!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: scratchbuild woodwork  (Read 241 times)

Online Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
scratchbuild woodwork
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:30:26 pm »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about scratch building woodwork structures; bridges, huts, tunnels etc...

By my calculations (which could always be wrong!), a match stick...... assuming its 2-2.5mm wide is equivalent to 12-17 inches thick. So even a trestle bridge using 8"x8" timbres would look too big. I'd like to try building some slatted tunnels and bridges like this;

But even matchstick width is way out on size........ I will probably make some things anyway and see how they look, I'm not worried at all about being pedantic on scale but was looking for inspiration from other members. What's been made and what works well? I'd like to build from wood rather than making plasticard etc.. look like wood (I hope that makes sense).

My scroll saw was my first thought but once I started planning and drawing things I got thinking about scale....... I'm not sure I can cut so small??

Any thoughts from the more experienced modellers out there?

Thanks
Paul

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: scratchbuild woodwork
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:37:05 pm »
Snaffle some coffee stirrers from your local coffee shop and trim them to size?

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 10:06:18 pm »
Try somewhere that sells model boats. Usually they sell strip wood as well down to 2mm square, possibly finer and "planks" of various widths to 1mm thickness. Model Railroader some years ago produced a drawing of the angles and placement of the timbers.
Cheers
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:30:11 pm »
Eileens Emporium do bass wood strips down to 1/16th inch square. That represents just over 9" square so not too far over-scale.
https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=1145&name=bass-wood-strips&Itemid=189

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 01:00:46 am »
Hi,

I'm probably talking rubbish but my 6' fence is held up by 4" x 4" posts so surely a trestle bridge's posts have got to be larger than 8" x 8". If not, I'm not going on one  :no:. I'd use matchsticks. Sounds about right to me, or bigger. Scary.

I did try to find trestle bridge dimensions but no luck with the post widths.

Sorry if I am talking rubbish,

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 05:46:40 am »
Thanks for the link. Iíd not heard of Eileenís before and now itís bookmarked.

I'm probably talking rubbish but my 6' fence is held up by 4" x 4" posts so surely a trestle bridge's posts have got to be larger than 8" x 8".

Hi Weave, you may well be correct. Iím just going off images so I may be way out. I was just using 8x8 as an example. It is surprising though how strong wood can be as part of a structure and itís not all about thickness. A fence post has no sideways bracing, once you add bracing, spread the load, use the ďpower of trianglesĒ etc....... itís amazing how strong a structure can be even without huge thick timbres and with very simple pin joints.

I think I need to order some bits and have a play on the workbench. I should also get the layout built before worrying about the details but all this working way gives me too much time to think rather than do!  :help:

Offline ozzie Bill.

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 05:58:13 am »
I use toothpicks for trestles and similar and, once in place, they do not look over scale. In fact, they look about right for the actual uprights. There are plenty of sheets of basswood etc that you can buy and cut to size, so no problem for the various cross pieces.

Online 70000

• N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 06:32:41 am »
Have used cocktail sticks and kebab sticks for posts and telegraph poles in N gauge.  Coffee stirrers are a bit to big for N, but I have used a lot of them on G Scale (1:24 ish) buildings and rolling stock.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 07:40:29 am »
Hi again,

Saw this in case you haven't seen it,

http://www.rhyman.org/articles/trestles-rgs-style

Mentions 12" x 12 " under the Bents bit but other dimensions mentioned for different parts. Haven't read it properly.

Hope helps.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything