!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hello all, returning to modelling after 25 year hiatus  (Read 109 times)

Offline deltic009

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Hello all, returning to modelling after 25 year hiatus
« on: October 04, 2017, 06:24:02 am »
Good morning to you all,

As the title suggests, I'm returning to modelling for the sake of making a layout for my son's for Xmas. I did have a model before when I was 9-15, but that fell into disrepair and salldly got dismantled (they'd have loved it, 10ft, 13ft, 11ft in an N-shape round the room).

I didn't really get hands on then, but I am helping my parents this time to put together a build that's going on an outside shed in the garden.

What I am wondering is, for the platforms we have some strips of pre-glued lengths of edging that we plan to place along the tracks in some of the salvaged boards we have. For the sake of time I'm looking for the quickest way I can then fill the space between these two edges to make the platform itself, be it some form of poured plaster or whatever you innovative folks may suggest - so if you could please make any practical suggestions they'd be most welcomed.

Also, in 25 years this stuff hasn't half got expensive - I nearly fainted when I saw the price of coaches even - I have a rake of VSOE Pullman's mostly from Cheltenham Model Centre and these have 4.95 stickers on them for then brand new items.

Many thanks in advance for any advice and I'm hoping I can become an active and informative member of the N-gauge community as time goes on.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Hello all, returning to modelling after 25 year hiatus
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 06:40:03 am »
G'day from Australia, deltic009 (009? You on the right forum?  ;))!

Welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

As for your question.... I'm assuming the platform edges you refer to are Peco? If so, I have tried three methods with them. I infilled one station with plaster, which didn't look too bad but cracked over the passing of time (bit like real platforms, I suppose), another I topped with card, and yet another with plasticard.

Of the three, I found the plasticard easiest, though I like the look of the plaster better.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:25:55 am »
Good Morning and welcome aboard.
I've usec the card and plasticard methods but prefer plasticard as you can choose whichever textured surface you prefer. Just some zig zag shaped card strips underneath will give it support.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline deltic009

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 10:10:46 am »
Okay, thanks for the suggestions, I feared plater may be subject to later cracking issues, I'm not a fan of cutting plasticard to shape, but this shall only become a very cruical issue with regards to the ramps which taper in on a curve.

And yes to the guess, they are Peco items I believe, but it's been over 25 years since I glued them together, they never got placed properly on the old layout but I fear a lot more need to be purchased to fully kit out both of the stations we have planned.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 10:29:21 am »
Hi, and welcome the forum :wave:
I agree with Port Perran about using zig zagged shaped stiff card between the platform walls but would then suggest something like balsa wood covered with wet & dry for the surface.

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 11:57:20 am »
Welcome to the forum,
I have read of some people using plasterboard to create the main parts of the platforms. I believe the 9mm thick plasterboard works well if you have the track raised on cork or another similar material. You can then use the Peco platform edges to create the front of the station platform.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything