!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modern Traction Kits (MTK)  (Read 510 times)

Offline LostBoy30A

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Modern Traction Kits (MTK)
« on: November 15, 2017, 11:41:59 pm »
Hi,
I'm having a wait asking the seller of the MTK n gauge BRCW 3 car DMU about how complete a model it builds up to.
Is it a complete DMU? No motor? Just bodyshells that fit onto RTR chassis? Who knows?

How ironic that I choose N gauge after I start using reading glasses.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
Re: Modern Traction Kits (MTK)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 07:05:44 am »
Hi,
The kit will contain brass overlay etches, cast ends, cast underframe parts and a plastic roof and underframe in  black and clear plastic section - curved for the bodyside.  There are bogies to make up a dummy unit - a hook and bar hornby coupling and some plastic wheelsets. I think also some self tappers to fit bogie mounts.

Colin Massingham who originated the kit did fine 2mm scale etches. THe castings are variable and are generally slightly over size which is good as if thinned just enough to leave a slight step down to the clear side allows for a flush join when overlay added - use evostick to attach- just the slightest smear, with prepainted sides a good unit is possible.

The slight downside is motorising - the thickish plastic sides do reduce turning space for say a farish motor bogie unit. The newer chassis no chance. Years ago I fitted half of a lifelike GP40 and its motor- tight it worked better with an old ECM motor - a small can motor and a bit of tubing as the flex drive bit.

Hope you have fun building it. If you check out the BHE web site/show stand you will find the same range or parts of it still available.

Robert     

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 09:05:28 am »
Most of these MTK kits got bought and were subsequently upgraded by BHE. Better castings for end details. Newer bogies with proper Rapido couplings. No NEM couplings here.

The worst part of these kits by far are the cab fronts. I have considered using Dapol cab fronts (liberated from a bubble car by using Paul Churchill's 128 parcels railcar 3D kit) for the derby (and similar) build DMUs.
To be honest, you would be better off getting brass sides that fitted older Farish Mk 1 coaches, stripped the paint and overlaid them on those, than using the original bits that make the coach body.
Having said all that which sounds negative, the best kits are the SR EMUs and the Swindon 123 Inter city units - they have decent cab ends that look right.

So if the price is worth the whitemetal underframe parts and the brass sides, go for it, but use old Farish Mk 1s as the base. It will run a lot better than the original kit. Alternatively get a set of BHE whitemetal fittings for the DMU and Worsley Works brass sides.

What Robert said is correct about powering these. I have used Greenmax and Microace chassis in the past, but the bogies are usually wrong size. If you are using Farish coaches, the 158/170 is a better choice.

HTH
Bob

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 09:16:33 am »

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 09:19:17 am »
So if the price is worth the whitemetal underframe parts and the brass sides, go for it, but use old Farish Mk 1s as the base. It will run a lot better than the original kit. Alternatively get a set of BHE whitemetal fittings for the DMU and Worsley Works brass sides.

Hi

As mentioned in another thread if doing this the etches are to 2mm (1/152) scale so the sides will be slightly smaller than the farish coach.

Cheers

Paul

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Railway Graphics
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 01:01:15 pm »
Bob Davies at N-Train does a conversion for the Farish 101 into a 104 using Electra sides on the old Farish clear shell. A bit of modelling is needed to construct the cab roof dome out of Milliput but the end result is very good. I can stick a photo on later.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Railway Graphics
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 03:59:00 pm »
I built a number of MTK coach kits when starting in N gauge in the 70's as it was about the only way to get other types of coach instead of the BCK/CK/SK offered by Farish, Lima, and Minitrix ( and which looked very odd when mixing rakes from the different manufacturers). The etchings were good, the cast ends acceptable with work, but the underframes were poor; I did update some coaches with Ultima etches, but all mine are now long consigned to the history book. The MTK mk1 bogies were however, quite good, and some still run under my old Farish Poole mk1s, and their LNER bogies under some non-corridors I have built from various sources.

I echo Capt Electra's comment about the cl 104 dmu-apart from the fact I can't find the proper roof ventilators.

Martyn

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Railway Graphics
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 10:46:19 am »
Here's a picture of my converted 104 as the Carlisle Sandite coach:

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Railway Graphics
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline LostBoy30A

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 08:01:35 pm »
Thanks everyone. I learned quite a bit but alas, it sold quite quickly before I could get it.
How ironic that I choose N gauge after I start using reading glasses.

Offline robert shrives

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 07:50:48 am »
Hi FWIW At Warley show  Simon Culverhouse and friends were showing Sutton on sea a layout built in 1981 and excellent in every  running stock of the build time and MTK and scratch on minitrix  chassis. There was a display of kits and yes MTK did feature - so  guess whilst kits are dated now in the collectable  sphere- but like an old wine a gamble and valueless one drunk /(kit)built other than the enjoyment had.

Happy modelling.

Robert 

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 08:28:59 am »
I have four MTK mk1 kits stowed away, including a sleeper. Also have a few pairs of Etched pixels Hawksworth coach sides. I'm gonna get around to these in the next couple of months. A bit of hands on modelling...

Offline robert shrives

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 10:34:51 am »
 Hi

If you do build the coaches the bogies while lovely mouldings are old hat and come with a hook and loop coupling - well worth replacing with a GF bogie- not the latest one however. 

Robert

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything