!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Backscene painting  (Read 320 times)

Offline signalman1

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Backscene painting
« on: September 24, 2017, 11:23:07 am »
I am about to start painting my back scene and I'm not to sure how to go about it. I will be having just blue sky and clouds nothing to fancy as I want to be looking at my layout and not the wall behind  ;). Need tips on shades of blue to use and the creation of clouds. :thankyousign:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Backscene painting
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 12:57:31 pm »
Need tips on shades of blue to use and the creation of clouds. :thankyousign:

I guess it depends on what season you want create. Spring could be pale blue and summer bright blue. Autumn/winter could be shades of grey rather than blue. Thinking back to various make-over programmes on the telly (e.g. Changing Rooms), clouds could be created by ragging or spongeing i.e. set a background colour then dab with a scrunched up rag/sponge wetted with cloud colour paint.
You might guess I've never tried it although it's something I'll have to turn my hand to at some point :uneasy:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:46:51 pm by newportnobby, Reason: remembered the name of the TV prog »

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:59:40 pm »
Depends on the surface on which you are painting, Les.  Trial pots of household emulsions from your local d-i-y store would be best if you are actually painting on the wall.  If you are painting onto some impervious board then I would use acrylics: Cyan Blue, Zinc Mixing White, Pains Grey, and Matte Acrylic Medium.  You need a good quality "sky" brush, a cheap bristle brush for the clouds, something like a No.7 round, and a flat-bottomed bowl for mixing. 
Your main problem will be getting the paint fairly even from one end of the layout to the other so that there are no scenic breaks in the sky, though a strategically placed cloud can hide flaws.  Try mixing a lot of white with the medium (which is there to slow the drying time) and add blue cautiously until you get the shade you want for the horizon.  On a painting I would be adding more blue higher in the sky, but on a standard N-gauge background of 9-12 inches that is probably unnecessary.  You need to work with long brush-strokes, as lifting the brush off and putting it down again will give you unwanted lines in the sky.
For the clouds, first have a careful look at the variation in the colour of the clouds on some day which approximates the effect you want.  Then put some white in your bowl with a tiny amount of Pains Grey at one side, and mix the grey roughly into one side of the white.  Decide on the direction which the light is coming from, start with the pure white on the top of the cloud on that side, and add slightly greyer shades on the other side and below.  Clouds nearer to you, (higher in the sky) will be wider than the thinner ones further away.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 12:59:55 pm »
Hi signalman1,

Sorry, I don't know, but hope to attempt a similar thing next week if I can get the backboards up today so will be very interested in any ideas/tips from others.

I'll let you know how I get on with my efforts in the next few weeks. Have googled some 'painting sky' sites but not very seriously yet and they're mainly 'proper' art.

The few I watched say 'white background then add whatever colour blue you choose' so I suppose it's a case of several match pots/ paint samples from the DIY shop and seeing what looks right.

I'm modelling Spain so want it sunny (no clouds!). The only tip I have so far is start at the top and wash the blue down so it gets lighter.

Prob no help but good luck.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 01:29:45 pm »
Hi LAandNQFan,

We posted at the same time. Wish I'd waited. Thanks for that. Good advice.

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 01:34:24 pm »
I'd cheat and find a suitable  picture of the sky i like and use https://rasterbator.net/ to make enlarge it

Offline signalman1

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 02:32:33 pm »
Depends on the surface on which you are painting, Les.  Trial pots of household emulsions from your local d-i-y store would be best if you are actually painting on the wall.  If you are painting onto some impervious board then I would use acrylics: Cyan Blue, Zinc Mixing White, Pains Grey, and Matte Acrylic Medium.  You need a good quality "sky" brush, a cheap bristle brush for the clouds, something like a No.7 round, and a flat-bottomed bowl for mixing. 
Your main problem will be getting the paint fairly even from one end of the layout to the other so that there are no scenic breaks in the sky, though a strategically placed cloud can hide flaws.  Try mixing a lot of white with the medium (which is there to slow the drying time) and add blue cautiously until you get the shade you want for the horizon.  On a painting I would be adding more blue higher in the sky, but on a standard N-gauge background of 9-12 inches that is probably unnecessary.  You need to work with long brush-strokes, as lifting the brush off and putting it down again will give you unwanted lines in the sky.
For the clouds, first have a careful look at the variation in the colour of the clouds on some day which approximates the effect you want.  Then put some white in your bowl with a tiny amount of Pains Grey at one side, and mix the grey roughly into one side of the white.  Decide on the direction which the light is coming from, start with the pure white on the top of the cloud on that side, and add slightly greyer shades on the other side and below.  Clouds nearer to you, (higher in the sky) will be wider than the thinner ones further away.
I've got two options David. the MDF that I have screwed to the wall behind the layout or cover it with lining paper and if I make a mess I can always rip it off and start again.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:36:39 pm by signalman1 »

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 02:54:59 pm »
I can print on banner paper up to 4' long, so I either use downloaded sky if I want a fair bit of cloud, or use a cloud effect in my image editor which gives a typical summer sky with very light high cloud;

Summer sky when stretched to 4' long looks even better, also further editing can graduate the blue paler towards the bottom;

Cloudy;

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:57:35 pm by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 02:58:28 pm »
Back in the 50s, 60s the Rev Peter Denny used poster paint and described his technique extensively in the magazines of the time.

There is also an epilogue in the compilation book Buckingham Branch Lines (Wild Swan).

I'm no artist either, but basic observation makes sense.... look straight above your head at the sky on a clear day, and it's blue.

Look towards the horizon, and it's almost white. Therefore if you are painting your own, start off darker at top, and get lighter and lighter as you go down.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline signalman1

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 03:13:30 pm »
I can print on banner paper up to 4' long, so I either use downloaded sky if I want a fair bit of cloud, or use a cloud effect in my image editor which gives a typical summer sky with very light high cloud;

Summer sky when stretched to 4' long looks even better, also further editing can graduate the blue paler towards the bottom;

Cloudy;

That looks great Mike . you don't sell backgrounds do you  :D

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 04:37:08 pm »
If you can print them I can send you the files. There are 4 cloud ones that have been edited such that the ends match so you can cover 16' before getting a repeat.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline signalman1

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 06:46:27 pm »
If you can print them I can send you the files. There are 4 cloud ones that have been edited such that the ends match so you can cover 16' before getting a repeat.

I can't use banner paper in my printer unfortunately, but thanks for the offer of sending me the files.
Les

Offline signalman1

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 06:50:07 pm »
Hi signalman1,

Sorry, I don't know, but hope to attempt a similar thing next week if I can get the backboards up today so will be very interested in any ideas/tips from others.

I'll let you know how I get on with my efforts in the next few weeks. Have googled some 'painting sky' sites but not very seriously yet and they're mainly 'proper' art.

The few I watched say 'white background then add whatever colour blue you choose' so I suppose it's a case of several match pots/ paint samples from the DIY shop and seeing what looks right.

I'm modelling Spain so want it sunny (no clouds!). The only tip I have so far is start at the top and wash the blue down so it gets lighter.

Prob no help but good luck.

Envy you painting a sky with no clouds  :D

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 08:37:40 pm »
If you are painting direct onto the mdf, Les, you should get some Gesso also and prime the board before painting.  Depending on the quality of your lining paper, it might be a good idea even if you line it first.  I get most of my stuff painting requisites from The Works or Dunelm and what I detailed above would cost you 20-25, which might make buying a commercial sky paper cheaper!
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 10:08:31 pm »
I have been trying to decide what to do and would love some files to have a play with if you don't mind?

Matt

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here