Great stuff.

Cheers weave  :beers:

acko22

Well it has been in the first few games, the question is when will normal more predictable service resume?

if normal service is like northern or gova and not in sight then I actually think we stand a chance of doing OK (semis would be the realistic max), but looking at the first games its between Portugal, Spain and Belgium. As anything though time will tell I mean look at Greece in 2004 and that had the bookies payout out some wedge!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Bealman

Aussies put in another respectable performance last night against Denmark, one all draw. Although there were no goals in the second half, Australia were the better team, I feel.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

weave

Hi Bealman,

Didn't get to see it as was 1pm here and had to work  :(. Would have been good to watch it in the local with our Aussie bar staff. Good bunch of guys and gals.

They've got a chance though. The next game is Tuesday at 3pm here so as I'm self employed I have allowed all of my staff (ie. me) permission to finish early that day. Beat Peru, France beat Denmark, few amber nectars in the sun, should be good. One of many mini 'works dos' planned in the next few weeks  :) (hopefully  :worried:).

weave

If you're bored, thought this was interesting if France beat Denmark 2 - 1 and Australia beat Peru 1 - 0.

It explains how they decide further down the article......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-22/world-cup-how-does-australia-qualify-for-round-of-16/9896578

Bealman

Your plan for Tuesday sounds good to me, buddy!  :beers:

weave

Hi again,

Am always rubbish at the time difference thing but think it would be a midnight kick off for you over there so was just wondering if pubs in Australia can be open then and if so are you going?

Bealman

They will be, but I won't be in 'em! I'll be watching at Chez Bealman. :beers:

port perran

It's an interesting group so we will await with interest.
And well done ro Croatia last evening. Argentina were woeful.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

Just watched second half replay. Agree.  :thumbsup:

acko22

Quote from: weave on June 22, 2018, 06:54:18 AM
If you're bored, thought this was interesting if France beat Denmark 2 - 1 and Australia beat Peru 1 - 0.

It explains how they decide further down the article......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-22/world-cup-how-does-australia-qualify-for-round-of-16/9896578

I just love that if they can't be split by the system they have in place points, goals, fair play etc, they they draw lots of as the article puts it draws straws. So FIFA the worlds governing body (apparently) could knock a team out through what you can only describe as playground methods!

I won't lie I want the socceroos to go through but at the same time my sometimes harsh humour would have me crying if they were knocked out by that method sorry @Bealman but as it says there is a lot of things that come first, just got to hammer Peru and hope France don't sit back knowing they are already through!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Bealman

Thank you. :thumbsup: :beers:

But to be honest, I don't lose sleep over the politics of the World Cup.

I watch the games for the enjoyment they give me.

port perran

I think the drawing of lots (straws) has been in place for many years.
Maybe they should do what we used to do at school many years ago. If a cup game was drawn, the team having won most corners won. Simple.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

MinZaPint

Listening to the radio this morning and they played "Don't cry for me, Argentina"! how have the mighty fallen  :'(
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

acko22

Quote from: MinZaPint on June 22, 2018, 01:09:32 PM
Listening to the radio this morning and they played "Don't cry for me, Argentina"! how have the mighty fallen  :'(

Well can't discount them just yet they could still scrape through they just need the hand of god, oh wait he's retired!  ;)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations