Computer virtual Railway software ?

Started by simontk, December 19, 2015, 05:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simontk

Can anyone please advise me on what, good, computer virtusl Railway software there is available ?
I want something which I can add scenery and buildings to. Which I can view, and save to file, 3d images of.
If possible could it also run various locos round it once completed ?

Obviously it has got to be "N" scale. Preferably with a selection of different train, track, scenery, buildings and accessories.

PLEASE ! 

Graham Walters

I don't think there are any virtual "build your own" model railway RPG's out there, the nearest you would get is probably some thing Transport Tycoon, or A Train  ( you will need an Amiga emulator for that one).

The only one that permits you to "drive" a train is "train simulator"
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

simontk

That is what I thought. The likes of Hornby haven't got it yet ! "N" gauge IS the way forward. I have bought there VR2, even though they don't do "N" gauge.
I am designing a layout using "Any Rail". But do you know how I can get 3D images ?

Bealman

I can't quite understand how, in a virtual simulation of running a train, scale makes any difference.

I do understand that if you are drawing up layout plans, then yes, the scale has to be specified.

There are quite a few train driver simulations out there.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

simontk

Of course you ARE quite correct.
I was just wondering if I might be able to design my, "N" gauge,  model railway, and see how it looks.

I see you are from New Zeeland. You are very fortunate !
I have always wanted to visit. 

austinbob

Quote from: simontk on December 19, 2015, 05:58:20 AM
Can anyone please advise me on what, good, computer virtusl Railway software there is available ?
I want something which I can add scenery and buildings to. Which I can view, and save to file, 3d images of.
If possible could it also run various locos round it once completed ?

Obviously it has got to be "N" scale. Preferably with a selection of different train, track, scenery, buildings and accessories.

PLEASE !
3rd PlanIt is the only one I know of. I used this software many years ago and found it very good. The latest version is http://www.eldoradosoft.com/3pi.htm and it supports train running http://www.eldoradosoft.com/train_running.htm.
Its not cheap though and takes I while to learn all the features.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

simontk

Wow ............ O  M  G  lol
I have just downloaded the free trial.
It certainly IS a comprehensive piece of software. I haven't seen the price yet ????
But it does look superb !

cjdodd

SCARM will soon have the ability to have locos on the tracks. See the demo videos on youtube.

Bealman

Quote from: simontk on December 19, 2015, 09:44:24 AM
Of course you ARE correct.
I was just wondering if I might be able to design my, "N" gauge,  model railway, and see how it looks.

I see you are from New Zeeland. You are very fortunate !
I have always wanted to visit.
New Zealand is indeed a beautiful place, and I go there often, unfortunately I have to take a flight across the ditch from Australia  ;D ;) :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

simontk

unfortunately I have to take a flight across the ditch from Australia

but it IS a lot easier, AND CHEAPER ! lol, than from here in the UK.  :laugh:

bluedepot

i think some train simulators allow you to add content, build your own lines...  beyond me though

tim

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations