Spraying in cool/cold weather.

Started by emjaybee, November 18, 2019, 10:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maridunian

Hi Mike - just spotted this. Commiserations - you must feel awful.

I'd press on rather than going back. If you start stripping with solvents, your filler might also be affected.

Careful rubbing down, avoiding the rivets is one way to go.

Personally, I'd be tempted to let the whole thing  dry out for a week or more, then try filling the crazy-paving cracks with something water-based, either a very fine filler (Games Workshop Green Stuff seems to be water based) or multiple applications of brush-applied, water-thinned, artist-type acrylic paint. Rubbing down should hopefully then give you a flat surface.

If that works without detonating new unknown-unknown chemistries, you're where you wanted to be, otherwise you're not much worse-off than you are currently.

You'll be worried I'm sure about future coats of paint, decaling and varnishing. Once again water-based artist paints and varnishes would be my get-out-of-jail strategy.

Thanks for sharing this salutary tale - we've all done something similar, if not on a beautifully hand-crafted, unique model.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Simon D.

Quote@Chuffington
QuoteA mini greenhouse costs about £15 and with the addition of a small heater you can warm up the inside along with your spay can and it also works as a spray booth. Packs away easily when you have finished with it.

Sounds interesting.  Can you give us an example please?

Chuffington

Quote from: Simon D. on December 16, 2019, 01:16:29 PM
Quote@Chuffington
QuoteA mini greenhouse costs about £15 and with the addition of a small heater you can warm up the inside along with your spay can and it also works as a spray booth. Packs away easily when you have finished with it.

Sounds interesting.  Can you give us an example please?
Seems as though they are a bit cheaper than I thought !
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pvc-2-Tier-Home-Plant-Greenhouse-Garden-Cover-Plants-Flowers-Mini-Garden-Cov-J7L/312890143600?epid=13032104667&hash=item48d9b4b370:g:AMIAAOSwfzJd9QO5

RailGooner

emjaybee

@RailGooner my usual paint regime is:

grey primer
grey primer
gloss lacquer
gloss lacquer
decals
satin lacquer

On this item it WOULD have been:

gloss lacquer
decals (rivets)
grey primer
grey primer
gloss lacquer
gloss lacquer
decals
satin lacquer

I have had a couple of PM's from AR, and he has confirmed that he laid the decal rivets onto the grey primer, so I think that will probably be the avenue I go down once I've established the cause of the problem.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

emjaybee

@maridunian I shall have a go at rectifying the issue without a full sand-back, but it'll have to be after Christmas now.

I'll probably try to sand the effective area back first and if that isn't feasable I'll try to perhaps fill the 'crazing'.

Thanks for the support.
Brookline build thread:

maridunian

The solvent in the primer has partly dissolved the gloss lacquer. The primer and lacquer will have mixed somewhat at their interface before they each set (at different rates, hence the shrinkage). I'd avoid using any products containing a solvent related to either the laquer or primer in subsequent layers on this model as the problem could recur.

Good luck!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

emjaybee

Quote from: maridunian on December 17, 2019, 08:08:02 AM
The solvent in the primer has partly dissolved the gloss lacquer. The primer and lacquer will have mixed somewhat at their interface before they each set (at different rates, hence the shrinkage). I'd avoid using any products containing a solvent related to either the laquer or primer in subsequent layers on this model as the problem could recur.

Good luck!

Mike

Both the gloss lacquer and the primer are acrylic.

The lacquer was laid on over a month before I did the primer.

We'll get there.

:thumbsup:
Brookline build thread:

David Asquith

Quote from: RailGooner on November 19, 2019, 08:14:39 AM
Applying paint in sub-optimal temperatures can result in an effect known as blooming. Blooming is likely to occur as the paint dries - so all methods of paint application are susceptible.

On a relatively smooth large surface like a car body panel, one can polish out the blooming. On a small surface like an N model, with lots of contour changes and detail... I'd rather avoid blooming in the first place. Perhaps do a test - paint in the workshop and remove to a warmer environment while the paint cures(?).

The tent idea I posted earlier, came to mind from an experience when once deployed in an air-conditioned 10 man tent. One chap found it too cold, so he erected a solo tent within the 10 man tent.

Aircon tent!!!!??????  Which army were you in?  I must have been in the wrong one. :D :laughabovepost:

RailGooner

Quote from: David Asquith on December 17, 2019, 01:02:28 PM
Quote from: RailGooner on November 19, 2019, 08:14:39 AM
Applying paint in sub-optimal temperatures can result in an effect known as blooming. Blooming is likely to occur as the paint dries - so all methods of paint application are susceptible.

On a relatively smooth large surface like a car body panel, one can polish out the blooming. On a small surface like an N model, with lots of contour changes and detail... I'd rather avoid blooming in the first place. Perhaps do a test - paint in the workshop and remove to a warmer environment while the paint cures(?).

The tent idea I posted earlier, came to mind from an experience when once deployed in an air-conditioned 10 man tent. One chap found it too cold, so he erected a solo tent within the 10 man tent.

Aircon tent!!!!??????  Which army were you in?  I must have been in the wrong one. :D :laughabovepost:

RAF, living in a tented village built by US Army Engineers at Incirlik Air Base home of the US Air Force's 39th Air Base Wing.

:sorrysign: :offtopicsign:
This was between the two Gulf Wars. Tuesday thru Sunday, Allied Air Forces would fly sorties over Northern Iraq: enforcing the no fly zone; drop humanitarian aid to the Kurds; recce Saddam's forces and repel those moving against the Kurds. Our Turkish hosts banned us from flying on Mondays. As a NATO partner and our hosts, Turkey had access to the recce material. That recce material also showed where the Kurds were. On Mondays, the Turkish Air Force would fly missions to bomb the Kurds!

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world. :(

David Asquith

It certainly is.  I suppose if you were on a US base there were plenty of coke machines around ;D

RailGooner

Oh yes. There was a full Commissary, a Dairy Queen, a Popeye's, video rental, pizza, etc. I was happy as I could get chilli dogs and Twinkies. As part of the Forces Covenant the US Gov promises that service personnel will be able to buy any US made goods anywhere in the world for the same price as sold on US soil, or some such.

Fardap

Quote from: emjaybee on December 16, 2019, 10:19:39 PM

grey primer
grey primer
gloss lacquer
gloss lacquer
decals
satin lacquer

gloss lacquer
decals (rivets)
grey primer
grey primer
gloss lacquer
gloss lacquer
decals
satin lacquer

I have had a couple of PM's from AR, and he has confirmed that he laid the decal rivets onto the grey primer, so I think that will probably be the avenue I go down once I've established the cause of the problem.

Just a thought what was the base model before the application of the gloss lacquer layer? Assume it was unpainted but if not maybe there might have been a reaction at that stage?

emjaybee

Quote from: Fardap on December 18, 2019, 04:39:42 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on December 16, 2019, 10:19:39 PM

grey primer
grey primer
gloss lacquer
gloss lacquer
decals
satin lacquer

gloss lacquer
decals (rivets)
grey primer
grey primer
gloss lacquer
gloss lacquer
decals
satin lacquer

Just a thought what was the base model before the application of the gloss lacquer layer? Assume it was unpainted but if not maybe there might have been a reaction at that stage?

A fair point.

It had been filled, sanded etc., and it had a coat of grey primer, before more filling, sanding and then a gloss lacquer prior to decal rivets.

Everything prior to the recent coat of primer was in the order that I've tested those products in with no problems.
Brookline build thread:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77