Where to sell N Gauge stuff

Started by davecttr, September 24, 2017, 11:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJKERR

Quote from: Ian Morton on September 24, 2017, 06:35:31 PMListing items on eBay will take a lot of time to take the photos, research suitable prices, upload the photos along with the descriptions, answer questions, check payments against orders, pack and post, update the listings on line as things sell, answer more questions
This is why eBay separated out the bid and postage elements
You can now include any and all costs within the postage element, this includes almost all of the elements above
I include about 50p per item, this takes into account transport to/from Post Office
I once had a buyer complain the postage cost was too high, eBay accepted my response and quoted their terms to the buyer

mattycoops43

I would do some browsing on ebay and follow some items that are similar and see what they go for, I think you will be surprised. You won't get many wagons for £4 these days, £6-7 is the normal price small wagons go for. Many things are going for silly prices because the new stuff is so expensive now.

I think it would be worth you paying someone to service the loco's, they are probably just gummed up from lack of use, but you will get a fraction of the price for things non running, or bad running. Freshly serviced and running well will make a decent hike in price. If you can get someone to check them as a job lot, with a bit of a discount it will be well worth it!

I would also second trying to avoid ebay for as long as possible, they can be useful, but charge a large percentage now, you sell a few hundred pounds worth and you will get a frightening bill the month afterwards, and they charge percentage on postage as well, so you have to take that into account. I had a right row with a buyer who complained that I had charged him what post had cost me plus the ebay percentage, he just wouldn't accept I had only charged him what it had cost me. Their terms and conditions also favour the buyer far too much, so if they complain about anything, basically they will take the money back from your account and you will have to argue about it afterwards.

Matt

ps-got any blue grey era stuff?

davecttr

I am still confused about Paypal and money. If a buyer and I agree a price and the money is sent to me via Paypal where do Paypal collect their percentage?

longbow

If the payment is for goods and services, eg via eBay, the recipient pays a fee of 3.6% plus 20p. However transfers between friends and family are (mostly) free, so if you sell privately you may avoid fees.   

njee20

Quote from: davecttr on September 25, 2017, 12:05:45 AM
I am still confused about Paypal and money. If a buyer and I agree a price and the money is sent to me via Paypal where do Paypal collect their percentage?

At source. So you say £50 for x. Buyer pays £50, you get £48 in your PayPal account which you can then transfer to your current account.

As said, there is also "friends and family" aka PayPal Gift where the buyer surrenders any sort of protection and there are no fees paid by you. The buyer pays fees to pay by credit card - so the £50 item costs them £52, but you get the full £50. Many buyers are reluctant to use Gift for goods because you forfeit any protection in the event you turn out to be a scammer!

MJKERR

Quote from: longbow on September 25, 2017, 01:00:38 AM
If the payment is for goods and services, eg via eBay, the recipient pays a fee of 3.6% plus 20p
However transfers between friends and family are (mostly) free, so if you sell privately you may avoid fees.
There are two types of PayPal accounts, and fees vary depending on the account type

Please remember that on a personal account using anything other than the Pay for Goods and Services is not protected

PayPal Business accounts standard rate is 3.4% plus 20p
This rate falls depending on sales volume
There is also Micropayments, 5.0% plus 5p, which is suitable for payments up to £9.00

davecttr

Thanks for clarifying the payment issue.

I now need to research the postage charge issues.

If I wanted say £50 for an item I have the alternative of asking for £50 plus P&P or say £55 including P&P.

I am inclining to let the buyer decide on family or goods, with goods I will absorb the costs.

Thinks - I have a shed full of Hattons boxes. I could try recycling them into smaller boxes suitable for one or two items.

Question - does payment in euros or dollars work with Paypal?

Hopefully some stuff will be ready to sell by next week. As I don't want selling to take over my life, disposing of everything could take several months.

I think I will start with this forum and the related N'porium site.

njee20

- personally I think absorbing postage costs is a big plus on eBay, it makes you stand out, I wouldn't worry so much on here

- there would be no reason whatsoever for a buyer to ever use friends & family, personally even if a seller requests it I'll just pay via normal goods channels and pay the fees myself, just in case I have cause to use the buyer protection. I dislike people asking for friends & family payments personally

- Dollars, Euros, Yuan or Zloty all fine, you can either request payment in whatever currency from a buyer, or a buyer can send an amount in any currency they want. If a buyer sends payment in dollars you will have dollars in your PayPal account though, it's not all converted. You'll always lose out on the exchange rate at some point, so I'd be more inclined to just ask for Sterling, like I say, anyone can send payment in Sterling - let them absorb the forex fees.

Newportnobby

Quote from: davecttr on September 25, 2017, 09:03:39 AM

I think I will start with this forum and the related N'porium site.

Next to each forum name on their posts is a trader count whereby you can tell if anyone has negative comments made from transactions, be it buying or selling.
It would seem I'm way too trusting as I always pay via friends/family paypal :hmmm:
I have heaps of Rails of Sheffield boxes I use to send stuff out in so am a good recycler of packaging :angel:
As I said earlier, you'll need a pic of what you're selling (and that pic must be of your item) to get an advert approved.

njee20

I've sent you a PM too, as I may well be interested in significant parts of your collection and won't need photos or anything  :)

MJKERR

Quote from: davecttr on September 25, 2017, 09:03:39 AM
Question - does payment in euros or dollars work with Paypal?
I have noted your profile shows you are in the UK
By default you should be using GBP
Equally, try to avoid transactions outwith the UK, the postage costs are higher and you are open to fraud (buyer claims three months later they did not receive the parcel / item)

ebay UK has an option to use a fixed price onward posting service, but again once the parcel leaves the UK it is no longer covered
I used it once, never again as it was just the same as using Parcel Force

njee20

I've often wondered with the eBay international postage thing who's responsible. Your responsibility is to send the parcel to the eBay forwarding centre, thereafter I'd say it's their responsibility, so in the event the item doesn't arrive (having left eBay's distribution centre) I would argue they're responsible. Never looked if that's the case officially.

I personally don't restrict buyers to UK only, and have sold quite a bit of stuff to people all over the world. PayPal fees are higher from other countries, but as I said (and MJKERR has reiterated) there's no reason really to take payment in anything other than pounds.

davecttr

What is the normal procedure, buyer pays when they get the goods or goods posted when the payment arrives?

AlexanderJesse

Quote from: davecttr on September 25, 2017, 11:39:04 AM
What is the normal procedure, buyer pays when they get the goods or goods posted when the payment arrives?
That is how most of the auction site or private deals are done
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

dannyboy

Quote from: davecttr on September 25, 2017, 11:39:04 AM

Never post until you have the money. If you post the goods without receiving the money - and don't use tracked post - all the buyer has to say is that the item has not arrived. You are then out of pocket.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations