Packaging N gauge for postage

Started by d-a-n, March 10, 2018, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d-a-n

Do you reckon boxed Farish wagons will be ok posted in a jiffybag or do you think they require something a bit more substantial to protect them?

Newportnobby

Sorry, but having sent out loads of stuff on behalf of the forum and of myself (check my trade count), I'd use something more substantial and always use 'signed for' post. I take the attitude the Royal Mail are likely to play footie with what I send so protect things accordingly. Of course, £4.50 postage might seem daft for a Farish wagon but at least I know the buyer will get one item and not a box of bits!
Some have even protested my parcels are bomb proof and difficult to open but I've only had one breakage and, you got it, that was in a Jiffy bag :doh:

Railwaygun

I add a piece of soft cling film around an item before putting it in the box, and a slice of bubble rap on top. Then a bubble wrap " sausage roll"

Old plastic bags / crumpled newspaper are good shock absorbers!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Intercity

Having received many packages (lots through international postage) the best ones were the boxes I struggled to get into, most pack a flat rate box full of newspaper, bubble wrap, foam peanuts (make sure the item is in the center of the box and hasn't shifted to the wall of the box), quite a few have been double boxed (prevents some hamfisted worker from accidentally ripping the box open).

A buyer really shouldn't complain for over packing, it's peace of mind for the seller, both parties know what's inside so care is likely to be taken by both sides packing and opening, your biggest worry are the shipping handlers.

As Newport Nobby said ⚽️ with the little box

ntpntpntp

Definitely use a box not a jiffy bag, and pack properly as has been mentioned. Make sure the model itself is protected against sliding about in its box, which can damage the paintwork and crack the inner box liner.

Whilst things that have been sent to me in jiffys seem to survive ok, I'm not impressed especially when the seller charged a significant amount for postage.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

trkilliman

Having previously spent many years with R/Mail in a major sorting office I have seen many packages that have broken open.

I never ever witnessed anyone playing football with a package, but have seen countless packages that fell well short of sufficient and thoughtful packaging.

Jiffy bags only offer a modicum of protection, so for locos and rolling stock something like the Dapol plastic packaging cases are idea. You need to understand that your package during transit may find itself at the bottom or lower parts of a container, with some weight on top of it.

It is upsetting to see a package that has broken open due to poor packaging, and every attempt would be made to get it re-packaged and to it's destination. They had a section called heartbreak corner where many of these items would end up.

To summerise, always aim to pack it "bomb proof", send it signed for, put your senders details on the reverse, your postcode and house name or number in brackets will suffice. If we do all we can from our end and they mess up we have every right to complain, whoever the courier is.

Phoenix

Everything I have received from dealers has been superbly packed in boxes with some sort of padding, and I have never had anything broken, so boxes and padding would be best.

One company I dealt with used popcorn instead of the polystyrene bits. An awesome idea, cheaper I expect than the polystyrene, and far more ecologically, and customer friendly  :thumbsup:

Intercity

I would also place a packing slip inside the package with seller and buyer addresses on it, that way if the package does get damaged there is info inside to try to get the box to it's destination, I usually try to place clear sellotape over the address so that if it gets wet the address won't smudge.

Trk I wasn't implying that posties generally kick packages around but I have had some clearly damaged by a foot, so it does happen, I'm sure like in many industries it is a minority that either do it on purpose or even accidentally (trying to move a box by foot as a short cut to actually picking it up), it would just suck the big one to be a victim of this minority.

Luke Piewalker

There's always the option to slide some box cardboard in either side inside the jiffy bag to give a bit more stiffness.

trkilliman

Some good tips Intercity..it all helps.

Supermarkets tend to have bubblewrap between layers of apples, and they throw it away. I've picked up countless pieces of it and never been challenged at the checkout. O.K it's not expensive to buy but why not re-cycle it?

Tropical fishshops/Maidenhead aquatics get frozen livefood in some useful sized polystyrene boxes. As the contents are enclosed in plastic bubbles the boxes are internally very clean. Again they are invariably thrown out but can be useful for posting items.

d-a-n

Thanks for the replies everyone - I'll be on the lookout for some small boxes today and will use crumpled newspaper for padding (better for the environment.) The delivery info inside is a great idea, plus a chance to see if the receivers of the wagons are on here by signing off as me from www.ngaugeforum.co.uk!!

carderrail

I always wrap cardboard around the wagon box to create an open sided box then a few layers of bubble wrap then into a jiffy type bag - never had any problems.

Tony

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations