RIP Ken Dodd

Started by daveg, March 12, 2018, 08:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

Sad to read of Doddy's demise this morning.

He had a great run on and off the stage, and made many of us laugh without resorting to anything worse than the slightest innuendo.

Dave G

Bealman

A favourite of me mam.

How old was he, Dave?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

The Q

Sir Kenneth Arthur Dodd, OBE (8 November 1927 – 11 March 2018)
Age therefore 90.

daveg

Graham

he will be waiving his tickling stick at the pearly gates

Bealman

Yes indeed, Graham.

Dave, I just read that link right through. Very well written and very informative. Thanks for that!  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Farewell to a comic great. I've been through Knotty Ash several times and never seen a Diddyman, although I knew they were always there :(

Edit:- Loved the story on the BBC news this morning about Ken, after an interview, slipping something into a cameraman's pocket and saying "Have a drink on me". When the guy looked in his pocket he found a teabag :smiley-laughing:

swisstrains

RIP Doddy. I remember seeing his show for the first time at a club in the late 60's. After he had been on stage for about two hours he had a short break and we were given the choice of either catching the last buses home or staying for the rest of the show. I don't think anyone opted to leave and another two hours later we all walked home literally aching with laughter. And, as Dave G says, all without resorting to bad language even live on stage. Maybe not as popular with the modern generation but for those of us of a certain age he was a great comedian who will be sadly missed.

guest311

was HIGHLY privilaged to see him at Worthing Pier a few years ago, and much the same outcome.

I think by the time he finally finished the last train / bus / pony express had stopped operating, luckily we drove down !

an absolute master, who lead you to the risque joke, but without any smut himself. an absolute genius, who will be sadly missed,

and of course he's now beyond the clutches of HMRC  :D

daffy

Saw his theatre stage show with my parents while on holiday near Great Yarmouth back when I was a child in the dim and distant past. My mum loved his humour and I remember enjoying his madcap style. His TV shows were always watched at home.

I read today that his publicist described him as "one of the last music hall greats", a sentiment I would echo. R.I.P.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

DJM Dave

Saw Ken at the Warrington Pyramid Hall about 8 years ago it was.

Ken came on stage at 7pm, and we left with him still on stage at 1am.

The only breaks he had was 2 or 3 for a duration of a maximum of 10 minutes each.

No idea what time he left the stage, but his humour was timeless. Not smutty, no swear words, just fun and innuendo.

The last of his generation.

RIP Sir Ken.
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

cjdodd

Quote from: daveg on March 12, 2018, 08:00:39 AM
Sad to read of Doddy's demise this morning.

I'm still here you know.

Zogbert Splod

"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Buffin

I've seen Ken Dodd three times.

First time was when a friend took me, it was in an almost empty theatre in Wolverhampton, but he still gave it the works.

Years later, after I had happily got married, I took my wife to see him at Rickmansworth. She couldn't believe what I'd told her about what to expect! And then a few years later we went again.

Time moves on. Today's schoolkids have probably never heard of him, and they'll never know what they missed.

And what do we know, of what went on before our time?

Steven B

I saw him seven or eight years ago and two things stood out. His singing voice was so much better than I'd ever imagined, and his local knowledge was outstanding. He was making jokes about local villages and suburbs of town that only a local would only know. Decades of touring clearly rubbed off - he must have been amazing at British geography at the local pub quiz.

Steven B.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations