!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Retun loop on DCwith common return.  (Read 200 times)

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
Retun loop on DCwith common return.
« on: October 23, 2017, 11:11:22 am »
OK having not touched the layout since 2014, it is now a collection of bits and moving to a new home.  The version is basically a big roundy, roundy with a fiddle yard that in effect is a terminus, so I have designed a return loop to get maximum use of my stock.
I used common return wiring on the last layout that worked fine. Does anyone know if I insert a return loop and keep it isolated will the common return system work?  Obviously (to me) on the return loop it would need 2 x return feeds from each of the controllers but does anyone see any other problems?
Does this make sense ?
Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
Re: Retun loop on DCwith common return.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 02:18:27 pm »
I used common return, Jerry, putting a double isolated section in the middle of the reversing loop controlled by a DPDT centre-off switch. 
The centre contacts on the switch go to the isolated section and one side of the outers are connected to the controller, with wires jumping across to reverse the polarity on the other side.
When an engine runs into the dead section and stops, I switch to power from the side from which it came for a second to make sure that the engine is completely in the switchable section (in case the pick-ups are one polarity from engine and the other from tender).  Then I reverse the direction on the controller, flick the switch to connect to the outgoing side, and away we go.
There are electronic modules which will do it for you if you don't want to do it yourself, but one switch and four IRJs will do the job.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 02:27:45 pm »
I used common return, Jerry, putting a double isolated section in the middle of the reversing loop controlled by a DPDT centre-off switch. 
The centre contacts on the switch go to the isolated section and one side of the outers are connected to the controller, with wires jumping across to reverse the polarity on the other side.
When an engine runs into the dead section and stops, I switch to power from the side from which it came for a second to make sure that the engine is completely in the switchable section (in case the pick-ups are one polarity from engine and the other from tender).  Then I reverse the direction on the controller, flick the switch to connect to the outgoing side, and away we go.
There are electronic modules which will do it for you if you don't want to do it yourself, but one switch and four IRJs will do the job.

What he said. I did the same on my old layout, it worked fine.

Regards,

John P

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:55:06 am »

Thanks for your responses, so I tried experimenting using a lot of wires a DPDT switch and a light bulb..  It seems to work fine, I did try wiring the 2 "return" pins on the DPDT switch directly it worked but the bulb shone with increased brightness when switched to one of the controls not the other ?  The Controllers are 9volt.  I'm just intrigued but will make sure the 1st loco to be tested is an old one...

Jerry

Offline keerout

• N Gauge Society Number: 21976
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 10:47:08 am »
Hi Jerry,
Brian Lambert has something on the subject... : http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical%20page%202.html
-at the bottom of the page- hope it helps...
Gerard

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 12:15:41 pm »
Hi Jerry,
Brian Lambert has something on the subject... : http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical%20page%202.html
-at the bottom of the page- hope it helps...
Gerard

Perfect thanks for this.  Jerry

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here