The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silly moo

I've just managed to get tea into the bottom of my iPhone! :'(  it's half working but thinks the headphones are attached when they aren't. It has now been put switched off and standing up into a container of silica cat litter, to try and dry the moisture out.

This made me think of the discussions we have about detail vs reliability and strength in N gauge locos, sometimes I wish I had a good old fashioned Nokia.

The Q

Quote from: silly moo on July 10, 2017, 11:01:54 AM
I've just managed to get tea into the bottom of my iPhone! :'(  it's half working but thinks the headphones are attached when they aren't. It has now been put switched off and standing up into a container of silica cat litter, to try and dry the moisture out.

This made me think of the discussions we have about detail vs reliability and strength in N gauge locos, sometimes I wish I had a good old fashioned Nokia.

My other hobby is sailing, the phone is waterproof, has a rubber outer casing and has a solar panel on the back. That will tell you what would otherwise happen to portable electronic items... But it only makes phone calls...

themadhippy

QuoteI've just managed to get tea into the bottom of my iPhone!. It has now been put switched off and standing up into a container of silica cat litter, to try and dry the moisture out.
was there sugar in the tea? was the tea strong? before trying to dry out your best given it a soak in plain cold water then into rice or  other drying medium.Look on the bright side though,if it had been champagne or coca cola you  be looking at a new phone as the acids in those drinks eat circuit boards quicker than a fat bloke eat chips
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

silly moo

Even if it does dry out, I think it may have to go to the repair shop for a proper clean up. I shudder to think how much that will cost.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: silly moo on July 10, 2017, 01:00:39 PM
Even if it does dry out, I think it may have to go to the repair shop for a proper clean up. I shudder to think how much that will cost.

my advice is get it checked BEFORE trying to power it up.

Usually it can be remedied by cleaning in distilled water in an ultrasonic tank, but that depends on how much sugar and milk was in the tea.

Newportnobby

Am I too late to recommend things called 'teaspoons' Veronica?

daveg

I won't ask how the (possibly interesting) accident occurred but in my experience, it's best to dunk biscuits rather than mobiles!

Hope you get the thing sorted OK.

Dave G

daffy

My wife dropped her iPhone into the loo  :doh:. Fished out promptly, shaken dry then handed to me whereupon I extracted more fluid by various means, then placed it on a piece of wood inside a container half full of those condensation crystals for two days.

It has worked fine ever since.

Hope the same result comes your way.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Snowwolflair

Quote from: daffy on July 10, 2017, 09:56:16 PM
My wife dropped her iPhone into the loo  :doh:. Fished out promptly, shaken dry then handed to me whereupon I extracted more fluid by various means, then placed it on a piece of wood inside a container half full of those condensation crystals for two days.

Do you have soft water in your area. You would not have much chance of doing this in a hard water area as crystals form as it dries out.

daffy

Quote from: Snowwolflair on July 10, 2017, 10:00:30 PM

Do you have soft water in your area. You would not have much chance of doing this in a hard water area as crystals form as it dries out.

Yes, we are in a hard water area (lots of scale regularly cleaned out of the kettle, and two years ago the hot water tank was replaced and was found to be seriously scaled up) and therefore, judging by what you say, happy to still have a perfectly functioning iPhone.

Maybe my water extraction methods prior to placing it in the container helped: a few swift long arm movements (like a centrifuge in effect), and some judicious suction at various points around the case (best not ask how  :o )

But probably just very lucky.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

joe cassidy

My wife dropped her iPhone into the loo  :doh:.

I'm going to invent a wall-mounted telephone holder for use in toilets.

Rich at last !

Best regards,

Joe

daveg

Neat plan, Joe!

I also had a brilliant idea which with it's elegant looks and 'no drop' features I thought would bring me fortune if not also fame. Then I found out somebody had beaten me to it!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/56/2a/27/562a27b40666fa69deed210150d74103--vintage-phones-antique-phones-vintage-telephone.jpg

Ah well; back to the gin and tonics!

Dave G

Luke Piewalker

I am currently building an O gauge brake can from a Slaters kit...
Instructions are mostly text with a few misleading drawings. Virtually everything I have stuck on I've had to unstick again. I don't think anything has fitted without filing if general hacking.

:veryangry:

joe cassidy

Quote from: daveg on July 14, 2017, 12:40:47 PM
Neat plan, Joe!

I also had a brilliant idea which with it's elegant looks and 'no drop' features I thought would bring me fortune if not also fame. Then I found out somebody had beaten me to it!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/56/2a/27/562a27b40666fa69deed210150d74103--vintage-phones-antique-phones-vintage-telephone.jpg

Great design. The toilet roll holder could be integrated below the phone !

Newportnobby

Had my 6 monthly cardiac check up this morning. Appointment was for 09.20 so I arrived at 09.05 and was taken for weighing/blood pressure at 09.10. Then I was told the doctor doesn't arrive until 09.15 and there are 2 patients before me. What's the point of making appointments before 09.20 if they know he's not going to arrive until 09.15? >:(
When I got to see him at 09.55 he prodded slowly with one finger at a keyboard and mumbled some questions at me. I got the feeling the entire day was just too much for him.
Luckily the blood pressure tablets I'm on seem to be doing the trick or I might have told him some home truths ::)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations