!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Motorising the Oxford Diecast New Routemaster bus  (Read 1035 times)

Offline robert shrives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
Re: Motorising the Oxford Diecast New Routemaster bus
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 07:28:51 pm »
Wow! excellent look forward to seeing more bus related fun.

Robert   

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 12:40:39 pm »

Hi Mike,

That looks excellent - well thought out and well explained!

Thanks!

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 11:00:27 am »
There have been some revisions to the transit packing of the Walthers/Tomytec chassis which are detailed here:-

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39293.new#new
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association Française des Amis du N (AFAN)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 01:13:11 am »

Hi Mike,

I found these images showing some new Tomytec items.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOYdydUNpSCQNRi46JaMep1fhTDoaAkejUl9o6q8T-b8hQE9yFzPkU3dsPgxEP5HA?key=Y3Y2SExoZFFwWnMza1U4V1VLekRHTEJlUzl0SW1R

Scrolling down reveals a new three axle double decker, and a single decker that to my eyes seems a little more British than many other Japanese models.

But I don't know much about buses - are any of these suitable for British layouts?  Is the double decker the same as the Oxford Tube?

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline woodbury22uk

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 10:23:08 am »

Hi Mike,

I found these images showing some new Tomytec items.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOYdydUNpSCQNRi46JaMep1fhTDoaAkejUl9o6q8T-b8hQE9yFzPkU3dsPgxEP5HA?key=Y3Y2SExoZFFwWnMza1U4V1VLekRHTEJlUzl0SW1R

Scrolling down reveals a new three axle double decker, and a single decker that to my eyes seems a little more British than many other Japanese models.

But I don't know much about buses - are any of these suitable for British layouts?  Is the double decker the same as the Oxford Tube?

Cheers

Ben A.

The Japanese double deck coach is a Mitsubishi Fuso Aeroking and has a style which is common across Asia. The most recent Oxford Tube coaches are Van Hool Astromegas, and have some styling echos. The most noticeable difference is that the Japanese coach height is 20cm shorter than the European coach, probably due to different construction and use regulations. I have a Tomytec Aeroking on order so it will get the motorising treatment at some stage.

The Astromega is used by Megabus and Eavesway in quite large numbers so might make a good 3D print model. As far as I know the Aeroking is not generally on sale in the UK.

Mike

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 11:55:43 pm »
Great work with the Borismaster, they look great driving along on their own. Can you place wire under any roadway, like the Faller system, or are you restricted to using the preformed roadways?

Those single deckers and the tri-axle could look quite convincing on a uk layout I think, there are so many different manufacturers and styles of buses around now I think most people would be hard pressed to say it's not UK based. Just looking in the coach park at Windsor opposite Windsor and Eton Central station you see a huge range of different coaches from all over Europe, so the double decker wouldn't look out of place.

Cheers, Timmo
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:57:01 pm by pape_timmo, Reason: Chipolata fingers, spelling mistakes »

Offline woodbury22uk

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 09:31:38 am »
Great work with the Borismaster, they look great driving along on their own. Can you place wire under any roadway, like the Faller system, or are you restricted to using the preformed roadways?

Cheers, Timmo

The Tomytec wire can be laid in any roadway about 0.5mm below the surface. Tomytec steering magnets are stronger than the ones used by Faller so in theory some adjustment is needed for both to run both on the same wire. This can be achieved by varying the height of the magnet above road level. My “go anywhere” test circuit is a sheet of A4-ish Metcalfe tarmac card with the wire held on the underside with masking tape. Two neodymium magnets (3mm diameter x 1mm thick) provide the bus stop where the bus halts, pauses for about 7 seconds and then restarts. With more space I could include a magnet after and another before the stop to speed the bus up after starting and then slow it, and apply the brake lights, before stopping.

Mike

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 02:58:18 pm »
Thank you Mike, that’s handy to know.

I hadn’t considered motorising the road vehicles on my layout before, but after seeing what you’re doing I’m definitely going to plan it in somewhere. Saying that, I’ve got to get the frames built first, and then start the track and the scenery and the...... you get the picture.

Cheers, Timmo

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything