!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Penzance modular layout project  (Read 46052 times)

Offline haeckmaen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19833
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
Penzance modular layout project
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:32:17 pm »
Hi there,

Iíve been invited to present this layout here by tank and didnít know about this forum before, so this is my first post on here. However, my layout was discovered on another forum right after I had opened the layout thread there, this means at the moment I can not present much more than I did on NRM forum pages. Apologies to those who have already read themselves through the thread there, Iíll try to add N gauge specific extra information here wherever possible.

This is my second N gauge project. The first, Sarnau, is published in the current issue of NGS journal and its development has, last finishing details apart, come to an end now. The main effect of this previous layout was that this time, I wanted to quit the roundy-roundy business and go for a fully DCC controlled end-to-end layout. So which terminus to chose when you want to give a collection of hydraulics a proper home featuring a serious backdrop and you just donít have the space to model Paddington?

Actually, I donít have the space to model Penzance at all. Since I have no dedicated railway room, I needed an arrangement with all its sections portable designed to fit our living room. This led to an end-to-end/station-to-fiddle-yard-layout consisting of six sections with a total length of 4.30 metres. The loading gauge of the living room would allow an additional section of 40cm. This space is to be filled with a section intended to disguise the entrance to the fiddle yard in a nearer future.

My operational concept is meant to represent the situation at about 1968, where railblue was already common with the last examples of maroon locos and stock just at being phased out, so untidy compositions welcome. However, the mainstay of my stock is blue/grey. Iím still looking for a 08 shunter to replace a hymek on these duties, and of course Iím awkwardly awaiting the new Dapol Western.

Whilst certain aspects of the track plan should represent the situation at about 1970, the visible part of the layout is of course massively shortened to match the space available. Platform sizes enable to run six to eight coach trains which is okay to me since my focus is neither on 15-coach Britannia hauled expresses nor on scale length HSTís. Another problem was it was obvious there was quite no space for sidings in their prototypical locations like Marazion or Long Rock respectively. A solution was found with the idea of a headshunt at the eastern end of the station combined with additional sidings located to the sea wall.

The plannings so far:

Before starting the layout, I was lucky enough to meet some (of the very few) people in Germany interested in British N gauge. Three of them had decided to build their layouts to so called FREMO standards, applying a system of standardized modular ends for each of their sections. Although currently their existing layout themes are limited to Scottish and Welsh prototypes, the ability to combine all our British N gauge layouts to a greater network really caught my fancy, since I had to build up my layout in sections anyway.

Drawings of the standardized modular ends can be found here: http://www.finescale.org/finescale.org/Modulprofil.html

The Scottish themed part is portrayed here (sorry, itís in German, but comes with pics and drawings): http://www.ios-railway.de/1treffen.html

However, the idea of a combination of different regions in one (exhibition) layout is not necessarily crude, such layouts already exist in 009 called ďDiversity 009Ē:  http://www.diversity009.cd2.com/

A last challenge on the planning side is how to design a 40cm section both to disguise the fiddle entrance and to create a scenic transition to my friendsí layout sections. It may look like this:

I know this suggestion is in sharp contrast to the prototypical situation, but according to the modular design, itís no problem to replace this one if Iím ever going to expand the layout to Dawlish or so ;)

Well, back to the actual state of my project. I started with the fiddle yard. Thereís nothing special about it, probably except the use of the most primitive traverser ever built, connected to the flat end of the fiddle by its own weight only. Due to its compact design and the advantages of standardization itís possible to be lent and sent to meetings by mail.

Now thatís the situation achieved three weeks ago with the first major parts of the trackwork laid and ballasted. Again nothing that has not been seen before with all Peco 55 track and Seep motors. Operation is fully DCC with Digitrax (Loconet) as operational standard for the German modular systems already mentioned.

Two weeks ago I finished the basic tracklaying on the station sections. Although I had not done something like this before, to my own surprise, the amassment of five/eight tracks respectively crossing the sectional breaks and being cut there did not cause any problems at all.

Now when it comes to landscape and urban setting, I have many ideas but Iím still far from having planned all features in detail or even having acquired all the stuff needed. Whilst Iím not going to model any piece of brick in its prototypical location, I wish to give a more than generic representation especially of the buildings and the sea wall/sea portion.

I hope you like it so far. Any questions, comments and hints are more than welcome. I expect Iíll have lots of questions when it comes to landscape design and construction of buildings and of course, Iím was more than thankful for prototypical information so thanks in advance for answers to come.

Best regards, Matthias

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:33:21 pm by haeckmaen »

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Penzance modular layout project
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:00:53 am »
Welcome to the forum Matthias.  Looking forward to see your progress. :thumbsup:

:NGaugeForum:

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:57:42 pm »
Sarnau looks great in the NGS Journal, especially like the split layout design. Looking forward to seeing what the new one looks like :)

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 01:17:47 pm »
Welcome aboard Matthias, looks like you already have a wealth of experience to share. 

If you want to post pictures you can get a free photobucket account then you can just paste the IMG tags in your posts

Offline michael

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22982
    • Ebay
    • Crewe Paint Shop
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 04:45:14 pm »
cant believe your doing penzance! I have loads of sketchs and bits and pieces as thats exactly what Im going to do! My layout will be modern ay but with a very heavy emphasis on railtours so I can run a bit of everything. look forward to seeing yours progress as it will still be a little while before mine gets going.(Got to convert the garage first!)

Offline tadpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:06:12 pm »
I look forward to comparing you guys' progress with penzance - good luck to you both in the Great West Race. :D
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 08:53:15 pm »
Penzance is a great location to model! :thumbsup: There is the passenger terminus and goods, and fabulous coastal scenery - especially if you go out to Dawlish.

I have travelled to Penzance many times by rail myself and would probably have chosen that to model except that I wanted a through station for loops rather than end-to-end.

Looking forward to more pics from you both!

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline tadpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 10:57:41 pm »
You'd have to find a way of incorporating the St Ives branch, too.
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline haeckmaen

• Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:00:25 am »
First, thanks for the welcome and your comments. Apologies for the delay at including the photos, now I applied photobucket as suggested.

Now that all of you agree Penzance is a great prototype, I'm facing the challenge to make it an equally great model. However, progress will not be to fast since I did most of the work while I was on leave for one and a half weeks and don't have too much time to proceed in such a steady way regularly.

@mike it's a good idea to have a garage for Penzance rather than a living room so you can model much more to scale than I'll be able to. I guees in the end, hopefully we're going to have a small seventies and an large modern Penzance on here. However, due to the modular concept I may build sections towards St. Erth when Penzance itself is at the ready some time. Yet, I'm ages apart from that. Let's see how Dapol's 121 is to perform. According to other modular layouts I've seen, a generic representation of St.Ives branch might take another 6-8 metres of sections when modelled very modestly.

Hope to have more to offer soon :wave:

Matthias

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 02:45:18 am »
You'd have to find a way of incorporating the St Ives branch, too.

Yes, indeed!  It is widely accepted to be the most scenic branch line in the country (maybe they mean just England?).  It is very worthy of modelling.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 09:19:53 am »
Well I may not know much, but I know what I like, and that track work just looks so smooth, and a great job on the ballasting and weathering  :thumbsup:

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20957
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
    • My layout photos on Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 11:06:14 am »
Wow that is a pretty long layout for N gauge! Plenty of room to work with there and the trackwork is brilliant.

Offline Formerly NtasticShop

• N Gauge Society Number: 17713
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 02:45:49 pm »
Just need a few more stations along with mine (loosely based on Camborne) and we could model the Cornish main line.

Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Dapol Apologist (according to RMWeb)
Grumpy Old Git (Late 40s)
Member of NGS (but not allowed to comment)
Why am I surrounded by maroons?

Offline matt-b

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 06:29:34 pm »
your mark1 coach rake seems to be close coupled...how have you achived this? with gangwag connectors?

:NGaugeForum:

Offline haeckmaen

• Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 10:45:05 pm »
First, apologies for such few postings and replies in the last weeks since I'm currently on a placement lasting to the end of april with no frequent private internet access and separated from my layout which has made no progress so far  :-[

However, regarding to the close coupling issue, this is made easy with the new tooled Farish Mk1's, just replace the long shafted couplers mounted from new with the shorter ones http://www.bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/farish/379-402.jpg&cat_no=379-402&info=0&width=500&height=383

Replacing the longer couplings with shorter ones on either side will not work as the very close distance between a short-short-combination will not enable them to couple.

Regarding the long gap between the older Mk1 stock such as the BG's I found something from the german hand-crafted N-gauge scene fitting Mk1 perfectly without any difficulties in conversion.

German producer Eichhorn is offering a shortened rapido type metal-made coupling originally meant to fit older Minitrix and Arnold coaching stock, item No. 13043 at about GBP 7/pack of ten. Since Farish applies its couplings on Mk1 just the same way (except on the very old stock which do not have a sprung at all), I gave it a try. The modified coupling does even seem to work better with Farish than with continental stock as far as Minitrix and Arnold bogie stock tends to be longer while the gap is originally shorter than between Farish Mk1's. To be seen here:

http://75355.homepagemodules.de/file.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.homepagemodules.de%2Fb75355%2Ff38t945p6764n1.jpg&r=&content=Eichhorn+Kupplungsk%26ouml%3Bpfe+an+Farish-Wagen
http://75355.homepagemodules.de/file.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.homepagemodules.de%2Fb75355%2Ff38t945p6764n2.jpg&r=&content=Eichhorn+Kupplungsk%26ouml%3Bpfe+an+Farish-Wagen

Fit to a rake, I have to say it's working more than well. The couplings still negotiate a 9in and even somehow less radius, leaving automatic coupling in function.

Mr. Eichhorn does also run an english version of his site which is not in Oxford english, but it can be understood well what it's meant to say. http://www.eichhorn-modelle.de/P_R_O_D_U_K_T_E/S_P_U_R___N/Kupplungskopf_kurz/ENGLISH/english.html.

Best regards,
Matthias

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything