!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any SNCF modellers?  (Read 30978 times)

Offline quinntopia

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Quinntopia - World Domination in N Scale!
    • Awards
Any SNCF modellers?
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:06:40 am »
I'm assuming the 'entente cordial' is still in effect, so this won't be an inappropriate post....(just think of me as your ignorant American guest....probably not too difficult!), but I was wondering if anyone else is a modeler of French/SNCF?  I've generally approached my modeling choices based on 'what I like'....I started with Dutch, but the availability and selection of Dutch trains in N is pretty limited and not very deep.  Of course the Germans, Swiss, etc.. have some neat trains (and plenty of it in N!), but its been the SNCF that I've eventually become more and more interested in.

What do I like? They have interesting looking diesels and electrics with striking color schemes, high speed rail, DMU's...I find it all rather fascinating!  Here's a shot of one of my favorite loc's on my layout...the CC72000

Or the BB67000

Anyone else have the French bug?

Offline poliss

• Awards
Re: Any SNCF modellers?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:33:17 am »
I've been trying to recreate the Simplon Orient Express as you can see in another topic on here. http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=169.0
It's hard keeping to one country when you see so many nice locos and liveries.

Offline quinntopia

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 02:51:14 am »
I agree!  Fortunately (I think) I sort of stay with more of the modern-era stuff, so that keeps most of the more expansive steam options out of my wallet! Some of the Bavarian steamers are pretty tempting though!

Here's another one of my french locos.....

Offline tadpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:34:00 pm »
I have a few SNCF bits and bobs, and my German layout (Pirmasens) is based close the the French border, so they have an excuse to appear occasionally.
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline D306Whistler

• Konnichi Wa
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 04:08:03 pm »
I like the SNCF CC 72000 Diesels as well. This one is 72073 working a Military Train seen here passing the crossing at Sakai.

Minitrix SNCF CC72000 numbered as 72073 by class60008, on Flickr
I am seeking the Fret liveried one and the "En Voyage" version too from Minitrix and they are stunning models as well ;).
Check out my YouTube channel here
My Flickr Transport & Model Railway Gallery!

If you say "pls" because its shorter than "please", I will say "no" because its shorter than "yes" :P.

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:11:05 pm »
Great to see some French stuff.   :)

Offline D306Whistler

• Konnichi Wa
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:31:15 pm »
I wish I could get a TGV Atlantique or a TGV Reseau in N gauge. I have a Kato AVE in the RENFE Operadora livery, but thats Spanish though but its close enough to the second-gen TGV's!

If you say "pls" because its shorter than "please", I will say "no" because its shorter than "yes" :P.

Offline quinntopia

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 07:59:50 am »
I wish I could get a TGV Atlantique or a TGV Reseau in N gauge. I have a Kato AVE in the RENFE Operadora livery, but thats Spanish though but its close enough to the second-gen TGV's!

Do both the Atlantique and the Reseau have the same livery?  I actually like the Renfe paint scheme a lot, and have been tempted by it!

I picked up the older 'orange' TGV from Kato last summer, but still waiting to digitize it.  Unfortunately - even with Kato - their older stuff shows too well on this model...but I think its the best out there (I've heard that the Lima isn't very good)!  The major problem I have with it is the couplings...which aren't 'close couplings' of any sort!  ( I won't complain about the coupling mechanism on my Thalys ever again!).

Offline D306Whistler

• Konnichi Wa
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 01:01:07 pm »
IIRC (If I recall correctly), the TGV Atlantique is a 12 unit train that a fleet of 105 run from Paris Montparnesse to Le Mans, Tours and Bordeaux. The TGV Reseau (also the TGV Thalys PBA is another variant of the Reseau but in the Red/Grey livery) is a Tri-voltage 10 unit train that is used in North France, Brussels, Amsterdam (Thalys), and there is the Paris Milan TGV Reseau as well. But cosmeticly, they are very much the same.

Found some pics on Flickr

TGV Reseau:

TGV Réseau 539 in Strasbourg by Sascha Plane-Train-Spotter, on Flickr

TGV Atlantique:

TGV Atlantique by BB7376, on Flickr

TGV Thalys PBA:

Thalys PBA by Hugo van Vondelen, on Flickr

I hope Kato/Lemke will make these TGV's in N gauge sometime soon as I want one to run on my N-gauge layout ;). I would certainly recommend buying the RENFE AVE set as the one I have is a stunner. If you are confident on fitting the light units, they look cool when running trains in the dark! :).

Offline quinntopia

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 04:03:11 am »
Ahhh yes, light installation!  I've got it done, but I need to add capacitors to stop with all the 'light flashing'!  Here's a video of my Thalys with 'flashing strobe lights' in the cars  :smiley-laughing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXgmNEOYKAo

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 09:01:50 pm »
i like the diesel railcars and their locos with the zig zag grills and liveries and the classic cab fronts

i prefer french railways to german, swiss etc as they are / were a bit more run down, out of date vehicles, weeds on the track etc. etc.. more character i think

i think a france / germany border area is the best option for a layout though, then you can run anything, even a few belgian or luxembourg trains

tim

Offline quinntopia

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 11:37:10 am »
i prefer french railways to german, swiss etc as they are / were a bit more run down, out of date vehicles, weeds on the track etc. etc.. more character i think

i think a france / germany border area is the best option for a layout though, then you can run anything, even a few belgian or luxembourg trains

I agree, I think that's what I like about it...although probably not quite as run down as Renfe or FS (I think I have yet to see a photo of a Renfe locomotive WITHOUT graffiti!   >:( ) but it feels a bit more whimsical than the swiss or germans.

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 07:24:44 pm »
yes that's right

i like the bb 67400 diesels and X 2400 railcars

not really into the new multiple units or tgvs though...

tim

Offline Dodesir

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 05:53:19 pm »

I agree, I think that's what I like about it...although probably not quite as run down as Renfe or FS (I think I have yet to see a photo of a Renfe locomotive WITHOUT graffiti!   >:( ) but it feels a bit more whimsical than the swiss or germans.

I agree, I am a new member in this Forum and I am French
In France we have a "Forum du N" with a dozen British members.
See:
http://le-forum-du-n.forumotions.com/forum
My picture is the "La Poste" TGV
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:30:41 pm by Dodesir »

Offline quinntopia

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 04:29:55 am »
Hello "la Poste" / Dodesir!  I spent quite a bit of time on the le-forum-du-n myself...I'd like to think its helping me to learn French, but Google Translate is too convenient...so I cheat! Unfortunately, this means I'm only a lurker and don't post, but I get to enjoy the conversation a lot! It certainly seems like a very good time for N Scale in France!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything