Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Prague

Many congratulations to your granddaughter, Caz. A great achievement.

"a 78% pass and got a First Class degree with Honours". Interesting, in the U.S. grading system, 78% is only a C: "Fair performance. The student has acquired an acceptable understanding of the material and essential subject matter of the course, but has not succeeded in translating this understanding into consistently creative or original work." To gain an A requires 95-100%. Is that why everyone is complaining about grade inflation in U.K. universities?

Getting into Cambridge (or Oxford) certainly requires much more than 78% so she has clearly won her place against very considerable competition.

Bealman

Awesome.

Great result, Caz.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Delboy

Congratulations to your granddaughter.
You must be so proud of her Caz.
Great news.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Lindi on July 06, 2018, 10:36:56 AM
Quote from: Chris in Prague on July 06, 2018, 10:20:14 AM
"a 78% pass and got a First Class degree with Honours". Interesting, in the U.S. grading system, 78% is only a C: "Fair performance. The student has acquired an acceptable understanding of the material and essential subject matter of the course, but has not succeeded in translating this understanding into consistently creative or original work." To gain an A requires 95-100%. Is that why everyone is complaining about grade inflation in U.K. universities?

The percentages are worked out differently in America so are not comparable.

In America they use an average of all marks only weighted by credit value. In the UK universities use a system called 'exit velocity'. The first year marks are given a low weighting (or zero in some cases) and the final year are given a high weighting.

That's very different from when I was an undergrad. in the U.K., back in the 1970s.

Caz

She's thinking of turning the Cambridge offer down as York have a more in depth curriculum for her chosen interest of Genetic Anthropology, you can't beat an 'ology' can you.   :)

Thanks all for you kind wishes.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

daveg

Always nice to read a success story.

Wishing her every success wherever she decides to go.

Dave G

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Caz on July 07, 2018, 04:59:36 PM
She's thinking of turning the Cambridge offer down as York have a more in depth curriculum for her chosen interest of Genetic Anthropology, you can't beat an 'ology' can you.   :)

Thanks all for you kind wishes.

Well, York is an excellent university, too, and IMHO York is a more interesting city than Cambridge, even if she has no interest in railways! 8-) Genetic Anthropology sounds fascinating but she'll, probably, have to further develop her studies into a PhD!

Malc

York University is a great place. I did 2 OU summer schools there. Just beware of the duck residue when walking around the lake at night.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

dannyboy

Well my flabber is well and truly gasted  :o. As I have mentioned once or twice before, the internet speed where I live has always been pathetically slow. I once had the telephone engineer up to survey my site for a landline modem - he just laughed at me! So, ever since, I have made do with a mobile dongle, which does just work at home, but works a bit better at work, (one of the reasons I like going to work, the other being the money  :)). However, since last week, the dongle has stopped recording my useage. So, whilst awaiting SWMBO to arrive back on the bus from her jollies in Yorkshire, I called in at a Carphone Warehouse. I explained my problem and the, (lovely), young lady who assisted me talked me into swapping my current dongle and contract, (which gives me 50GB of data a month at €29.99), for a another one which gives me unlimited, (well 750GB), for €30 a month. She explained that my old dongle was 3G whereas the new one was 4G, although I may not be able to get 4G where I live. (Getting a bit long winded this tale - sorry). The upshot of it all is that I now have what I consider to be an excellent speed - maybe 3 or 4 times faster - than I had. Can't wait to see what the speed is like when I go back to work next week. One happy bunny.  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Glad to hear you're pleased with your new, improved dongle :D

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 14, 2018, 12:26:08 PM

please, this is a family forum  :-[ :D

Newportnobby

Quote from: class37025 on July 14, 2018, 01:24:01 PM

Tut Tut. It never even occurred to me :no: :angel:

daveg

Where we are, both BB and mobile signals are  :censored: and sometimes non-existant.   :computerangry:

I wonder sometimes if things would go quicker using an Aldis lamp or perhaps semaphore flags!

Recent info shows that there are no plans to 'improve' the service in the next 3 years.  :'(

Two miles down the road they have fibre.   :(

Apart from that, we love the place *!

Dave G

PS: *Wanted to add  the  :heart2: smiley but thought that might be overdoing it, a bit!

dannyboy

Quote from: class37025 on July 14, 2018, 01:24:01 PM

At least I was not doing my impersonation of Chuck Berry - he sang about his dongle, but called it a ding-a-ling.  ;D
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

no.2 daughter just produced her third son, [no.5 grandson] at 18.36, 6lbs 9 oz. :thumbsup:

a weight off her mind, so to speak  :-[

just thought, the other two can be a right pain, now there will be three of the little ***** >:(

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations