Hornby Arnold Brighton Belle running rough.

Started by badgercote, May 23, 2018, 03:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badgercote

It is only a few years old but the running is very jerky.
I have made sure the wheels and track are clean but it makes no difference. I have tried it on dc with the original blanking plug fitted and then on dcc with a Bachmann 6 pin decoder fitted but the response is similar, and sluggish.
I've spoken to BR Lines and Raildoc but they can't help due to lack of hornby spares so I'm asking on here if you've any suggestions as to how and where it might be looked at.
I'm going to ring Hornby to see if they can help.
Thanks.

Malc

Maybe a small drop of oil and check the pickups?
I'm sure Doctor Al will be along soon with better advice.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

ntpntpntp

Not had hold of one but I would assume it's using pretty standard Arnold parts, so you should be able to get hold of spares from Hornby if needed.  Sounds like it just needs stripping and servicing/fettling in the first instance.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Dr Al

I had to replace the motor on one - I couldn't get an original spare (there appear to be none), but a lot of detective work found the same style of motor that is fitted to a different Arnold loco. Had to swap the fittings (flywheels) to new motor.

The source of the spare was Lendons of Cardiff.

First thing to do though is get the motor cleaned up, commutator clean etc, and then see how it runs out of the chassis.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations