Childhood memories (ruined)

Started by Intercity, September 04, 2017, 03:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themadhippy

QuoteDid you ever visit Tescos in the early 70s
Not often,we were more a fine fare family.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

davidinyork

Quote from: broadsword on September 04, 2017, 03:46:07 PM
As someone said, the past is a foreign country!

It was the novelist LP Hartley: "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there". It's the first line of his novel 'The Go-Between'.

Newportnobby

Quote from: davidinyork on September 06, 2017, 09:08:51 PM
Quote from: broadsword on September 04, 2017, 03:46:07 PM
As someone said, the past is a foreign country!

It was the novelist LP Hartley: "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there". It's the first line of his novel 'The Go-Between'.

Ah. I thought that was J.R. Hartley, the chap who piddled on a telephone directory and called it the Yellow Pages :dunce:

dannyboy

I thought J R Hartley was the chap who went fishing for flies  ???
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daffy

If the past is a foreign country, which one was it?  :hmmm: Did I speak the lingo when I was there, cos I can only speak English now?  :-\

You forget so much. :(
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

marco neri

Steam trains....here they are a rarity..wa have not very steam locos in service.

IRON MAIDEN in Rome (1981) one ticket=£ 5

IRON MAIDEN in Rome (2016) one ticket £ 50😟.

...too much trash food

Cheers

Marco

...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

The Q

Quote from: joe cassidy on September 06, 2017, 08:32:12 PM
Quote from: themadhippy on September 06, 2017, 06:28:06 PM
QuoteDon't lose sight of the fact that some things are better now than in the 60s/70s.

- there's a much better choice of food & drink in supermarkets

And the death of  town centers and the small independent butcher, baker and greengrocer

Did you ever visit Tescos in the early 70s ?

Rice was exotic (except when boiled with milk and sugar and served with a dollop of jam).

Does anyone feel nostalgic about tapioca, sago, school dinners, gypsy tart (makes you ..........) ?

Does anyone miss the Navy Lark, Sing Something Simple with the Adams Singers, followed by Sunday evening TV ?

Best regards,

Joe
[/quote
No.... where I lived for the majority of the 1970s there was no Tesco and  :) still isn't  :) (Benbecula, Outer Hebridies).  I didn't see a Tesco until 1990...in Milton Keynes.

Our current Tesco food aisles are gradually being taken over by pre-prepared plastic junk in expensive small plastic packaging... another aisle went last week.

The Military bases had a NAAFI, very variable.... :(

I certainly don't miss the school food, which at one of the schools was bad enough to reach national TV. :dunce:

Yes I do miss the navy lark.... Left hand down a bit... and I still listen to Friday night is Music night....

I hate Macdonalds  Sweet Buns with your burgers?! that's just not right!! and I hate the Office...
The only MacDonalds owned café I would Enter, is the one in Armadale Castle... (that's Clan MacDonald not a stupid red clown)..

:) :) :)Fast food.. Fish /Chicken / Sausage / Pie and Chips from the chip shop in Station Approach, Ludgershall. :) :).   food of the gods....    Now gone in the turning of the old railway station site into a housing estate.

When I moved to Norfolk (1999) we had a bank in bank street, a baker in bakers street and a good variety of other shops, then Tescos opened. The banks / building societies have gone as has the bakers it's mostly charity shops now......

"cos I can only speak English now",  you'd have had a clip round the ear'ole from the teacher for saying "cos" and not "because"...

Newportnobby

Does anyone feel nostalgic about tapioca, sago, school dinners, gypsy tart (makes you ..........) ?

Does anyone miss the Navy Lark, Sing Something Simple with the Adams Singers, followed by Sunday evening TV ?

School dinners - green lumps in the mashed potato, prismatic scum floating on the boiled mince (a bit like you see floating on oil), cabbage with the life boiled out of it :sick2:, pink custard on rock hard choc bricks (yum). But at one school we had a tuck shop where you could get cream buns and iced chelsea buns :drool: At another school the seniors got coffee with their dinner but it came in metal handleless mugs so you had to wrap a handkerchief round it or scald your fingers :ouch:

Yes - I remember Sing Something Sinful, along with Sunday lunchtime radio like The Goons, Round the Horn, The Clitheroe Kid, Hancock's Half Hour etc but in the evening my parents used to watch the appalling Black & White Minstrel Show ::)

Bealman

Yeah my mother used to love that.  :sick:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Nick

Certainly do! I still listen to the Navy Lark on DAB!  :D
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

austinbob

Is that on on Radio 4 Extra? Lots of good old stuff on there.
:)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Nick

Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

railsquid

Quote from: The Q on September 06, 2017, 11:44:27 AM
I wrote a long piece about the things I've lost of my childhood memories (plus  most of my adult life) but it's vanished into the ether. So here's a precis...

Schools of the 5 schools I attended.
1 is a community centre, two are demolished, one is half its previous size and one is still intact...

Of my places of work
Two have closed and moved elsewhere, one has gone completely, 4 have gone down from around 600 staff to about 25., one is half it's size. and I'm still in this one...

Three of the five schools I attended have been demolished, I found when I checked them up on Google maps. All three were in the same town and I haven't been back there for 20 years so the sense of loss is minimal (OK, I punched the air in celebration when I saw one had been reduced to the outline of its foundations). The two other schools (in very different towns) still exist.

broadsword

One of the schools I attended is now a Wetherspoons type pub with an
attached comedy club.  Others demolished, however couldn't give a
monkeys .

austinbob

Pleased to say all three of the schools I attended are still going strong.
Gorringe Park primary school Mitcham
Merryhills primary school Enfield
Enfield Grammar school
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations