Farish Virgin Class 57/3

Started by PWayman, October 22, 2017, 12:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PWayman

I have a Farish Virgin ThunderbirdClass 57/3 with the standard flat front.  Is there a conversion available for the Dellner coupler (cosmetic I suppose ) so I can use this for a drag of the Revolution Pendolino ?  I seem to remember seeing a transfer option available.    Can anyone help ?

Bret

PWayman

I have since discovered that Frizinghall make (made) self adhesive stickers to represent the dellner but would prefer a better way of doing this if at all possible. Any body have a clue as to availability of such a conversion?

PWayman

I have the Farish Virgin class 57/3 with the flat front and am asking if anyone knows a conversion to alter this to represent a Dellner coupling version. A while back Frizinghall made self adhesive stickers to represent the coupling but I wonder if there is anything better available.

Bret

davidinyork

I'm not aware of any conversion parts, and Bachmann have since made the Dellner-fitted version in both gauges.

PLD

Quote from: PWayman on October 22, 2017, 12:48:25 PM
I have a Farish Virgin ThunderbirdClass 57/3 with the standard flat front.  Is there a conversion available for the Dellner coupler (cosmetic I suppose ) so I can use this for a drag of the Revolution Pendolino ?

If you want a Delner fitted loco, why buy a model of a loco that (accurately) doesn't have a Delner then convert it, when Farish do a version with Delner saving you the effort??

e.g. http://www.hattons.co.uk/182031/Graham_Farish_371_650A_Class_57_3_57306_Jeff_Tracy_in_Virgin_Trains_livery/StockDetail.aspx

koyli55002

Worth asking Farish Customer Service if a new body is available ?

njee20

Even if it is I'd wager that you'd do better to sell what you have and buy a new one.

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on October 24, 2017, 09:49:26 PM
Even if it is I'd wager that you'd do better to sell what you have and buy a new one.

The newer ones have NEM couplings and circuit boards with standard 6-pin DCC sockets. The 57301 model has the old fixed couplings, and is one of those early DCC-ready models with solder points on the circuit board.

In any case, I don't think Bachmann sell bodyshells as spare parts, do they?

koyli55002

The newer ones have NEM couplings and circuit boards with standard 6-pin DCC sockets. The 57301 model has the old fixed couplings, and is one of those early DCC-ready models with solder points on the circuit board.

In any case, I don't think Bachmann sell bodyshells as spare parts, do they?
[/quote]

I've bought a couple of bodyshells (for 37's) from them......

red_death

How were Pendolinos rescued before the Dellners were fitted? IIRC the Dellners weren't fitted when the 57s started Thunderbird duties for the Pendolinos - between 2002 and 2003 there must have been a period where non-Dellner fitted locos rescued Pendolinos.

Cheers, Mike

njee20

Must admit I can only find Dellner-fitted 57s on drags, although there are photos of a 66 dragging a full unit with a barrier wagon, so they obviously exist.

davidinyork

Quote from: red_death on October 25, 2017, 10:46:07 AM
How were Pendolinos rescued before the Dellners were fitted? IIRC the Dellners weren't fitted when the 57s started Thunderbird duties for the Pendolinos - between 2002 and 2003 there must have been a period where non-Dellner fitted locos rescued Pendolinos.

Cheers, Mike

Yes, they used an emergency coupler which attached to the drawhook of the loco.

PWayman

In answer to PLD I would not have bought an old 57/3. I bought mine when they first came out many years ago.

I do seem to remember that they dragged then with an emergency coupler as just suggested. The fixed Dellner was a later improvement. I will look into a body replacement but then there is the complication of the lights.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Bret

davidinyork

Quote from: PWayman on October 25, 2017, 02:52:05 PM
    I do seem to remember that they dragged then with an emergency coupler as just suggested. The fixed Dellner was a later improvement. I will look into a body replacement but then there is the complication of the lights

The first twelve 57/3s didn't have the Dellners for a while after conversion from Class 47s. They went back to Loughborough to have them fitted later. The final four, which were an additional order, had them fitted at the time of conversion from 47s.

More recently a less intrusive system has been used, with drophead Dellners mounted on the coupler - several Class 37s and rebuilt 73/9s have been fitted with these.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations