!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fading scenics  (Read 233 times)

Offline Evans

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Fading scenics
« on: September 12, 2017, 06:47:47 pm »
Hello everyone.
Finally got some spare time to start on my scenics, grass, ballast, mud etc on my kato layout, now about a couple of months ago i randomly built a coach holiday let with grass out back making a nice garden for the family to play in. So today i returned to it to find that it has completely faded, the lush green grass is now a very faded green grass. The green that i bought was the usual stuff you see at model shows in bags, even the brown has faded!
Any ideas on best way to stop this or whether i need to go to premium scenics? and which brands are the best. Thought it best to sort now before i start on the whole layout.
This is a strange request and any help be much appreciated.

Offline bvm

• Awards
Re: Fading scenics
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:56:01 pm »
Fading after a few years may be but a few weeks suggests either a very very cheap product or a faulty batch. Think it is worth contacting the supplier.

Woodland Scenics are certainly a quality product but they do recommend spraying the landscaping AFTER application to provide protection from ultra-violet light which causes the fading.

You need to do the same thing if you use downloadable kits for buildings and print them with inkjets.

Regards
Brian

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:08:48 pm »
Is your layout subject to a lot of sun light? That can produce fading very quickly. Sometimes help to keep curtains closed most of the time.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:10:30 pm »
Has the layout been sitting in full sunshine?

What type/brands of grass etc. have you used - are they the coloured sawdust type or ground foam?   

I'm a big fan of Woodland Scenics for scatter materials.  After 20 years the grass on my layout has hardly faded, but the overall scenery has "blended" and toned down a little more than it was at the beginning, and to be honest actually looks better for it.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Evans

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 08:26:36 pm »
Thanks all, it is sitting in an alcove in some light but from the comments it would seem that i bought the cheap stuff (lesson learnt, it didnt have a name on it). Time to spend well for a lasting effect.  What do you spray on afterwards?
 :thankyousign: all

Offline keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:31:33 pm »
Time to spend well for a lasting effect.
Why not have a go at painting it to restore the colour first?

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 11:11:32 pm »
I agree with comment #3 above. Woodland Scenics is the preferred product. The sunlight and UV are very savage here in Australia, and my layout which is housed in the garage cops regular doses of them through the open door and window.

The Woodland Scenics stuff still looks OK after 30 years!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything