Best place to buy n gauge locos etc

Started by GWR_XC, May 01, 2018, 06:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWR_XC

Hello everyone

I would appreciate some advice again if possible please

Where is the best place to purchase used n gauge locos etc other than ebay or places like rails of Sheffield or hattons etc? I have tried all my local model shop within 60 miles radius and cannot find what I am looking for

It's kind of my fault really as I did have some of the n gauge locos about a month or so ago but foolish of me decided to sell them for 00 gauge as I moved house and thought I could make 00 gauge work which ideally I would prefer due to so much choice and the used cost being so cheap compared to n gauge

As it happens I have made a mistake as the space I thought I was allowed I can not have so 00 gauge is not really suitable for me no more, so it's either n gauge or just find another hobby I suppose

So I have a load of 00 gauge stuff some of which is quite rare but cannot find the n gauge stuff I would like not even on ebay so was wondering if anyone knew of any shops which stock a good amount of used n gauge

Really appreciate any advice

Thanks

javlinfaw7

Pastimes in Glasgow are a small local business that concentrates on second hand with a large amount of n gauge, also deals on e bay as dinkydoll , prices are reasonable  I recently bought 3 as new dapol dog fish at £14 each and an un boxed Collett coach for £10 again in very good condition. They are on holiday till 15/5/18

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Euston on May 01, 2018, 06:51:55 PM
... foolish of me decided to sell them for 00 gauge...

Sorry, I don't understand this word "sell"?   :D  :D   I think the last time I sold any model railway items was in the early 80s when I moved from British N to European.  I just can't bear to get rid of anything!

What sort of n gauge models are you looking for? 

Personally I'd say the vast majority of my purchases are from ebay these days as it's so convenient and the choice is wide compared to shops or 2nd hand traders at shows.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

keithfre

Might help if you told us what kind of n gauge stuff you're looking for  ;)

Skyline2uk

Agreed, let us know what you are after, and I am sure the NGF collective will have a few contacts to enquire with.

Skyline2uk

GWR_XC

Ok many thanks for the replys and advice it's appreciated

The mains stuff I am looking for is

Bachmann graham farish class 411 4 cep in BR blue grey (I have it in 00 gauge)

Inter city swallow class 47 Graham farish loco

Inter City swallow hst 125 Graham farish or dapol

Class 159 network south east

I actually have them all in 00 gauge, but they seem so hard to track down in n gauge so if anyone has any ideas where I can get any of them I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks

tunneroner61

What part of the country are you in? it's no good recommending secondhand shops if you are at the opposite end of the land. A rough idea would do. As you pointed out in your OP secondhand N gauge is not cheap.

ntpntpntp

Good luck finding the blue/grey 4CEP !  They only come up rarely and are rather sought-after!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

Farish HSTs come up quite often on eBay. Dapol less so, and when they do they're more expensive. 

The CEP is very rare (as in OO), no idea about the 47. The 159 is a very old model, so you're just reliant on one coming up.

GWR_XC

Again thanks for the replys and advice it's much appreciated

I'm located in the Portsmouth area

I know where I can get a brand new hst class 43 swallow 4 car set by dapol for £159 they only have just the one left.

And yes I understand the 4 cep is rare I really regret selling the one I did have, and it was hard enough getting it in 00 gauge as the box aside its like brand new.

So as it is I have tons of 00 stuff in Hornby Bachmann dapol and Lima some really rare stuff too, but if I stick with this the space I have for a layout is going to not be that enjoyable as would only manage to probably have a small end to end shunting layout

So n gauge is really the only option if I want to have a layout with many more options however it is proving extremely difficult to find the locos I want

Or I'm thinking just sell off all my model railway items and just not bother with the hobby, as costs aside its frustrating trying to buy n gauge stuff, most model shops I have phoned hardly have any stock,

If anyone has any ideas on where to find a 4 cep in BR blue grey for sale or swap even for 00 stuff please do let me know

Many thanks

Skyline2uk

I appreciate you have said "aside from eBay", but it might be worth setting up and alert on their for the Blue / Grey 4 CEP.

I have a few things being watched and if they look decent I grab them, at least with eBay you can be alerted automatically.

Skyline2uk

Dalek

Quote from: javlinfaw7 on May 01, 2018, 07:11:16 PM
Pastimes in Glasgow are a small local business that concentrates on second hand with a large amount of n gauge, also deals on e bay as dinkydoll , prices are reasonable  I recently bought 3 as new dapol dog fish at £14 each and an un boxed Collett coach for £10 again in very good condition. They are on holiday till 15/5/18

I've bought some bits n bobs from them at the Glasgow show in the past an wondered if they had a shop on ebay  :thankyousign:

Craig

njee20

Quote from: Euston on May 02, 2018, 07:58:56 AM
Or I'm thinking just sell off all my model railway items and just not bother with the hobby, as costs aside its frustrating trying to buy n gauge stuff, most model shops I have phoned hardly have any stock,

If anyone has any ideas on where to find a 4 cep in BR blue grey for sale or swap even for 00 stuff please do let me know

The problem you have is that you have an incredibly specific wishlist - you say you know of someone selling one of the things you want, yet you've not bought it, so presumably there's something else you want from the HST?

You say there's little choice in N gauge, and OO is cheaper, but look at the prices of Hornby's current HSTs, they're more than Dapol.

As for retailers are you actually finding they don't have stock, or again are you just looking for a very finite and specific list of long obsolete items? You're not far from the Engine Shed (Gaugemaster) at Ford, they hold tonnes of N gauge stock; basically most of the current ranges from Farish and Dapol. You won't find the items you want, because they're long out of production, but this isn't a failing of N gauge, I don't think you'd get any of your wishlist in OO either.

The best bet for your items is to set eBay alerts, you will pay a premium for the CEP if one comes up though, as they are highly sought after. The going rate is about £200, and 3 have sold on eBay in the last 2 months.

A quick search suggests the most common Swallow 47 is the old Poole manufactured "Fire Fly" which is a very dated model, but they come up regularly and sell for £40 or so. Again there have been several on eBay in recent months.

The HST we've already talked about - there are some Dapol ones around, or Farish ones come up fairly often for far less money.

There have been about half a dozen NSE 159s sold recently on eBay, prices between £50 and £90.

The stuff is out there - just wait.

monkey_brains

The 159s in particular are quite common on eBay - seems to be every other week they come up in my DMU alert
A keen modern image modeller in N Gauge, the latest creation I am working on is Cottingfield - an N Gauge Rule 1 Layout

Plotting has started on a DC controlled layout for the trains I can't easily convert to DCC North Wroxham - an N Gauge Modern Era Layout

ajc

There is plenty of secondhand N Gauge for sale at model railway exhibitions from traders or the club stand and at toyfairs. The ukmodelshops website has details of the majority of them and you can get a weekly email of the upcoming model railway exhibitions. I have bought several N Gauge items I was after which are out of production at such events. You don't know what you may find.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations