Suitable middle coach for BR/WR auto train?

Started by Yet_Another, September 20, 2017, 09:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yet_Another

I fell victim to a whim and purchased the recent Graham Farish 64xx and a couple of trailers. I think I'd like a 'middle' coach as well, but I presume that only specific examples would be acceptable, given the requirement for the mechanical linkage twixt autocoach cab and loco.

Is there a plausible candidate available as a current or recent release?

Apologies if this is a daft question, everything else I own has a TOPS number.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

zwilnik

It would normally be another auto coach (because as you say, the linkages). However.. Because 2 coaches in a row tended to make the linkages a bit sloppy, they'd often run top and tail around the loco. i.e. one auto coach either side of the loco, with the driver just using the relevant coach cab for the direction of travel.

Yet_Another

Ah, thank you. I was going to run them top and tail, so it looks like I'll need a third if I want a longer train :hmmm:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Karhedron

There were some GWR suburban coaches fitted with through-linkages for working with auto coaches. Off the top of my head, these were the diagram C66 and C75 compartment 3rds. Nothing similar to these vehicles is available RTR unfortunately.

Simply adding more autocoaches is easier and perfectly prototypical to have up to 4 autocoaches with a single loco (maximum of 2 on each end). This photo from Plymouth shows a typical arrangement.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations