is it me or has the world of n gauge lost the plot?

Started by Railbank, October 10, 2017, 07:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntpntpntp

Quote from: JBM37404 on October 12, 2017, 10:39:56 AM
I won't pay 3 figures for anything which is my policy. Maybe some others remember the lima £20 locos years ago.

Yes and those Lima locos were awful, I wouldn't give £20 for them now.  I would like to get one of the final production class 86 "Navalty" (sic) with can motor,  I know it will be little better than the previous model but would like an example for my informal "history of n gauge" collection".  I missed the one on ebay last week, it went over my limit (which was already way more than I could properly justify!!)

I also seem to have a subconcious red line at 3 figures for a single loco, over the years this has grown to be a severe limitation given I run continental N.  I will occasionally jump over it for something I really really want, and of course I accept that multiple units are somewhat more expensive.  On the other hand, I do seem to have examples of most things I'd actually want anyway, so the re-issue/reliveries of existing models mostly pass me by.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Intercity

Reading through the thread it seems most of the replies are from locals who are modeling the local outline (ie, brits modeling British railways), is it as easy for someone over there to model and obtain outline from a different country (someone modeling the US outline), once that happens your potential selection of models goes down to the latest and most popular of the current time, it's not like you can pop into a hobby store and browse for what you want without a 4000 mile flight!!!

At this point the Internet is really the place to turn to, and sites like eBay become a resource for a lot of models, now comes supply and demand, a model that's hard to get becomes instantly popular, a bidding war may occur and the perceived price becomes inflated, individual restraint is needed for you to set a max price and not get sucked in by the "I won't lose" mentality.

Have I paid over for models in the past? Yes, did I regret doing so? No, why? Because at the time I really wanted it and I knew what I was doing (lucky for the seller)

At the end of the day if you want it and can afford it, go for it, if it's too much then walk away.

njee20

The other advantage with model Railway stuff is that it usually increases in value over quite a short time as production runs sell out. I know I've bought loads of stuff on a whim, knowing that I can just sell it on in a year or two and break even or even profit. I suspect this mentality is prevalent on eBay too and it itself becomes a vicious circle.

Railbank

a good response to my post thank you all. :thankyousign:

as echoed on here by several and as I put it in my original post it is a purely personal a choice if you want it, can afford it,then have it. The same applies whether its n gauge, antiques, cars, houses, or any of the other stuff that we individuals buy it just that lately the prices of some second hand stuff seem unreal to my mind.

so to summarise where I am after 30 years or so of n gauge.

New releases/items still in stock by the trade;

-preferred choice is small model shop, 1 man band type, with internet trading portal as no local shop nearby, either matching box shifters or pretty close (over last month I have bought 2 x 37's from 2 shops, 1 at less than the box shifters, plus preordered a 40 from one of them). We need to keep this section of the trade alive for the future of the hobby.

-second is buy bargains from a box shifter (2 x 37's at bargain prices this month for renumbering).

-remaining choice is pot luck on my travels looking round local shops on spec. again I try to buy something off each to give them trade.

New Stuff on Ebay
- steer clear of items at same price or more than the above sources - I now just wholesale scroll down the Buy it Now entries by established and part time traders as its usually far over priced to get back the trading fees.

2nd Hand on Ebay
- set a general auction limit of 80% of Box Shifter type new price, including postage and only then for something really wanted, usual limit set s 60/70%
- Buy it Now as above (latest buy is a DCC ready 37 for £60 including postage, looks unused - small model shop on ebay)
- anything with a reserve is ignored, pet hate as the reserves are usually inflated and its a waste of time waiting to get above the reserve prices in dribs & drabs - start your price at your reserve, its only worth what someone is willing to pay at that moment in time.
- avoid low/mixed feedback sellers

A good idea taken from one of the posts is I will get a list together for the track/points/motors I want for my next layout, (starting soon I hope), and ask at the nearest shops to me what they can do, TMC at Whitby is 20 miles away and Monk Bar in York about 40 miles, (TMC near Whitby is also a damn fine excuse for sampling some of the finest fish & chip establishments in Great Britain).

Any way that's my thoughts and happy n gauging.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations