Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acook

Because it was dreamed up by a man who kept getting caught looking.
Ready made excuse for looking now.

Frequently caught Alan

Caz

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 06, 2018, 10:26:49 AM
If the caller display shows 'International' I just ignore it. If it's a member of the Royal Family in trouble I'm sure they'll leave a message :laugh:

No point me or George calling you then if we have a forum problem.   ::)   :P
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

daffy

Tomorrow I shall be attending a Teddy Parachute Drop at my Grandchildrens local church. Apparently, and it distresses me greatly ;), the eldest of the three, who is 5 years old, seems to have no idea what a 'Teddy' actually is!
Her plan was for her entry into the competition to be a fluffy tiger, or some such. When her Nanny said it should be a Teddy, she was totally non-plushed and couldn't see the problem.

So tomorrow, as the clock on the church tower launch pad strikes the half hour after 1:00pm, rather than a glorious array of wonderful teddy bears descending from the above, it is highly likely that my eyes will be assailed by a loud, brash and dare I say gaudy collection of objects floating down, ranging from Unicorns, through Smurfs and large-eyed Princesses (without an ounce of stuffing between them), to every Disney character you care to name - and even Pooh is most definitely NOT a teddy bear!

I mean, what IS the World coming to? :confused2:

Roosevelt will probably turn in his grave! :o

But the kids will love it! :D - the parachuting toys, not the grave-turning bit! :no:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

I trust you'll be going dressed as a Teddy Boy? :D

Railwaygun

Quote from: daffy on July 14, 2018, 07:24:05 PM
Her plan was for her entry into the competition to be a fluffy tiger, or some such. When her Nanny said it should be a Teddy, she was totally non-plushed and couldn't see the problem.

i thought the teddies were fully plushed??
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Mito

Quote from: Railwaygun on July 15, 2018, 12:18:31 AM
Quote from: daffy on July 14, 2018, 07:24:05 PM

i thought the teddies were fully plushed??
New maybe, but they tend to be de-plushed by little fingers.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

daffy

Just an update on the parachuting Teddies....

A grand time was had by all, and over 50 assorted treasured cuddlies floated down from the parapet of the church tower. Happily the majority were in fact teddy bears, though the odd penguin, unicorn, toothless dragon, and dog braved the descent. Some sailed serenely down, some were swept into trees and bushes, and more than a few merely plummeted as their 'chutes failed to deploy in time. Star performer - I'm biased - was my 5 year old grand-daughters entry. This was eventually agreed to be a teddy (after much cajoling and parental persuasion), in fact one of two fine brown bears that her Nanny had given her from her own special collection some years ago. As the Jump Master flung young teddy out into the void, his parachute filled most opportunely and he floated down to land, to the utter surprise of the man making souvenir badges, directly upon the man's head! Happily no real damage was done to either character, though as a precaution young teddy, in common with all other contestants, was rapidly stretchered off to the nearby Medical Table, where tender care was administered, plasters and bandages were carefully applied, and he was returned to his proud owner.
There were no winners, no losers, and cake and orange juice was available to all for a donation to church funds.
And it was a glorious sunny day!

So a happy ending in the unhappy thread.
:D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bob Tidbury

Very unhappy yesterday ,I went down the shed in the morning opened the windows and put the fans on to try and cool it down.
My mate came in the afternoon to test some locos ,and due to this unusual weather and my laziness I have found major electrical problems with isolation gaps closed up NO IRJs just cut track ,even some switches not working , so I wish I had taken the time to fit the IRJs  it might have made a difference .
One track in the fiddle yard  that wasn't pinned down very well had actually expanded so much that as the train passed it was hitting the train on the next line .
Oh well I suppose in the winter the gaps will be so big that the wheels will drop into them and the train will de rail ,it's all part of having a model railway.
Running evening will have to be cancelled again tonight.
Bob Tidbury

The Q

Cut a hole high up in the eaves of the shed, fit a flap controlled by a green house window opener. It will reduce the problem..

Malc

I don't expect the IRJs would have made a difference, Bob. It must have got really warm in your shed. My railway room is in a well insulated loft and I haven't had any issues. Do you have the walls and roof insulated?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bob Tidbury

Malc , yes the walls are insulated and fitted with plasterboard ,plus two inch thick polystyrene in the roof .
The Q , that might be the answer or an extractor fan ,fittedvas high as I can.
Thanks guys  at the moment it's too hot to do any work on or in the shed but I will try bigger air vents first as they are reasonably cheap and my future son in law can help fit them for me.
Bob Tidbury

trkilliman

I have insulated two garden sheds and half of my block garage that was used to house tropical fish tanks.

I used Celotex/Kingspan that is used in new buildings and extensions. It has roughly twice the insulatory values of Polystyrene. Polystyrene will also hold a lot of moisture if you do not leave air gaps when fitting it. In a fire the toxic fumes it gives off will get you in a confined space.

In my block garage it was a pleasure to go into the fishroom in the weather we are having...the insulation works both ways. My wooden sheds are both now used for model railway purposes, but do not stay quite as cool as the garage.

The Q

Celotex isn't that great in a fire for fumes either, as it's what the insulation was in Grenfell tower. However It's perfect for a shed. If the fire has reached through the shed walls to the celotex:
A, you won't save the Shed,
B, It's time to stand well back and wait for the fire brigade..

Remember to double glaze the windows, It makes a big difference. I just screwed on acrylic plastic over the windows, with a couple of small holes at the bottom to let out any condensation..

If you really want to go over the top then fit one of these (scaled to the shed) with a air control flap inside. it's what I did, it's very effective... this isn't mine though.

Jon898

Quote from: The Q on July 26, 2018, 08:15:03 AM
Celotex isn't that great in a fire for fumes either, as it's what the insulation was in Grenfell tower. However It's perfect for a shed. If the fire has reached through the shed walls to the celotex:
A, you won't save the Shed,
B, It's time to stand well back and wait for the fire brigade..

Remember to double glaze the windows, It makes a big difference. I just screwed on acrylic plastic over the windows, with a couple of small holes at the bottom to let out any condensation..

If you really want to go over the top then fit one of these (scaled to the shed) with a air control flap inside. it's what I did, it's very effective... this isn't mine though.

Or go really over the top from here:  http://www.weathervanes-direct.co.uk/train-weather-vanes.asp

The Q

oooH, How can I get one of those without SWMBO finding out the price?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations