!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Motorising an N-Train Enviro double deck bus  (Read 388 times)

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Motorising an N-Train Enviro double deck bus
« on: September 16, 2017, 01:27:23 pm »
One of my purchases from N-Train at TINGS was the Enviro double deck bus. This is a nicely 3D printed bus with a separate and complete interior for both decks and separate wheels for ease of painting. My intention was to motorise it using the only Tomytec chassis which will fit easily. This is the Li-po powered WBM-L01/WBML2 which is sold separately but is also found in the Walthers American GMC 4512H bus, the Tomytec Citaro Bendi bus, and the Faller continental Citaro bus. Retailers like Osborn's and DMToys have them in Europe although with post-Brexit exchange rates the price may bring tears to your eyes. Walthers have them on offer today at a much lower price but adding postage and the certainty of import VAT and Parcelforce handling charges the all-up price means Osborn's are probably cheaper. The bus is available on N-train at shows, but may be out of stock at the moment.

Anyway I wanted to preserve as much of the interior as I could and have managed to get a neat result. Next time I'll use a razor saw to butcher the N-train combined interior/chassis rather than the Dremel which is keen to melt the 3d printed polished-WSF plastic. I set the wheelbase to 38mm, and shimmed a bit to get things level and with the correct ground clearance. Seen in the video on my take-it-anywhere test track which has a bus stop for the bus to pull up at. Now I have to choose a livery.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:28:44 pm by woodbury22uk, Reason: Grammar »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association Française des Amis du N (AFAN)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
Re: Motorising an N-Train Enviro double deck bus
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 02:24:54 pm »

Hi Mike,

Very nice.  Has to be red, doesn't it?

And what's the finish of the print like?

Cheers

Ben

Offline woodbury22uk

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 03:08:13 pm »

Hi Mike,

Very nice.  Has to be red, doesn't it?

And what's the finish of the print like?

Cheers

Ben

Ben. Two shades of red with a gold swish between the wheels may be a suitable scheme as used in Brum on new and repainted double deckers, but they have some similar buses in Brum now which are two shades of grey and a red flash which have the swish high backed seats that Bob has put in to the model.

The quality of the print is good. Polished WSF often comes up with a good finish. I'll see what its like when I get some grey (or red?) primer on it.

The bus body is just a little bit higher than scale though length and width seem more or less in scale.

I also bought an N train Mercedes truck to motorise, and thanks to Bob's skillful design the Tomytec BM-03 just clips straight in. That will be needing a bright orange and white livery I think - à la TNT or similar logistics firm.

Video of it running here with an earlier version of the Enviro with too liitle ground clearance and a scratch interior.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 03:09:14 pm by woodbury22uk, Reason: Spelling again »
Mike

Offline Evans

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 05:11:07 pm »
Hi Mike
I gotta say that looks great, and the colour scheme chosen is one i would choose, just seems the right choice. Just seeing the possibilities of this is giving me ideas  :)
Keep us updated on how it goes, love to see it when fully completed.
Im starting to think i'm going to have to have a bigger railway to accommodate all these new things im learning.

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Railway Graphics
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 06:06:28 pm »
I have produced bodyside vinyls for one of Bob's previous bus projects - the Mercedes Citaro. The Enviro should pose no issues so I should, in theory, be able to do sets in various generic operator liveries with or without advertising or custom jobs to suit your own layout.

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Railway Graphics
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline woodbury22uk

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 06:21:16 pm »
I wondered about that Adam. I'll see how I go with this one using paint and some masking, but if I need several I can see the advantage of the overlays.

To be continued.
Mike

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 08:02:03 pm »
Very good modelling ! I look forward to the WM red version and have several chassis in stock ready to go . sadly in my rush at TINGS failed to spot them on Bob and Adam`s stand - more fool me but hopefully next year ... if not sooner as Bob has to eat.

Robert   

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 11:16:10 pm »
The bus was so new, I only had the one at the show, but will be ordering some more in shortly.

I will double check my dimensions, but I did use manufacturer information...........

I am keen to do a ready to motorise version, but the chassis seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Offline Evans

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 09:23:46 am »
Going to have to keep my eyes open for this, as its something that interests me.

Offline woodbury22uk

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 09:36:43 am »
The bus was so new, I only had the one at the show, but will be ordering some more in shortly.

I will double check my dimensions, but I did use manufacturer information...........

I am keen to do a ready to motorise version, but the chassis seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Hi Bob

I think the Enviro bus is excellent. The height is not obviously too much, until you start measuring as I did for fitting in the motorised chassis. I have the manufacturers drawings for 4 different versions which I can let you have. I can also lend you a chassis at the same time. I'll PM you.

The chassis has been in and out of stock at Walthers several times in the last 18 months. When it goes out of stock they drop the price to $40. Luckily I bought mine before the $/£ rate went down in June 2016, which made an order for 4 good value even with the shipping, customs clearance and VAT.

The DMToys price is scary although they have them in stock. https://www.en.dm-toys.de/produktdetails/items/Faller_976297.html

Mike

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 05:26:14 pm »
Just a thought DCC supplies had  a range of the buses and chassis - I made a little demo for them - it was at Warley last year and seemed to help sales.

Robert   

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything