DJ Models Clayton

Started by johnsom, July 30, 2014, 06:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsom

Hello All - Rails have flagged up pre-order for DJ Models Clayton - looks very interesting - Keith

Les1952

Nice type 1 dissel, centre-cab.  Mostly used in the "real" North East and in Central Scotland.  Not all that successful in service (like a lot of the early diseasels), and as the need for low powered locos evaporated they were got rid of rather than make something decent of them.

Just right for my Hawthorn Dene layout, so I'll have a pair.  However I'm supporting my local model shop so Neil at Sherwood Models has had the nod for the first one- I'll add in the second when I order my Q6s from him.

All the very best
Les

red_death

Used in the NW as well often in pairs....presumably for when one failed!

Cheers, Mike

Bealman

Wots the 'real' NE then  ;D

Sorry... self moderation....  :offtopicsign:  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NeMo

Quote from: Les1952 on August 01, 2014, 05:59:12 AM
Nice type 1 dissel, centre-cab.  Mostly used in the "real" North East and in Central Scotland.
Don't forget at least one was used not far from me, here in Hertfordshire. I speak of the Hemelite brick factory just outside Hemel Hempstead. The idea was that D8568 would be much stronger than their usual shunters, reducing the number of trips needed between the exchange sidings a few miles south and the factory itself.*

By all accounts it was not entirely successful, but given it then went on to be used at Ribble Cement in Lancashire, there are two excuses right there to use a Class 17 on an industrial railway or exchange sidings part of a layout anywhere you wanted.

Cheers, NeMo

*PS the route it was working was the more or less abandoned 'Nickey Line' between Hemel and Harpenden, not an industrial railway as such. So adding a defunct branchline to a layout for your privately owned Class 17 is a definite option!
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

koyli55002

And went from Ribble Cement to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, where it ran for several years still carrying Ribble Cement livery ( I believe it was a condition of its going to preservation, but someone may be able to confirm / deny that ?)

kirky

Quote from: Bealman on August 01, 2014, 10:58:46 AM
Wots the 'real' NE then  ;D

Sorry... self moderation....  :offtopicsign:  :thumbsup:
I was wondering that too  :confused2:

Cheers
kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Bob Tidbury

The class17 is preserved on the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway

mr bachmann

early in the manufacture Hawthorn Leslie (Met Vic) Stocton won/lost the contract in a very short time and the unfinished bits got sent off to Beyer Peacock to complete the order , rummer has it that Clayton (electric's) inherited some idea's from Bullied , after all he was his right hand man !

javlinfaw7

I would call Aberdeen North East but Newcastle South East

ScottyStitch

Quote from: Arrachogaidh on February 05, 2015, 05:53:53 PM

I found an image of D8612 at Perth  D8612
Perth
18 July 1966. Question is which route would it have taken to or from Perth

NOTE:  Image removed due to an advised copyright infringement - Caz

Almost certainly over the Glenfarg route or the lady bank route from Thornton.

ScottyStitch

Quote from: ScottyStitch on February 05, 2015, 05:55:48 PM
Quote from: Arrachogaidh on February 05, 2015, 05:53:53 PM

I found an image of D8612 at Perth  D8612
Perth
18 July 1966. Question is which route would it have taken to or from Perth

NOTE:  Image removed due to an advised copyright infringement - Caz

Almost certainly over the Glenfarg route or the lady bank route from Thornton.

I think the 17s may also have been reasonably common for freight between Millerhill and Perth, most likely in pairs. My Grandfather drove these (as well as 26/27s, and prior to that Black 5s), but unfortunately he didn't record all that much of his BR career.

ScottyStitch

If I ever find any evidence in Gleneagles' favour, I'll be sure to pass it on!

Newportnobby

:bump:

Spent a bit of time with Dave Jones this lunchtime and he is hoping to have painted samples for the Perth Show 24/25th June
You lucky people!

Les1952

Today- 9th May.

Dave has put some photos of the tooling bases on RMWeb.

Something is happening out in China......

Les

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations