Planning test track/ shunting board.

Started by IkBrunel, March 07, 2018, 11:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IkBrunel

I'm planning on setting up a small layout on a board 53x77cm whilst I'm working on my main layout. It will primarily be used for testing locos and setting the dcc addresses and parameters of my locos but it would be nice if I could have a bit of fun with it too. Does anyone have any suggestions or plans of what I could do with it? I have enough track to make a loop and a siding that came with a set I bough a while ago. This is on there temporarily but I would like it to double up as a test track and a a grab and go shunting board to have a bit of fun with.
Anybody have any suggestions of plans for a nice little layout like this?

IkBrunel

Also feel free to post pictures of your tiny layouts or test tracks. It would be greatly appreciated.

PostModN66

Gosh, 77cm is very small.  Maybe take a look in "box file layouts" for some ideas. With the typical detachable fiddle yard they often have they may come out about this length.

My favourite for this size would be a loco shed, perhaps on a kick-back from a turntable.

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

IkBrunel

Quote from: PostModN66 on March 08, 2018, 09:23:05 PM
Gosh, 77cm is very small.  Maybe take a look in "box file layouts" for some ideas. With the typical detachable fiddle yard they often have they may come out about this length.

My favourite for this size would be a loco shed, perhaps on a kick-back from a turntable.

Cheers Jon  :)
Brilliant. I will search for those. I know it's small but the layout is just for testing locos and setting dcc addresses etc. If I have few points I can check locos running over them etc and hopefully have a little fun doing it. I had an off cut laying about that just fit on the oval that comes with farish train sets.  I thought this would form the basis of a nice little test track.

AlexanderJesse

=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

IkBrunel

AlexanderJesse

I haad anpother look at the plan I have proposed...
- it has an error. The short straight track from the double-switch which leads over the oval would create a incline which is way too steep..
To fix this, before the double-switch a curve is needed to remove the cross-over.
- it may be difficult to adapt to your board (currently is a few millis too deep) especially if you would want to use peco rails. Btw you have not specified which rail system you want to use.
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

AlexanderJesse

Can you respond to these questions to get a better idea of your plans?
- what track/rail do you want to use?
- should the test-track be on one level, or can it use more than one level?

I just played around with Kato:

and with Peco:
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

IkBrunel

Hi. Thanks for the comprehensive answers. I'm using peco set track.

AlexanderJesse

Another session playing around :) This time with Peco ST (a few pieces of Code 80 Flex) different types of switches and some possibilities for shunting puzzles.

and from above

1: Industry or goods shed
2: diesel-shunter sleeping place and refuelling station
3: shunter sleeping place
4: steam shunter shed and coaling/water/... service station
5: a small station

I know it is almost a track-desert, but... on such a small place...
At least a train can run around. It can pass different types of switches and crossings. And it won's be always easy to fetch 2 wagons from one industry and bring them in reversed order to another goods shed... And on some sidings a wagon cannot be deposited at the end forever, because it would interfere with the running train on the run-around loop.
In the center a little hill or some hint of a small town can be modelled.
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

IkBrunel

Those are cracking little layouts. Thanks so much for them. I will be laying some track on the board tonight. Can I ask what programme you used to design them?

AlexanderJesse

Scarm (free edition). Send me a pm with your email and I can send you the file for editing.
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations